Ronald Koeman

i_bleed_blaugrana

This pattern could have a lot of explanations.

When we face Roma or Liverpool, we can't defend against corners.
Real can.

When we face Roma or Liverpool, our only gameplan is pass to Messi and he is marked by 3.
Real for years had several attacking options: possession, fast counters or even crosses and headers

While I feel like it’s harsh to come at Messi and Frenkie in particular for being La Liga merchants, I do really agree with what you are saying here in the bolded parts. Basically, I would say that currently we are marginally better at playing possession than them but it is slow, predictable and lacks penetration. Too many times we do not move the ball quickly enough when in possession to open up gaps nor do we have enough passes that penetrate lines.

However, Real are clearly able to shift their playing style much more smoothly in a match and do what it takes to win a game against a particular team. And so much of that is because they have a good defensive base to work from even though their midfield and attack has been stronger in the past. Zidane really does not have an ego tactically as a coach, very pragmatic and adaptable and we need to be able to match this now moving forward.

For me, I have identified the main deficiencies attacking wise in possession and we need to again, take a closer look at what Lucho did for us. Our possession game was better back then but crucially, we knew how to counter attack efficiently and piece together complete attacking moves.

This for me is the biggest lesson for us from this match and potentially this season. We need to solidify our defense and rethink our attack. Garcia is a start, maybe him and Araujo will keep Lenglet out but we really need another CB so we can phase the Frenchmen out. I have also defended MaTS a lot in the past but you guys might be right about him mentally.

Haaland, another CB and maybe a LB could be enough to at least help us compete against Real and Atleti better next season and should be enough to get us deeper than the 16s in the CL.

But as much great work as he has done this season, this result really makes me question if things will really improve under Koeman if he is given another season. Even a CdR but an L to Atleti will not make me feel better about this, the more I think about it.

Last thing too: keep that fucking international break in mind here guys. That really fucked us a bit, we were in really strong form prior to that with the attack really ticking, the break came, the players went and played easy games in different systems and then we only had one match to get the rhythm back that was not necessarily a great display.

Koeman deserves this criticism and scrutiny but we certainly have not had luck on our side here.

Rory

The tactics going forward could change from pass to Messi or pass to Alba (so he can pass to Messi) if only there was quality in the final third in a creative sense. If we had a LW who could give us an outlet and option of creating down that side we'd be well ahead in la liga and would stand a chance in any UCL game. Without that we're still in with the chance of a domestic double and were comfortably the better in Paris. Not all doom and gloom but when your board can't sign a decent attacker it might as well be.

jamrock

Shouldn't have changed the XI from the previous game,Araujo wasn't ready, griezmann should have stayed in the XI, would probably have saved us 1 goal.

Porque

Imagine that Ilaix volley smashed in the goal off of the crossbar.

We have a new hero, LaLiga Is in our hands and suddenly the draw was deserved as the xG was equal over 90 mins and we also had a pen that didn't go to VAR.

The margins of football.

jairzinho

I am lately leaning towards how our tactics and a lot of players are perfectly suitable for La liga (playing against smaller teams).

Agreed. As soon as Koeman adjusted the tactics in the 2nd half we scored. In contrast, first half there was hardly any crosses and no one looking to make runs in the box to get on the end of them or shoot/head. It was just one dimensional slow possession which like you said is fine against Getafes/Levantes etc. Barca DNA possession isn't necessarily bad but when it's the only tactic it's easy to shut down. Against PSG, Madrid etc we need to have multiple ways to score. Possession, crosses, shots from outside etc. Headers from open play and corners etc.

Gari

Yesterday Vinisus could not escape from Mingeza. His speed was 32, Mingeza's speed was 34. It's time for Kuman to gather his own and only his team.

FCBfan22

Imagine that Ilaix volley smashed in the goal off of the crossbar.

We have a new hero, LaLiga Is in our hands and suddenly the draw was deserved as the xG was equal over 90 mins and we also had a pen that didn't go to VAR.

The margins of football.

And this is why we get beaten by top teams.

Equal xG, but we conciede more goals since our defending is shite. Add to that that we also score less, since our finishing is also shite. And here we go.

If we want to improve, we need to sort our shit in defense and GK department first. 2/3 shots on target concieded is horrible.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Had Ilaix ball went a centimeter lower or that sleazy Madridista ref called a penalty we'd be having roses and rainbows.

Doom and gloom instead.

Koeman openly said we needed defenders when he came here. Instead of signing some, we lost starting CB pair Pique-Umtiti. We are forced to play Frenchman who singlehandedly gave away few games and B team players noone ever heard of. And you guys expect a more solid defense from Koeman? :facepalm:

He's done wonders with a team that hit mental rock bottom.

FinBarcelonafan

I am lately leaning towards how our tactics and a lot of players are perfectly suitable for La liga (playing against smaller teams).

For example:
1) Messi is playing his 16th full season against the same opponents.
He knows perfectly well how to score against Getafe and Levante.
Also, majority of weaker La liga teams are latino/Spanish technical teams who rely more on technique and possession than on physique, fouls, aggression or headers.
So, to some extent, Messi got used to them and found a way how to terrorize Spanish minows.
But when we come to a CL: German or English teams are taller, faster, stronger, more aggressive than Getafe.
And what happens with Messi in matches outside of Getafe?
= he is easily tackled, outjumped or outmuscled in Europe. He is usually sulking or invisible and we lose. Yet, 3 days later against Getafe he scores 3 goals, we win La liga and people say how CL is about luck and momentum and La Liga is about consistency.

Imo, La liga is NOT about winning against big teams.
30-32 matches per season are against bad to average teams. A champion is NOT the one who plays the best against RM, but the one who finds the most efficient way to win against Getafe and Levante as often as possible.

And then we have Barca's style/Pep's stlye, which seems to be the best style against smaller opponents.
Paired with Messi's 16 years experience of terrorizing Getafe.
= and we get La Liga domination

But when Messi faces different teams than Getafe, what usually happens in the last few years?
1) Real Madrid = he can't dribble them anymore
2) CL = he is too slow for those defenses
3) NT teams = the same, he is easily neutralized by any random European defense, like Iceland, Croatia or France on the last world cup.

So, in the last few years, whenever Messi faces teams stronger, faster, better than Getafes, he is neutralized in let's say 8 out of 10 matches.

2) Suarez, while he was here:
He was banging 20-30 La liga goals, yet in a CL he scored 2-3 KO goals in a few years, iirc.

So, another monster in La liga and a WOAT in a CL.

3) Busi, the same story.
Awesome and instrumental for our play in La liga, yet an absolute disaster for faster CL opponents.

4) Mats, the same.
GOAT for La Liga and undisputed WOAT in high stakes matches.

5) Frenkie: stamina merchant who is awesome against weak La Liga teams, yet in Europe he is probably even a downgrade from Rakitic and Vidal.

Then a lot of us wonder HOW it is possible that we are winning La Ligas, yet Real is winning CLs yet stay behind us in La Liga?

What if our team is just limited and we are banging La ligas due to:
1) Pep's/Barca DNA tactics = a perfect style against minows
2) Messi knowing La liga opponents way too well
3) La liga teams playing softer football which is suitable for our slower possession football (unlike European opponents) and we can't get exploited in La liga?
= in general, WHAT IF we have just found a perfect trick how to win against Getafe/Levante as often as possible, but in general we aren't a formidable team for the highest level?

On the other hand, with RM, they didn't find a way to beat minows as consistently as we do.
But they have a better mental strength, better defense, better Gks and more different attacking options in Europe, compared to us, who's only gameplan is: dwell on a ball, pass it to Messi and he'll probably pull something.

When we face Roma or Liverpool, we can't defend against corners.
Real can.

When we face Roma or Liverpool, our only gameplan is pass to Messi and he is marked by 3.
Real for years had several attacking options: possession, fast counters or even crosses and headers.

And, of course, they have captains/leaders and they can turn around 0:1 matches, unlike us.

I hope that not too many will get mad, but what if we are La Liga merchants?
Or more precisely: what if we are Getafe/Levante merchants?
What if we are the same as Busi?
= we are perfect/suitable against one type of opponents?
And quite average when you move us from those opponents?

** this is related to Barca after 2014/2015.

Messi has insane record Vs PL teams. He is always fired up to play English clubs.

ItachiXXX

Valverde can beat better version of Real Madrid without Messi with just his De Amigos that this forum HATE so much. Just sayin ��

snowy

Had Ilaix ball went a centimeter lower or that sleazy Madridista ref called a penalty we'd be having roses and rainbows.

Doom and gloom instead.

Koeman openly said we needed defenders when he came here. Instead of signing some, we lost starting CB pair Pique-Umtiti. We are forced to play Frenchman who singlehandedly gave away few games and B team players noone ever heard of. And you guys expect a more solid defense from Koeman? :facepalm:

He's done wonders with a team that hit mental rock bottom.

2 Pens not 1 breh. Mendy also tripped Bouze in the box. And for the 2nd one, Colgate was at full speed with his body angled. Just a slight hold of his outstretched arm was enough to throw him off axe.

and then there was The Tony Lip double-hit pin-ball fluke anomalous magnetic dipole free kick.

There was Ilaix HTCB but also Leo's direct HTP Olympic. Who knows, maybe next time, Lady Luck will dance our side

I'm likin Koe's straight up no bs post-match talk asking why VAR is used in Spain. Also liking the way Team fought till the end. Would've been our 5th or 6th 2021 second half comeback I think...

Disclosure: Ahem... Haven't seen the Full match :lol:

waiting for it to be upped on BTV+ :D

Home of Barca Fans