Most Overrated Player in the Modern Era

Temptation

I can't lie, it's incredibly difficult for me to choose between them. Rather than picking sides, let's just agree that Xavi and Iniesta are one person:
View attachment 9758

Yeah, both of them are overrated, especially Ramos who some delusional fans consider him as the GOAT... Pique I feel is not as much talked about, and to be honest he only had 3-4 world class seasons in him. He's a Barca legend but that doesn't make him a GOAT defender... Even for Barca I would pick Puyol&Koeman as my defenders.

I've seen you defend Harry Kane a lot. He's a world class striker, I'll give you that. But if anything, I feel like Villa is underrated and forgotten by a lot of people when it comes to the last 10-15 years' best strikers.

I defend Kane coz he's the best example of my argument on people rating players solely based on team trophies.

Kane embodies that. Everyone who has watched him agrees he's elite but circumstances have prevented him from winning stuff.

Gerrard was loyal to us in our worst ever period. No doubt he'd have won way more in a better team. And with Gerrard, you can't even present the "doesn't turn up when it matters" argument coz he's one of the most clutch players ever.

With all due respect, you guys are Barca fans who have been the most(or 2nd most) successful club in this century so sometimes you guys are short-sighted in these conversations.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Puyol was a beast physically, despite his relatively short height for a defender. Maybe he's not in the top 10 defenders of all time but certainly one of the most iconic ones. If we look at Ramos, he is far from being a world class defender, but people are putting him in the GOAT conversation now because of his charismatic moments, all the late goals etc.

As for what makes a player overrated or not, there's arguments to bring in every case. I guess it's a combination of talent, numbers, and trophies won...

I feel like Zidane is also remembered as one of the GOATs because of his large impact in crucial games, but he wasn't that amazing throughout his whole career. He had a lot of moments where he was modest, and we can also look at his stats for this. Imo Xavi & Iniesta are closer to him than some would like to think. One huge disadvantage for them is that they have been overshadowed by Messi/CR7's era.
I always found Zidane overrated. Had he not scored 2 headers in a WC final I think he would be seen differently. I found Kaka and even Nedved far more effective players at the time.

Xavi was an absolute master and on a different level to him. If you go back and watch some of the old classic Barca games, Messi is always the match winner with the X factor, but Xavi just ran the game and the game played out the way he instructed it to. It was as if everyone just conceded that he was the boss and it was his game to decide what he wanted to do with it, including the opposition.

iniestaGOAT

Well done mentioning Ramos. He's so fucking overrated it's comical. People mentioning him on the same level as Baresi and Maldini know fuckall about the game. :lol:

Ramos holds the record for most red cards and is very often sloppy defensively.

Both Ramos and Pique are VASTLY OVERRATED due to their trophy haul.

Like I always say, posters rating players solely on the basis of team trophies are numpties. David Villa, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke have won everything but Harry Kane is still clear of them.

Baesi and Maldini better than Pique and Ramos? Lolll

You have officialy lost your mind.

They were nothing but bus parkers and would not be able to handle the weight Ramos and Pique had to as modern day CB.

Temptation

Baesi and Maldini better than Pique and Ramos? Lolll

You have officialy lost your mind.

They were nothing but bus parkers and would not be able to handle the weight Ramos and Pique had to as modern day CB.

Ramos holds the record for most red cards while Pique has been destroyed by attackers for close to a decade.

Pretty sure that's not handling weight..........

Maldini is twice the defender they are combined while also being great on the ball, quick and two footed.

iniestaGOAT

Ramos holds the record for most red cards while Pique has been destroyed by attackers for close to a decade.

Pretty sure that's not handling weight..........

Maldini is twice the defender they are combined while also being great on the ball, quick and two footed.

Maldini is a very good bus parker thats for sure

mc_lovin

Don't care where people rate Pique or Ramos among the greatest as long as they don't put fucking Van Dijk above them.

L3v1s

A lot of hot takes here lately:LOL: But seriously guys, I can't tell if some people are trolling or not.

Horatio

You're welcome
Copy pasted? Who tf is van Rhijn lol.

Would argue Bonucci was more overrated than Barzagli.
When I read that name and Younes it almost convinced me Deco is Dutch. That or German. To remember van Rhijn. Had a disasterclass of defending against Real in CL. Don't think he is overrated though. Nobody even remembers him. Showed some promise at Ajax but career took a nosedive quickly.

Messigician

🚨| BREAKING: João Félix has rejected Aston Villa's offer, his only offer on the table. 🇵🇹❌

[🥇: Isaac Suárez, @marca]

Common Athletico L

Yannik

Özil. Also better known by his nickname "Prime-Özil".

Usually when people call you that it means you weren't actually that great for the majority of your career and theiy're just nostalgically referring to the 3-4 years you were roughly top 3 at your position.

Temptation

Özil.

When a player is usually referred to tags like "prime-özil" it means he wasn't actually that great for the majority of his career and you have to refer to like the 3-4 years where he was the a top 3 player on his position.

Isn't Suarez referred to with tags like that all the time?

Home of Barca Fans