Ronald Koeman

Birdy

Dont see why he should stay, he doesnt have a clue to what formation he should be using, doesnt read matches well, has been stuck to that dull midfield with zero creativity with Puig playing 5 mins per match (d?j? vu all over again from EV days), prefers more physicality although he tries too hard to emulate "the barca style". Him looking to bring on Sergi Roberto in times of need just says it all. It doesn't matter if the squad is terrible. I doubt he would even achieve or integrate the team seamlessly even if he had options. He struggles to make things click because he just not tactically nuanced.

See him out regardless, silverware or not.

Plenty genuine attacking managers who can rebuild can make that work tbh.

Leaving aside for a moment that you don't see all the improvement since August 2020.

- Since when changing formations without changing football principles is a sign of being not tactically nuanced?
According to this logic, Pep should have been the most tactical dimwit out there since he played 9 (!) different formations when in charge at Bayern. Let alone that Bayern of 15/16 was the best team in Europe.

Thank God Koeman did not stick with the initial 4-2-3-1, as it would never have worked with Messi Griezman and Coutinho playing the 3 positions up top.
Not only changing formations shows adaptability to find what is optimal, it shows the tactical nuanced needed adjusting against different opponents.

- Then, OK you seem fairly biased in your assessment of players.
Midfield looks great without Puig, and creativity comes from Pedri, Messi droping deep, and creativity further back in the build up from Busi and Frenkie.
If there is something missing or not yet where it should be is not creativity, it's physicality. And it's evident the few minutes Illaix plays.

- Finally, I would like to hear what young manager out there would have effected a better improvement in these 6 months.
Even for Nagelsman, who is proven and I rate highly, I doubt...
He would not have claimed the same amount of authority from the players to play as he wished

You are right in only 1 point: Koeman does not make the right subs especially after 70 min.

Last edited:

Rassvet

Leaving aside for a moment that you don't see all the improvement since August 2020.
Just because he screwed up so badly at the beginning shouldn't mean he gets extra credit for improving us back to an acceptable level

Birdy

How did he screw up?
He started with a declined, terrible side, deformed after 3 years of Valverdeism, olde and ageing squad, demolished 8-2 a few weeks back, which was super-entitled, and had 0 intensity in its game.

Hard task for any coach

Horatio

You're welcome
How did he screw up?
He started with a declined, terrible side, deformed after 3 years of Valverdeism, olde and ageing squad, demolished 8-2 a few weeks back, which was super-entitled, and had 0 intensity in its game.

Hard task for any coach

Add to that spell of injuries and Messi hitting the worst form in his career and to this day still having some questionable players in the squad.

People say he screwed up? I say kind of hard to expect things to have gone differently.

Contrary to general belief I am not a Koeman fanboy. Just a realist.

Barcilliant

Imo sack him.

And I think Laporta feels the same

If you're calling for his head at least name his replacement. Too many posters want him sacked but have no clue who will replace him.
Xavi would be a populist move and a gamble. Naglesman is unproven at a big club and German. He would be a bigger gamble and would lack the authority of a big name ex player.

Barcilliant

I don't think now is the right time for Xavi to return. His buddies are still around and he lacks experience.
Naglesman already turned RM down recently.
Like I said earlier we'll probably end up with Blanc. It'll be interesting to see the reaction here if that happens.

Messigician

If you're calling for his head at least name his replacement. Too many posters want him sacked but have no clue who will replace him.
Xavi would be a populist move and a gamble. Naglesman is unproven at a big club and German. He would be a bigger gamble and would lack the authority of a big name ex player.

I would want Xavi.

Done very well in Qatar and is a midfield GOAT.

If not him then Klopp I would be happy with.

Although it won't happen I would bring back Valverde die to the amount of youth players we have and his eye for spotting youth.

Many posters on here were thinking why the fuck he's playing Fati over senior options and why he preferred Araujo over Todibo

Bobo32

- Since when changing formations without changing football principles is a sign of being not tactically nuanced?
According to this logic, Pep should have been the most tactical dimwit out there since he played 9 (!) different formations when in charge at Bayern. Let alone that Bayern of 15/16 was the best team in Europe.
9 different formations is a bullshit number that doesn't say anything, but I agree with your point that Pep too messes a lot with formations. Difference is Pep pretty much always succeeds in dominating the ball and the game, and in getting other advantages, both in regular games and against good opposition. Koeman is most often saved by Messi and others against much worse opponents, and crushed completely against good opposition, only really playing well when getting some psychological momentum in these games.
Thank God Koeman did not stick with the initial 4-2-3-1, as it would never have worked with Messi Griezman and Coutinho playing the 3 positions up top.
Not only changing formations shows adaptability to find what is optimal, it shows the tactical nuanced needed adjusting against different opponents.
It was good that he finally after a couple of months stopped playing the 4231 that looked so bad with these players and others occupying the same space.
He finally realized it wasn't working, just as he did with the 3-4-3 he tried after that. The 4-3-3 he left IIRC after PSG, blaming the formation, and then he pussied out of the 3-4-2-1 that seemed to work ok when facing Madrid.

Koeman isn't really showing adaptability, he is showing that he can realize a formation isn't working after a while. He showed he can also change his mind with players, for example with Pedri, whom he wanted out initially but since then has gained his unshakeable trust.

What he does is trust his favourite players, put them on the pitch in the formation he at the moment thinks is the best, and then pray for the best. Then when it doesn't work he goes completely mental sometimes in games, substituting all midfielders but Frenkie and playing only with defenders and attackers, or switching formation together with subs 3 times in the last 20 minutes of a game, losing any continuity or momentum.

He has a couple of dutch favourite players on the way in, if he gets them they will play a lot, and Koeman will return to the 4-2-3-1, only with Wijnaldum and Depay as clear starters.

- Then, OK you seem fairly biased in your assessment of players.
Midfield looks great without Puig, and creativity comes from Pedri, Messi droping deep, and creativity further back in the build up from Busi and Frenkie.
If there is something missing or not yet where it should be is not creativity, it's physicality. And it's evident the few minutes Illaix plays.

- Finally, I would like to hear what young manager out there would have effected a better improvement in these 6 months.
Even for Nagelsman, who is proven and I rate highly, I doubt...
He would not have claimed the same amount of authority from the players to play as he wished

You are right in only 1 point: Koeman does not make the right subs especially after 70 min.
I do not think the midfield looks great, and I do not think more physicality is needed.

Last edited:

Messigician

Put yourself in Laporta's shoes.

This dude wants Depay and Wijnaldum as well as Donny probably as starters.

Literally no one else wants those dudes.

Why not hire a new coach without a boner for mediocre Dutch players

Home of Barca Fans