Pele

Temptation

Greatest there ever was. Greatest there ever will be. Period.

RIP. The man who's bigger than the sport itself. No one will ever have such impact and influence.

One of the greatest athletes that ever lived.

Birdy

RIP King
These two vids will blow your mind away!!

All the signature moves and great goals of all great footballers of our times have been first done by the King of Football!
The variety of moves this guy had into his locker is nothing short of astonishing...

Horatio

You're welcome
All the signature moves and great goals of all great footballers of our times have been first done by the King of Football!
The variety of moves this guy had into his locker is nothing short of astonishing...

I have to say I share your sentiment. A huge variety of skills displayed there. Also consider pitch conditions and the ball were less than optimal compared to now. I am left surprised.

However, defending looks utter shite.

Also, football was not as competitive back then. Scouting was not same as now. The number of people today "trying to make it into football" will dwarf whatever those numbers were back then. I always had the theory that if your were a specially talented player back in those days you would have been able to create a much bigger advantage than now.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

I mean, he's part of the triumvirate.

Pele, Maradona, and Messi are the undisputed best of their eras. For most players and fans of the modern era, Messi is the undisputed GOAT but for players and fans that grew up in the 1960s and 70s, that's Pele.

His role as a sporting icon though and his social work is simply amazing.

Birdy

Also, football was not as competitive back then. Scouting was not same as now. The number of people today "trying to make it into football" will dwarf whatever those numbers were back then. I always had the theory that if your were a specially talented player back in those days you would have been able to create a much bigger advantage than now.

Works the other way also?
Scouting these days unearths talent all around the globe, and prospects for a career are put forward to any even moderately talented player
Back then talent was not enough for a career, you had to have super special talent and a certain kind of personality that would allow you to succeed

L3v1s

He was the player that my grandfather was talking about all the time. Undoubtedly one of this sport's ambassadors, if not THE ambassador. He's probably one of the reasons football became so huge and was also part of the Brazil team that reaped so much glory. We wouldn't think of Brazil like we think today if it wasn't for the likes of Pele, Garrincha, Jairzinho etc. One of the best players of all time(and the best of his generation). It's crazy how many legends of the game we've lost recently. There's only Beckenbauer left from that generation.

RIP.

khaled_a_d

First done as he has done it before them? or was the creator?
If it is the later, then we actually don't know that, despite that video that is circulating past few days that everyone is sharing.
There was plenty of talented and creative players long before Pele, actually even before he was born by some time, especially in Brazil and South America in general.
But televising Sports started in the late 30's and only a decade later live sport was a thing, and this was in more wealthier countries. The 1st World Cup on TV was in 1954, and Pele started playing in the next one.
Many of those moves he made were likely influenced by older players and peers, but during that time there was only a Pele, and he wasn't known for his modesty or honesty either. So we simply don't know the "creator" of such moves or learned them.

That said, Pele came in a perfect time and was the ambassador the game needed, as I said above he came at the start of live sport broadcasting and gave people a reason to watch, and even more, a reason to follow the game globally and care about stars in other continents, he will always be a pioneer for that. Was also a charismatic character and player, sort like Ronaldinho was during his prime, he was simply that guy who enjoyed playing and played with a smile on his face.

In a modern day, it is like the Messi vs CR7 effect during the early days of social media, when Tech companies essentially owned the world. They created biggest rivalry in sport that helped the game to grow even more in countries and areas the game wasn't as popular, putting more focus on stuff like Balon d'or and CL to higher extent. Even that isn't quit a match for Pele effect.

Home of Barca Fans