Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

serghei

Am I missing something? Weren't the two VAR calls correct?

No. You can't make milimetrical offside decisions without the technical certification that the margin of error is not bigger than that. These guys look at pixels. They zoomed so much to see the 'offside' that you could see the actual pixels forming the image. That like 64x zoom. The system is not that precise to have that kind of certainty and decide offside by pixels.

EPL VAR is a travesty.

A rule should be made that if an offside is not visible without a zoom, then it's not offside. Only EPL morons can go from not sanctioning 2m offsides to giving offsides for 2mm of extra boot width for some guy, that only exists if everything that was done prior to that was millimetricaly perfect almost.

Last edited:

Tiny Kim

No. You can't make milimetrical offside decisions without the technical certification that the margin of error is not bigger than that. These guys look at pixels. They zoomed so much to see the 'offside' that you could see the actual pixels forming the image. That like 64x zoom. The system is not that precise to have that kind of certainty and decide offside by pixels.

EPL VAR is a travesty.

A rule should be made that if an offside is not visible without a zoom, then it's not offside. Only EPL morons can go from not sanctioning 2m offsides to giving offsides for 2mm of extra boot width for some guy, that only exists if everything that was done prior to that was millimetricaly perfect almost.

Isn't that the whole point of VAR? At least in theory? Its supposed to clarify the normally difficult-to-see incidents, right? Yes, VAR implementation in its current form is far from perfect, but its still statistically more reliable than the non-VAR era in the Premier League. And BTW, that call was a tad more than 2mm. More like an inch. Its a similar margin by which VAR also ruled out Firmino's goal against Watford earlier this season. I don't remember people losing their minds over that one. If we're going to cherry-pick only the ones where it benefits a team we don't like, then we'll never be satisfied with any "tight" calls, VAR or no VAR.

FinBarcelonafan

EPL VAR is a travesty.

Isn't the error rate around 14cm-17cm? I think they should leave marginal offsides be..

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Isn't that the whole point of VAR? At least in theory? Its supposed to clarify the normally difficult-to-see incidents, right? Yes,

No.
It is supposed to correct "clear" mistakes.
If the referees in the VAR room found it was wrong decision but close, it should remain. That is how it suppose to work.
FIFA actually warned them about that. They are overusing it.

El Gato

Villarato!
This was always going to be an issue and you can't debate zoom here. If the refs get to have a second look at it and are able to make a determination, VAR should be the final decider in any situation where a potential mistake was made, regardless of whether it was 'cLeAr aNd oBvIOus'.

Gnidrologist

Yeah, i was generally in favor of VAR prior to it's implementation, but now, when i see it in action, i say - fucking scrub it. It makes things even worse.
The 10 minutes to get pixel perfect decision whose nose was closer to goal or going back minutes in the play prior to goal and dismissing it because there was minor hand pull or something, while not doing the same scrutiny in other goal situations... I could go on and on. As often, we come up with good ideas and nice technologies, but keep failing, because humans as we are, we're just kinda dumb. Football was better without VAR even with some horrific mistakes. VAR just make these mistakes or autistic scrutiny that still makes things wrong, a farce that's painful to watch. Another instance of decline of Western civilization. :lol:

Alik

I don't watch the EPL. But anything that stops Madrid's "luck" in the CL and La Liga is good for me.

Demog

VAR was supposed to be used only for the real shit decisions. Now they check everything and the ref is always to cover his ass.
Exactly. The English refs have become useless because they use VAR to check every single thing now. A goal can be scored and they will check the entire sequence leading to the goal in case something minor happened along the way which nobody in the ground noticed but VAR has detected by using 100 cameras, ultra slow-motion, zoom, digital enhancements etc. It's absurd and it's ruining the English game.

Tiny Kim

Exactly. The English refs have become useless because they use VAR to check every single thing now. A goal can be scored and they will check the entire sequence leading to the goal in case something minor happened along the way which nobody in the ground noticed but VAR has detected by using 100 cameras, ultra slow-motion, zoom, digital enhancements etc. It's absurd and it's ruining the English game.

Personally as it stands, I prefer VAR over no VAR, but with some tweaks to the VAR usage rules and regulations, of course. But even without that, its still an improvement over the no VAR era. There's always going to be people moaning about anything. Its human nature. We wanted VAR/replay-assistance for referees desperately for years. Now that its here, we apparently prefer the old method where we whine incessantly about almost all referee decisions for years after the incidents took place, because VAR over-analyzed a few (still correct) incidents. That's sad.

Home of Barca Fans