Quique Setien

Birdy

So, the 'sepherd' Quique, who is worse than Koeman Valverde and any coach you can imagine basically, only good to take care of his sheep,
plays the mighty Madrid - under one of the best coaches if not the best coach in the world RIGHT NOW according to some - off the park...

To all the clowns :clown: in here

Bobo32

lol I can't keep track of which of you were positive towards Quique or not. I don't think Birdy is really intellectually honest here, but who knows....

My view of Setien was always that he would be a GREAT coach for Barcelona if only he had the power to transmit his ideas completely. I think some of the players distrusted him, and I believe the board signed him against their own will, looking for any sign to devalue his influence right from the start. Setien arrived in a tough time, very turbulent, and it was very obvious he left his own ideas for a few games before he was sacked.

Birdy

lol I can't keep track of which of you were positive towards Quique or not. I don't think Birdy is really intellectually honest here, but who knows....

My view of Setien was always that he would be a GREAT coach for Barcelona if only he had the power to transmit his ideas completely. I think some of the players distrusted him, and I believe the board signed him against their own will, looking for any sign to devalue his influence right from the start. Setien arrived in a tough time, very turbulent, and it was very obvious he left his own ideas for a few games before he was sacked.

Why am I not intellectually honest Bobo?

serghei

He does not know how to handle big stars, especially mega-pampered ones like the amigos clan. You need a certain personality and a lot of charisma for that. He does not have that, but he's a good tactician, but that is useless if you lack too much in some key areas. If you can't command a team all hell breaks loose.

Porque

He does not know how to handle big stars, especially mega-pampered ones like the amigos clan. You need a certain personality and a lot of charisma for that. He does not have that, but he's a good tactician, but that is useless if you lack too much in some key areas. If you can't command a team all hell breaks loose.

It wouldn't have mattered if he could. They would never have given him a chance based off of his profile. Board should have learnt that from Tata Martino.

And I believe that if the reports were true, that the Messi clan were still very much behind Valverde.

serghei

It wouldn't have mattered if he could. They would never have given him a chance based off of his profile. Board should have learnt that from Tata Martino.

And I believe that if the reports were true, that the Messi clan were still very much behind Valverde.

If he had a big name... could have had more authority imo.

Birdy

Ernie didnot have that as well, Koeman possibly too. Many coaches, and some WC coaches, don't have that ability

But Ernie was protected by the Amigos because he was letting them make him their puppet on and off the field
Setien wouldn't do that, that's why he was targeted

serghei

Ernie didnot have that as well, Koeman possibly too. Many coaches, and some WC coaches, don't have that ability

But we was protected by the Amigos because he was letting them make him their puppet on and off the field
Setien wouldn't do that, that's why he was targeted

Ernie was smart to know that at Barca the amigos had to like you, so he was very docile. That is quite perfect attitude to get on the better side of some pampered megastars. If I remember correctly it was Eder Sarabia that started the frictions between staff and players under Setien. Hard to say exactly in detail.

Last edited:

Birdy

Ernie was smart to know that at Barca the amigos had to like you, so he was very docile. If I remember correctly it was Eder Sarabia that started the frictions between staff and players under Setien. Hard to say exactly in detail.

I don't know if it's 'smart' to be a puppy of a player clan, but certainly it's not a compliment to his reputation
On the contrary, it's a stain

serghei

I don't know if it's 'smart' to be a puppy of a player clan, but certainly it's not a compliment to his reputation
On the contrary, it's a stain

Either that, or go down swinging and take a hit on the players publicly. Setien did neither, he was dumb and naive.

Both were very flexible with their principles, but Barca is Barca. And it's just football in the end, life is different.

Last edited:

Birdy

Either that, or go down in flames and take a hit on the players publicly. Setien did neither, he was dumb and naive.

Both were very flexible with their principles, but Barca is Barca. And it's just football in the end, life is different.

It's not naivety Serghei, it's a question of principles
Some people are not willing to abandon their principles to stay protected
In seriously run clubs, where the keys of authority are really handed to the coach, and not to any or some players, the coach imposes his will in the end

But football is always fair eventually on that front, as it exposes everyone:
Ernie got what he deserved for his servile slavish stance

serghei

It's not naivety Serghei, it's a question of principles
Some people are not willing to abandon their principles to stay protected
In seriously run clubs, where the keys of authority are really handed to the coach, and not to any or some players, the coach imposes his will in the end

But football is fair at the end: Ernie was exposed big time, he and his servile slavish stance

That is theoretically true, but the fault is of the board in that case. Not EV's.

EV could have acted differently in a different setup, we will never now, but if the club doesn't ensure good working conditions, and does quite the opposite... then I think it's fair for the manager to adapt to that the way he sees fit.

EV did a good job overall, but he didn't get top job after Barca precisely because the club seemed to be managing him than the other way around.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans