Philippe Coutinho

KingLeo10

If we were going strictly by peak performance during a year:

Ballon D'Or CLEARLY goes to Messi in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019. 2021 and 2010 are arguable (I would personally give it to Xavi for 2010)

Ballon D'Or CLEARLY goes to CR7 in 2008, 2014, 2017. 2013, 2016, 2018 are arguable (I would personally give it to Ribery or Robben for 2013 due to treble +performances but CR7 was right up there individually on performances. Messi was unfortunately injured or he would be here too)

So, it's 5 definitely + maybe 2 vs. 3 definitely + maybe 3.

I think the tally as it stands reflects the "truth"... which is Messi being better than CR7 but not by a huge margin.

Zidane82

He is taking tons of touches every time he is on the ball. Even if it is in a situation without pressure.
I am not able to see anything positive in his game right now. Although he managed to score against Valencia.

He?s easily been the best player on the pitch since he came on

Catta

Ronaldo is more famous among non football fans but Messi is more popular among football fans

I don't think so. Most of the younger generations have Ronaldo as their idol. Even the two current best young players look up to Ronaldo.

FC B

Messi is as popular as Ronaldo if not more.

Go check their soccial media accounts bro and you'll convince yourself. As for late august 2021 Cristiano had much more followers as it shows : fb 122mill, insta 241 mill, twitter 87.8mill as opposed to Messi with "only" fb 90.5mill, insta 167mill and twitter 0.

Not to mention Cristiano is a marketing beast overall not that messi has none but is way behind just like Cristiano is behind in football terms/stats.

JamDav1982

Fluffed his chance badly near end but probably Barcas best player in that half.

At least try to take ball in areas could hurt them and was about only one spreading the play.

FDJ, Busi Gavi just seemed to be on the outside of the game where Real wanted them on ball.

JohnN

Coutinho was ok and tried this game. Can't expect him to pull of Messi actions. The team needs a method of approaching the goal and creating chances. We can't expect individual actions all the time.

serghei

I think he was good in the center. Better than in the wing. He's basically a central attacking midfielder. Crappy winger.

vegitot

If we were going strictly by peak performance during a year:

Ballon D'Or CLEARLY goes to Messi in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019. 2021 and 2010 are arguable (I would personally give it to Xavi for 2010)

Ballon D'Or CLEARLY goes to CR7 in 2008, 2014, 2017. 2013, 2016, 2018 are arguable (I would personally give it to Ribery or Robben for 2013 due to treble +performances but CR7 was right up there individually on performances. Messi was unfortunately injured or he would be here too)

So, it's 5 definitely + maybe 2 vs. 3 definitely + maybe 3.

I think the tally as it stands reflects the "truth"... which is Messi being better than CR7 but not by a huge margin.

Messi is better, by a huge margin. It is not even debatable. Just like Capello said: Only three genius, Pele Maradona and Messi.

Home of Barca Fans