Nico Gonzalez

khaled_a_d

Can't seem to compare him to another player. Don't know if I'm missing anyone when trying to think of somebody.

The Gavi's, Pedri's, Riqui's are easy to compare with the small wizards football's had over the years.

But Nico is a weird case. It's like he's one of those players mentioned above trapped in a big body.
He's surprisingly mobile, even if his physique gets in the way his intentions sometimes. Not a defensive rock either as he feels clumsy at times, but it seems to be the case with most up and coming players that are of BBZ heights.

It's his birthday today btw, not a teenager anymore. Congratz!

Maybe Ballack? Although we will be lucky if he reaches such heights

serghei

Maybe Ballack? Although we will be lucky if he reaches such heights

More like Fabinho imo. Ballack was almost a playmaker for me. But he is hard to compare with other players because he's not anywhere near of a finished product.

Similar to Rodri a bit too, especially as Rodri has a bigger impact offensively this season.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

More like Fabinho imo. Ballack was almost a playmaker for me. But he is hard to compare with other players because he's not anywhere near of a finished product.

Similar to Rodri a bit too, especially as Rodri has a bigger impact offensively this season.

Nico will be advanced player though, so I don't see Fabinho comparison.
he is closer to AM than CM, never mind DM which he will be disaster there

serghei

Nico will be advanced player though, so I don't see Fabinho comparison.
he is closer to AM than CM, never mind DM which he will be disaster there

Depends which part of his game will he be able to upgrade. I think the best route for him would be to get sharper physically as he ages and hone his defensive skills more.

Our AM is probably going to be Pedri.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I feel this. He is going to develop at the speed of an oil tanker. But he has a big potential that is going to both frustrate and impress the Barcelona fans along the way.

Hes sometimes a bit too much of a passenger though. Always looking for tbe simple option who he relies on to create, when he has the ability to take actions himzelf. Dembele when hes playing, Puig today.

Gavi is something else though. I can only imagine how good Gavi would have been today in Puig position, though Puig put in an impressive shift.

Nico has been fair more impactful with passing and scoring in final third this season than likes of Puig.

There was a stretch of 3/4 games where he was the one creating the best chances for Barca in final third and decent chances not just laying ball off for long range efforts that count as a 'key pass'.

Andresito

Staff member
He offers something different to our midfield. Carries the ball the way we expected Frenkie to do.
He's far from perfect I should say, but I really enjoy his playing style. Actually dares to shoot from distance from time to time compared to the other choirboys.

Got the assist for Jutgla's goal and could've had another if Ilias' finish would've been more composed.

I was sure he was going to become a future DM but I'll happily take the L on that. He's actually better further up the pitch when he has freedom and space to move. Still behind Gavi and Pedri in terms of maturity, but I see a lot of potential.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He's still a little bit too raw, especially his decision making and game reading... He can become a great player if coached correcty...

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I thought he was decent, but was too timid on the ball and often went for the easiest option. He had a couple of nice dribbles that immediately created space. Played a bit deep though in a double pivot with Busi. He is better further up.

Porque

Linked to City again. This guys renewals have also always been a bit Ilaix-esque.

Hope we keep a hold of him and Gavi long term obviously. Though there isnt the space for he, Gavi and Pedri unless one is moved to DMC.

Bobo32

Linked to City again. This guys renewals have also always been a bit Ilaix-esque.

Hope we keep a hold of him and Gavi long term obviously. Though there isnt the space for he, Gavi and Pedri unless one is moved to DMC.

There is space for him, but like Pedri and Gavi, it went a bit too fast for him. He went from Barca B to starter just after a few games, because of injuries etc.
So now he believes maybe that he is better than he really is, and might seek another club if he doesn't get to play enough from here.

When Barcelona had Xavi and Iniesta, and also Thiago, and also Keita, they still bought Fabregas...

iniestaGOAT

He has the most potential out of all the midfielders so I e of them would have to go we will see who in 5 years time

Andresito

Staff member
There is space for him, but like Pedri and Gavi, it went a bit too fast for him. He went from Barca B to starter just after a few games, because of injuries etc.
So now he believes maybe that he is better than he really is, and might seek another club if he doesn't get to play enough from here.

When Barcelona had Xavi and Iniesta, and also Thiago, and also Keita, they still bought Fabregas...

Nico looked like a bum in the beginning but grew steadily as he got more playing time. Still has a lot of room for improvement but I can't see any other team offering him a starting spot.

He offers something different to the other younglings Pedri and Gavi. And with their ages being so low, inconsistency will always be an issue between the three. Which is why there are plenty of minutes to get at Barca.

Bobo32

Nico looked like a bum in the beginning but grew steadily as he got more playing time. Still has a lot of room for improvement but I can't see any other team offering him a starting spot.

He offers something different to the other younglings Pedri and Gavi. And with their ages being so low, inconsistency will always be an issue between the three. Which is why there are plenty of minutes to get at Barca.

Never thought he looked like a bum. But there is a lot of improvement to be made, and he shouldn't be dissatisfied if he plays less than 2000 minutes a couple of seasons. That season I mentioned, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Thiago all played around 2000 minutes, and they were 31, 27, 24, 20 age old. Keita also played 1300 mins. Nico is on his way to play that amount this year already, and I don't think he is a talent on the level of Iniesta or Thiago.

Overall, I think players benefit a lot from a bit of calmness in this period breaking through at a big club like Barcelona. There should be a bit of hype and anticipation, as when Iniesta, Messi, Thiago arrived.

Home of Barca Fans