Philippe Coutinho

Zidane82

You should try watching his Barca games sometimes, not his Liverpool highlights on youtube.

Apart from his long shots, where a good one comes every leap year, he is nothing better than Denis Suarez.

When he came on the other day he was bright and quick footed , joined in well with the play and had a half decent shot over the bar with his weaker left foot ..

iniestaGOAT

In 2005, during a few Months, Spanish papers were writing how Ronnie and Etoo are two best players in the World.
Also, back then, Etoo and his agent said a few times: if I were a Brazilian, I would win Ballon D Or, African players rarely win it because nobody is buying our shirts/there isn't too many sponsors, all in all it is more lucrative for Uefa to give it to players from the biggest or richest countries.

For example, in 2005 I bought a jersey and it was Etoo's.
In that moment, he was by far my favorite player, better than Ronaldinho.

Imo, his prime years were 2004/05 and 2005/06.
He scored a lot in 2008/09, but imo that Barca was stronger and worked like a machine.
While 2004's Barca was a crap and it turned into an awesome team mostly due to Ronnie and Etoo.
So, he was the reason why Barca 2004-06 was great, while in 2009 he was just "one of the guys".

I dont know why you are writing essays. Everybody knows he was the GOAT striker but he is simply not better than prime ronaldinho and messi.

BBZ8800

I dont know why you are writing essays. Everybody knows he was the GOAT striker but he is simply not better than prime ronaldinho and messi.

Who mentioned Messi?

I mentioned 2005 and 2006.
He was 10th in 2005 and 6th in 2006, which is too low.

In the last 30-ish years, Weah was the only player who was in top3 who:
1. came from a poor country
2. who came from a country which is not too popular among football sponsors

You could add Shevchenko and Modric to that list, but their countries are still European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or

Basically, in the whole history of Ballon D Or, Weah is the only player finishing in the top3, who:
1. isn't from Europe
2. isn't from Brasil or Argentina

All the money and accolades are reserved only for those two: Europeans, Brasil & Argentina.
Between players from Pakistan, Morocco, England and Brazil, the last two will always get more votes.
The same as how refs will always "push" similar big NT teams in KO matches on World cups/Euros/Copa Americas.

So, Etoo was probably right too some extent: if his name was Etodinho, he would probably end in top3 in those years.

iniestaGOAT

Who mentioned Messi?

I mentioned 2005 and 2006.
He was 10th in 2005 and 6th in 2006, which is too low.

In the last 30-ish years, Weah was the only player who was in top3 who:
1. came from a poor country
2. who came from a country which is not too popular among football sponsors

You could add Shevchenko and Modric to that list, but their countries are still European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or

Basically, in the whole history of Ballon D Or, Weah is the only player finishing in the top3, who:
1. isn't from Europe
2. isn't from Brasil or Argentina

All the money and accolades are reserved only for those two: Europeans, Brasil & Argentina.
Between players from Pakistan, Morocco, England and Brazil, the last two will always get more votes.
The same as how refs will always "push" similar big NT teams in KO matches on World cups/Euros/Copa Americas.

So, Etoo was probably right too some extent: if his name was Etodinho, he would probably end in top3 in those years.

Who cares about top 3? Even if his name was etodinho from brazil he still wouldnt have won the ballondor.

vegitot

Ballon dor is usually about images. Of course you need to be brillant but your image is something important as well. So that media can push.

Suarez deserves 2014 and 2016 with his incredible performances for Liverpool and Barca but he never has a chance because he is a villain in media eyes.

jamrock

Ballon d'or is a joke, cannavaro won it for defending well for 7 games, lewa didn't win it because of Covid despite crushing everything in his bath for a year & a half.

FC B

We have a comedian

Go to google, copy paste the most popular football player and go to the first result which should be from sportsshow, or you can check for yourself on the social media to find out which player has the most followers around.

Home of Barca Fans