Quique Setien

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Cannot be. Schuster didn't manage Real Madrid when Pep was appointed. Dani Alves was signed after Pep was hired as well.

Pep probably faced the toughest Real Madrid teams of the last 10-15 years.

KingLeo10

Give him even younger Messi, peak Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Puyol and move Schuster back to a Madrid with Drenthe, Gago and I think he’d be a lock to win the title this year

You do realize Pep also dominated a RM team with prime CR7, young Benz, young Higuain, Ramos, Pepe, Xabi Alonso, Casillas, Marcelo among others like Ozil, Kaka, Di Maria with peak Mou 5-0 and in the CL SFs, right?

serghei

Cannot be. Schuster didn't manage Real Madrid when Pep was appointed. Dani Alves was signed after Pep was hired as well.

He did, briefly. Didn't he said Madrid have no chance on Camp Nou or something like that and he was replaced?

DonAK

Oh wait, I failed with a year lol. Anyway, Pep also beat Pellegrini's RM that got 96 points as well as Mourinho's RM that got 92 points.

serghei

No just that I find it weird you are undermining Ernesto’s titles by saying the RM was weak. Well, RM’s team looked like shit back in 08/09 and back then Cholo wasn’t a thing.

Come on, dude

No, 1st season he would've won the league anyway. 2nd season he benefited for sure from having weak rivals. Madrid had 12(!!!) defeats last season.

Best performance of Valverde in 2.5 seasons was his 2017-18 very good La Liga+Copa campaign. Everything else was ok or terrible (the 2 CL humiliations and the Copa defeat to Valencia, plus this half a season were all terrible).

Last edited:

DonAK

You're comparing Real Madrid teams that gained 90+ points with the last couple of Madrid teams that couldn't even break 80.

FCBfan22

The thing is our squad is so washed up stamina-wise that his arrival will need quite some time to gain effect...

Marshall D Teach

Lmao.

Pep had 3 Liga titles, Lucho had 2, Tito had 1, EV had 2 and we pushed to the very end in Tata's season and Lucho's final year.

Point being, we were going to compete for La Liga with whoever the manager of this team was.

A combination of Messi carrying this team and Real and Atletico being washed up was going to put Barca in prime position for Liga regardless who was in charge.

We'll probably compete for the title this season too, even if Setien turns out to be a complete bust.

We lost nothing by firing Valverde. Aside from that giant pile of cash we gave him.

serghei

We were predicted for disaster after losing Neymar and signing Paulinho. Stop twisting the narrative.

Lol. Only amateurs predicted that. The La Liga form of prime Messi Barca was there for everybody to see. It preceded Neymar, and it's not suprise it followed after him as well.

gregorrin10

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is an interesting detail:<br><br>Setien's contract actually has 3 segments: 6 months + 1 year + 1 year.<br><br>It can be cancelled without penalty after each period ends. <a href="https://t.co/3XV40LXP81">https://t.co/3XV40LXP81</a></p>— total Barça (@totalBarca) <a href="https://twitter.com/totalBarca/status/1216858166039732225?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tw]

[MENTION=20770]Raketa10[/MENTION] see this and stop panicking. If this is true, it's a brilliant deal.

Riordon

You're comparing Real Madrid teams that gained 90+ points with the last couple of Madrid teams that couldn't even break 80.

Well, it’s not my point. But you simply can’t undermine two Liga titles by saying the rivals were bad. In fact RM 08/09 was horrible, look at that team. And Cholo wasn’t even a thing back then. Should we downplay our 08-09 campaigns aswell? No. RM of the last few years still won CL while they got knocked out in the 1/16 before. Should this downplay Pep and his achievements? Not in my worls

Last edited:

Marshall D Teach

Well, it’s not my point. But you simply can’t undermine two Liga titles by saying the rivals were bad. In fact RM 08/09 was horrible, look at that team. And Cholo wasn’t even a thing back then. Should we downplay our 08-09 campaigns aswell? No.

Why was the 08/09 season so great? Was it because we beat a mediocre Madrid side to a league title? Or because we won the CL?

Home of Barca Fans