Memphis Depay

Sorin

Rather have him than Griezmann.

Ok, then sell Griezmann? Oh but that's the problem, nobody is gonna buy a player with a 20m net wage, or Griezmann won't ever leave for significantly less. It's not a choice of him or Griezmann, it's Depay+Griezmann on that wage bill.

Even if you think that Depay is better, the difference is negligible at best and it isn't worth spending another 25m plus wages on such a small upgrade. I don't think he's even better than the Frenchman but it isn't my point. It's just wasting valuable resources that we barely have on another player that won't make any difference in us winning trophies or not.

serghei

Imo, he's much more of a winger than Griezmann.

I think Fati / Depay and Trincao / Dembele (if he stays fit) are rather good options for the wings. Depay doesn't cost much, is a good player, and also quite young at 26.

Rotate Griezmann and Messi at 9 and that's it.

This should be done asap.

serghei

One injury prone, one is still too young to be full time starter in crowded schedule (for his own long term durability) , one unproven quality (I hope he proves he is great) and Depay who is inferior player to both Messi and Griezmann and failed here before. He is also only 3 years younger than Griezmann, and while 3 years is significant it isn't worth that much difference in "rebuilding"
You are setting yourself for disappointment with this expectations.

Yea, meanwhile mighty Lyon just beat City in CL this season with a much inferior team and could have done a surprise vs Bayern as well, while we got beaten 8-2. Instead of complaining we can't sign the likes of Mbappe and Haaland, we should go to work and actually assemble a team that can run.

We haven't knocked out teams like Manchester City and Juventus in CL since 2015.

It's hardly possible to set yourself up for a more disappointing season than zero titles and historic CL humiliation. I'm sure everyone would like us to sign the best players out there and jump 2-3 steps in a single transfer window. But it is not possible. You have to improve gradually.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Even though it will be difficult for Depay to play a lot as Messi would most likely play as CAM occupying the central position in the team. Griezmann would act as a striker and would mostly exchange places with Messi during the game as we saw in the match against Villareal. Coutinho would play as LM or LW, not his favorite position but as LM, more closer to the goal. Dembele on the other side woul play as RW or RM assuming he can remain injury free. Barca has also Pedri who can play as CAM as well as LM, Trincao who can play on both wings as well as Ansu Fati.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Boggles the mind to see the repeated failures to buy a backup/primary striker. We have a surplus of expensive forward/attacking players with too few available starting positions.

Meanwhile, the biggest weaknesses in the team are our FBs

But Bartomeu

Messi983

Good if he's really close, that means Suarez and some other players are on their way out.

Boggles the mind to see the repeated failures to buy a backup/primary striker. We have a surplus of expensive forward/attacking players with too few available starting positions.

Meanwhile, the biggest weaknesses in the team are our FBs

But Bartomeu

What Bartomeu? It's Koeman who wants Depay and that's why I'm ok with bringing him. He knows him and has a role for him in his mind.

Andresito

Staff member
Hope he is hungry unlike most of the players nowadays after they sign for this club.

Seems to be a good guy. Captain for Lyon and very involved in the club. Watches the club's youth and women's football.
Humble and hard working. Kind of like Frenkie in terms of mentality.

khaled_a_d

Yea, meanwhile mighty Lyon just beat City in CL this season with a much inferior team and could have done a surprise vs Bayern as well, while we got beaten 8-2. Instead of complaining we can't sign the likes of Mbappe and Haaland, we should go to work and actually assemble a team that can run.

We haven't knocked out teams like Manchester City and Juventus in CL since 2015.

It's hardly possible to set yourself up for a more disappointing season than zero titles and historic CL humiliation. I'm sure everyone would like us to sign the best players out there and jump 2-3 steps in a single transfer window. But it is not possible. You have to improve gradually.

I am failing to see any anything related to my post.
May be because I said "setting yourself for disappointment "?
I mean, yeah it was humiliating season, no one argue against it.
Now, you-actually birdy, not you- are expecting gradual changes because?

1-we are getting poor man Griezmann in Depay? A player who is likely to be treated like Braithwaite once Koeman leaves?

2-We are hoping after 3 years of injury plugged season, Dembele is suddenly going to be healthy?

3-Fati is going to be a full time startrr in super crowded season?

4-We are counting on Trincao to be elite?

5-We are expecting a coach, who flat out said Messi and Griezmann to be starters, and he counts on Coutinho, to only play one of those 3?

I mean, that sounds delusional to me. Koeman is very unlikely to do so, and even if he does the change might not be in the right direction

Messi983

What is gonna happen next year when Koeman is (most likely) gone and the next coach has no intentions of using him on his plans ?. Another guy stuck here with a 4year big ass contract.

Then I guess we should never buy any player again because there is always a possibility current coach will leave in a year and next coach won't like that player and we'll be sticked with him.

I prefer to buy players who our actual coach wants and will use them then spend millions on "future players" like Malcom who were never wanted by a coach so they won't get a chance.

BTW, I know @MikeVerweij who has reported Depay is a done deal is a tier 1 source for Ajax related news but how reliable is he when it comes to other Dutch players?

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Interesting signing. I think Depay definitely has a lot to offer for a team, but i'm not entirely sure how he's gonna slot in with Barcelona. IMO he's much more a Real Madrid player than a Barca player... I think he would have been great competition/backup for Benzema there.

Home of Barca Fans