Saul Niguez

Birdy

OK, so in order to cut all the subjective BS about what people think Saul is, and not what he actually is,

the harsh truth of the numbers is the following:

comparison for season 20/21
(All stats per 90 min)

Carries per 90min:
Renato: 66.4
De Paul: 56.3
Winaldum: 46.4
Saul: 36.2

Total Distance with the ball per 90min:
De Paul: 375.8
Renato: 311.8
Winaldum: 262.2
Saul: 154.0

Progressive Distance with the ball per 90min:
De Paul: 222.2
Renato: 193.5
Winaldum: 124.0
Saul: 62.5 (this number is shocking btw)

Attempted Dribbles per 90min:
De Paul: 4.69
Renato: 4.11
Winaldum: 1.56
Saul: 0.8

Successful Dribbles per 90min:
De Paul: 3.15
Renato: 2.70
Winaldum: 1.04
Saul: 0.53

So, he is bottom in all categories related to the 'box to box' contribution of a mid, compared to the player Koeman wanted (Winaldum) and two players that the club should have targeted for that position (Renato, De Paul) just for the sake of comparison.

Guy carries the ball progressively the shocking number of 62.5 yards per 90 min. Standout box to box!

and let's move out of curiosity to the stats that Saul should at least SUPPOSEDLY be better than the others:

non-penalty xG per 90min:
Renato: 0.16
De Paul: 0.12
Winaldum: 0.1
Saul: 0.08

xAssists per 90min:
De Paul: 0.28
Renato: 0.11
Saul: 0.09
Winaldum: 0.05

LEt's give him the Ballon d' Or for having a fraction more xAssists per 90 than Winaldum who is notorious for never attempting those.

ShotCreatingActions per 90min:
De Paul: 4.61
Renato: 2.91
Winaldum: 1.62
Saul: 1.55

Ladies and Gentlemen, the club is getting a gem of a 'box to box' midfielder!!!
Stay seated and enjoy the ride

Last edited:

FC433

I would have been okay with either Felix/ De Paul, but Saul? we are actually helping them by getting Saul off of the.

vegitot

OK, so in order to cut all the subjective BS about what people think Saul is, and not what he actually is,

the harsh truth of the numbers is the following:

comparison for season 20/21
(All stats per 90 min)

Carries per 90min:
Renato: 66.4
De Paul: 56.3
Winaldum: 46.4
Saul: 36.2

Total Distance with the ball per 90min:
De Paul: 375.8
Renato: 311.8
Winaldum: 262.2
Saul: 154.0

Progressive Distance with the ball per 90min:
De Paul: 222.2
Renato: 193.5
Winaldum: 124.0
Saul: 62.5 (this number is shocking btw)

Attempted Dribbles per 90min:
De Paul: 4.69
Renato: 4.11
Winaldum: 1.56
Saul: 0.8

Successful Dribbles per 90min:
De Paul: 3.15
Renato: 2.70
Winaldum: 1.04
Saul: 0.53

So, he is bottom in all categories related to the 'box to box' contribution of a mid, compared to the player Koeman wanted (Winaldum) and two players that the club should have targeted for that position (Renato, De Paul) just for the sake of comparison.

Guy carries the ball progressively the shocking number of 62.5 yards per 90 min. Standout box to box!

and let's move out of curiosity to the stats that Saul should at least SUPPOSEDLY be better than the others:

non-penalty xG per 90min:
Renato: 0.16
De Paul: 0.12
Winaldum: 0.1
Saul: 0.08

xAssists per 90min:
De Paul: 0.28
Renato: 0.11
Saul: 0.09
Winaldum: 0.05

LEt's give him the Ballon d' Or for having a fraction more xAssists per 90 than Winaldum who is notorious for never attempting those.

ShotCreatingActions per 90min:
De Paul: 4.61
Renato: 2.91
Winaldum: 1.62
Saul: 1.55

Ladies and Gentlemen,
the club is getting a gem of a 'box to box' midfielder!!!

The club got garbage like Dembele so Saul is not bad. At least not worse than that.

JamDav1982

Yes, I am sure our setup will help him skyrocket those numbers. LOL

Brace yourself, all funny excuses are coming...

Aye and your stats said Braithwaite was best finisher in team early last season.

Dont take stats at face value and just leave Romano to tell you all about football.

FC433

It should have been loan with an option to buy, of course, Griezmann would be loaned with a fee.

clemente

Literally doesn't fit our style at all, I'll never understand these transfers, expecting Scissoko rumours soon

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I am sure Saul's regress is only temporary, he is in his physical prime. A move would reinvigorate him. He is not in a million years another Pjanic, that's just ridiculous to suggest. Wait and see. I will gladly take my L if he is a flop, but imo he will be a fine addition.

a bunch of stats

Wow, Saul had an underwhelming 20/21 season. What a shocker! Everyone knew that.

serghei

Literally doesn't fit our style at all, I'll never understand these transfers, expecting Scissoko rumours soon

He does fit exactly the role we are lacking in the midfield. That's actually one of the few things that make me excited about this swap deal. Not only is he a player that is a threat in offense and can score goals, but is a great defensive addition that will elevate this team in terms of grit and power.

I'm expecting a bit of Arturo Vidal.

This signing could improve our defensive coverage in midfield as well. That's not to be taken lightly. Won't be so easy breaking through our midfielders like it was last season.

Last edited:
I'm ok with this.
Saul would still reinforce our midfield.
Don't fool yourselves thinking that Busquets is starting material in 2021. Yes he had a great Euro tournament but he can't maintain that form during the season, plus UCL is much more competitive.
A midfield of De Jong/Saul/Pedri would be the strongest in Europe imo.
Next step would be to focus in the defense, starting by getting rid of Lenglet, Umtiti, Pique.

Home of Barca Fans