Petrinha's Barca

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Uhh... I wish I could go 100 years back to experience the atmosphere of Modernism. Gaudi was ahead of his time and I think many contemporary artists could learn a lot about originality from his work. I think he would felt quite disappointed with how architecture developed. He was a genius and as many brilliant minds died a poor man.
Great photos Petra.

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Thank u Bojan, i just enjoyed his dream ... he reminds me so much of big Leo and Hundertwasser, of Leo by the way he made 1000 studies before he was about to construct anything, especially the way he studied nature's angles and curves and incorporated them into designs and mosaics. And Hundert via shapes, coloures, architecture visions ... and bohemic life ...
Also liked his political artistic involvment by incorpiorating catalan details into his work :D

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Thanx guys !!

Had footie and all other type of queen time indeed Assim ;)

Good to make u inspired for travel Lio :D

Bit more of Gaudi in the work break :snap:

So, Casa Batlló, named Skeleton house by the locals (Casa dels ossos) coz of it's skeletal organic quality.

As it's unfortunately closed for visitors i was able to take only fascade pics, but was enchanted by it, so so amazingly beautiful as it's decorated with a mosaic made of broken ceramic tiles that starts in shades of golden orange moving into greenish blues.

The roof is arched and likened to the back of a dragon.It's an allegory of the legend of St.George (patron saint of Catalonia) - the roof is supposed to be dragon's back, balconies r in the shape of the carnivalesque masks representing the skulls of the dragon's victims (that local name can be connected to this also) while the cross represents saint's sword plunged into the back of the dragon. It's definitely a building that shows Gaudi's nationalism.

2akjiw5.jpg

9gdgcn.jpg

25rm1pi.jpg

2s8sho4.jpg

n72oo.jpg

2z68mmo.jpg

at nite

34imgpz.jpg

I am sooo in love with his house from the first sight ... so so dreamy reliving the allegory :wub:

Am afraid to show ya guys how it looks alike from the inside as ud fall in love too and u can't as the house is mineeeee :D
(these r net pics as wasn't allowed to enter :( ... will have to search the connection next time i'm there :))

bfkm1k.jpg

ic5ze9.jpg

j0lcty.jpg

124g1hf.jpg

1z2qed3.jpg

Breathtaking fairytale :wub:

Last edited:

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
If you were a man and bought that house you would live a life of solitude, you would never find a wife that would take that on!

S

Super Pippo

Amazing photos Petra, you have an eye for an architect I am sure :)

Was interesting what you said for the dragon symbolism in Casa Batlló, for sure it could be and I can see it, modernismo - especially Gaudi, is famous for its nationalist sentiments. I was taught that this buildings symbolism is to represent the sea. The bottom level is made to look like a sea cavern, very dark with scale effect on walls, then the next levels are like the water, with blue tiles and glass, the upper most level is very sharp white arches like breaking waves, then finally the roof terrace is like the surface of the waves - the shapes of the tiles. It is meant to be like a journey from the bottom of the sea to the surface, dark to light.

I don't like too much the work of Gaudi, but this interests me, I like how peoples imagination takes over for the meaning of the shapes and colors.

Did you take any of the contemporary architecture there?

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
If you were a man and bought that house you would live a life of solitude, you would never find a wife that would take that on!

Well firstly if id be able to afford a house like this am sure d be able to pay the maids so me and my wife have more time for our own pleasure after work(since i d never marry a lazy cow :p) or if i am a man and not marriage type d easily have french maids in the morning and mistresses during the night living the bohemic life in all the curves and coloures house has to offer :p

Amazing photos Petra, you have an eye for an architect I am sure :)
Oh thank u, a compliment coming from the architect himslef has a greater meaning :)

Was interesting what you said for the dragon symbolism in Casa Batlló, for sure it could be and I can see it, modernismo - especially Gaudi, is famous for its nationalist sentiments. I was taught that this buildings symbolism is to represent the sea. The bottom level is made to look like a sea cavern, very dark with scale effect on walls, then the next levels are like the water, with blue tiles and glass, the upper most level is very sharp white arches like breaking waves, then finally the roof terrace is like the surface of the waves - the shapes of the tiles. It is meant to be like a journey from the bottom of the sea to the surface, dark to light.

Nice connection, can be, as Gaudi merged his works with the nature so sea d be a logical choice . I lernt in high school it's about the St. George and tend to see it this way since am in literature bussiness and this symbolism, connected to national aspirationes, arrises since middle ages till now ... the beauty is that anybody can have his own interpretation, and since i am also a theatre person i could describe it good putting it in carnivalesque world starting with those balcony masks going deep into ppl's characters and times Antonio lived in :)

I don't like too much the work of Gaudi, but this interests me, I like how peoples imagination takes over for the meaning of the shapes and colors.
:) Exactly, ppl immagination and dreams r endless, it's nice to see ppl that made them through this way. I said before he reminds me of Hundertwasser a bit, what u think of him? Now when u r in Austria more often am sure u saw his works :p

Did you take any of the contemporary architecture there?
Oh yeah, plenty :) It's just i have lil time and wanna show so much so they will have to wait, but when they come here i expect your professional eye to teach us few things about the buildings okay? :D

S

Super Pippo

Thanks Petra, but I only have a few more months of getting to say that am an architect - just like Italia being World Champions, I am losing all the things that I had going for me for something I can't really tell anybody, ah well. :lol:

I know of Hundertwasser work, I was taught it in the same lessons as Gaudi, Olbrich, Horta and MacIntosh etc, but I never have seen his buildings in the flesh. For sure this summer when I am there I will go and see, but from what I know his buildings don't have the same level of difficulty and impracticality of Gaudi, so I might like more, even if I don't like the look so much.

Look forward to seeing your other photos then. :)

Merv

Petrinha, I didn't realize your pictures had been moved, just lucky to have seen everyone commenting on them and found my way here.

I've seen several documentaries on Gaudi's work in Barcelona and the nature of his designs are very intriguing. Unlike anything I've ever seen.

The Skeleton House at night, the lighting make the balconies look like reptiles to me. Anyway, your pictures are absolutely fabulous. What a vacation it must have been on all accounts. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Thanx Merv & welcome :) U know, lookiing at them again while putting them up here makes me relive the moments forgetting the cruel reality i am brought back to hehe :)

Home of Barca Fans