Rafinha Alcantara

God Serena

Glad to see him proving doubters wrong.

I was also thinking yesterday that we could've had back to back trebles if he wasn't injured last season. Not saying he alone would win us CL but as mentioned he could give rest to Rakitić/Iniesta and maybe also Messi/Ney so they'd be more rested in April and that collapse maybe wouldn't happen. Because there is no doubt that Lucho would give him a lot of minutes if he'd been healthy.

I don't think so. Primarily because I don't believe our collapse was due to fatigue, but complacency.

BBZ8800

Glad to see him proving doubters wrong.

Rafinha played well recently, but saying that he proved doubters wrong sounds as if he played in a spectacular way against top opponents.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106590

He played only in all matches against weaker opponent.

Imo, it is hard to judge any of our players against these Mickey Mouse opponents, since in 90% of matches against those weaker teams when our team plays well:
1. Roberto looked like a world class Cm and Cdm
2. Munir looked like a real deal
3. Rafinha was very good as a Cm
4. in the past, Bartra looked like Bartresi against those crappy teams etc

Of course, there are some players like Montoya, Vidal, Douglas, Sandro, Gumbau and currently Paco who managed to play poor even against those weak opponents.

My point: when our team plays well against poor teams (when we have MSN), then even average players can put world class performances and we might get an impression that they are better than they actually are.

On one hand, almost all of our current players (except Vidal and Paco for now) are too good for 80-90% of La Liga teams.

But for a level of RM, Atletico, Sevilla, CL top teams and similar, then we can see how some of our players are of a world class level even for top matches, while some guys are just squad players and excellent for (Barca's) La liga level.

Till now, only Iniesta, Rakitic and Busi proved that they are world class level of midfielders for biggest matches.
Arda will show what he is capable of in this season.
Gomes has potential, but he is yet to prove/show what he can.
Rafinha, Roberto, Denis are still miles from proving that they are on required level as midfielders for the biggest matches (for lots of biggest matches in a row).
(Someone will reply: BUT Roberto played well against RM at Bernabeu in 2015. Again, it takes more than matches against weaker teams and more than 1-2 matches against top teams to earn a reputation of being good enough for the highest level of competition.
Even Bartra had good matches against PSG and AM 2-3 years ago.)

But, for the end, tbf Rafinha DID improve against weaker teams.
In the past, he was all over the place and most of the time one of our worst players on the pitch.
Lately he has been much better against weaker teams than before his injury.

Last edited:

snowy

Rafinha played well recently, but saying that he proved doubters wrong sounds as if he played in a spectacular way against top opponents.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/106590
But, for the end, tbf Rafinha DID improve against weaker teams.
In the past, he was all over the place and most of the time one of our worst players on the pitch.
Lately he has been much better against weaker teams than before his injury.

Maybe he's got more focus than b4? It's gotta be a mental thing. Don't think it's better conditioning. He looked both sharp and relaxed at the same time against Deportivo. His perfectly chipped lob at 6:52 above the defenders and straight into Ney's right foot was smooooth as pumpkin soup. :jacko:
Tomorrow's game will be a good test for those new signings who get to play.

BBZ8800

Maybe he's got more focus than b4? It's gotta be a mental thing. Don't think it's better conditioning. He looked both sharp and relaxed at the same time against Deportivo. His perfectly chipped lob at 6:52 above the defenders and straight into Ney's right foot was smooooth as pumpkin soup. :jacko:
Tomorrow's game will be a good test for those new signings who get to play.

For me, he improved on a tactical level.

In the past, whenever he played (for example, Iniesta-Rafinha-Busi at Camp Nou), Rafinha played too close to an opponent's box and we had a giant hole behind him.
As if our formation was not a classical 433 but 4114 (Busi-Iniesta and then Rafinha+MSN in attack).
A lot of people used to say that he is "all over the place", badly positioned etc.
And again, I always felt when he was on a field as if we play with 10 men.

Lately he played in a 442, but still, he was not "all over the place" anymore. In fact, he was on his position and wasn't leaving a giant hole infront and behind him.

Maybe he figured out what he was doing wrong or some coaches told him, and he improved in that area.
I personally have that "problem" with Denis currently, he plays similar to old Rafinha, when he is on a field I also feel as if we play 424 or some formation with 2 midfielders and 2 wingers on a side where Denis plays, he leaves a too huge hole behind him also (Rafinha didn't play as a Cm but as a too attacking Cam, and that was causing problems, while Denis drifts more to a wing from a Cm position and creating the same "giant hole" problem on his supposed Cm position, the same as old Rafinha).

Who knows, maybe Denis will also learn, the same as Rafinha did?

Anyway, Rafinha improved, but there is still a long step from being good against weaker La Liga teams to being a player on whom you can count in a CL semis when you are losing 2:1 to Bayern.

Rafinha is surely not there yet, but since he slightly improved, who knows, we will see how will he develop further.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
We scored like 4-5 goals already this season from his interceptions. I'm glad his defensive side of the game is improving, he's more tenacious and intense.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We were just talking how our midfield sucks when Rafinha scored. :)

He really has a knack for scoring. Already at 5 or 6.

dakt

So as a midfielder he has more goals in less games than Neymar. Plus he's scoring some crucial goals for us. Interesting.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans