Neymar Jr.

Laplacian

Essentially it's an easy prediction, as no matter how wrong the prediction was and for how many years it was consistently wrong for, eventually he'd get it right as players inevitably decline. Ronaldinho started declining at the age of 26. Neymar was still playing at an elite level against the best teams in Europe a few months ago, and he'll be 30 in a few months.

Ronaldinho was (still is) a chronic alcoholic, constantly skipped training sessions, and became overweight in his mid-20s. That isn't Neymar. The only similarities between them is that they're both Brazilian, dark skinned, and flair players; the similarities end there. I don't know why people are constantly obsessed with painting him out as the next Ronaldinho when they're nothing alike in terms of temperament and lifestyle choices.

KingLeo10

Additionally, before Messi and CR7, a player's prime used to be like 5ish years. Especially for attacking players (great defenders could have 8-10ish year primes though)

Just because Messi and CR7 have had a 10-12 year prime doesn't mean every superstar makes it here. Neymar's prime lasted from 2013-2018, which is decent enough.

Laplacian

Agreed. And it only "ended" in 2018 due to injuries, after that he was still good enough to be claimed as one of the best attackers in the world on a consistent basis when he was healthy. Hate his antics, diving, personality and whatever as much as you want, but he was genuinely one of the best players in the champions league in the 2019-2021 period. Despite not being as quick as he was in his mid-20s.

FinBarcelonafan

Agreed. And it only "ended" in 2018 due to injuries, after that he was still good enough to be claimed as one of the best attackers in the world on a consistent basis when he was healthy. Hate his antics, diving, personality and whatever as much as you want, but he was genuinely one of the best players in the champions league in the 2019-2021 period. Despite not being as quick as he was in his mid-20s.

Neymar clowning around French league didn't help him. He tried to embarrass his enemies and they paid back.

Refs and rest of France hate PSG, that's true though, so refs can be harsh.

Lifestyle can affect players injuries too.

Also I'd say, I don't think his game improved since he went to PSG. Mostly decline. He was probably at his best with Barca. A bit too much ego imo.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Additionally, before Messi and CR7, a player's prime used to be like 5ish years. Especially for attacking players (great defenders could have 8-10ish year primes though)

Just because Messi and CR7 have had a 10-12 year prime doesn't mean every superstar makes it here. Neymar's prime lasted from 2013-2018, which is decent enough.

Neymar in season 13/14 was average, his prime was in second half on 14/15 until 2018 - 3.5 years, a bit too short for a player of his class but mainly not his fault i think, the injuries have ruined him.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

The injuries were a shame, people can like him or not, entertainment wise he was one of the best in history.

Laplacian

Neymar clowning around French league didn't help him. He tried to embarrass his enemies and they paid back.

Refs and rest of France hate PSG, that's true though, so refs can be harsh.

Lifestyle can affect players injuries too.

Also I'd say, I don't think his game improved since he went to PSG. Mostly decline. He was probably at his best with Barca. A bit too much ego imo.

This is your "I dislike Neymar" Barcelona fan perspective. You can't seriously make an equivalence between being an alcoholic and playing tricks on the pitch by putting them both under the phrase of "lifestyle choices." That's way too funny, man.

Regardless of what you think of his decline, he was still a quick player within 2018-2021 period playing at an elite level. If you watched those games against Manchester United, Atlanta, Bayern, City etc and came out with a different conclusion then I don't know what to say man. Actually wait I do, you just don't know ball.

FinBarcelonafan

This is your "I dislike Neymar" Barcelona fan perspective. You can't seriously make an equivalence between being an alcoholic and playing tricks on the pitch by putting them both under the phrase of "lifestyle choices." That's way too funny, man.

Regardless of what you think of his decline, he was still a quick player within 2018-2021 period playing at an elite level. If you watched those games against Manchester United, Atlanta, Bayern, City etc and came out with a different conclusion then I don't know what to say man. Actually wait I do, you just don't know ball.

I was talking about his prime. He was still good but nothing like he used to. Those injuries ruined him.

With lifestyle I didn't mean how he played football in France. How he lives. Partying.

Messigician

Neymar played terrorist football in the bayern final

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
"I think it's my last World Cup," the Paris Saint-Germain star said in DAZN's exclusive new documentary, Neymar & The Line Of Kings.

"I see it as my last because I don't know if I have the strength of mind to deal with football any more.

"So I'll do everything to turn up well, do everything to win with my country, to realise my greatest dream since I was little. And I hope I can do it."

This man is mentally done with the game at the age of 29. Stunning decline!

Home of Barca Fans