Memphis Depay

Bobo32

I predict:
1: 3-5 good games at the start where he looks to run, fight and where he maybe succeeds with a few things, scores some goals, plays pretty well....
2. Then he'll start to succeed with fewer things, run less, attempt more stupid things and maybe already start to moan more.
3. After that he'll start to play a bit like Braithwaite, but with less workrate and maybe even worse ability.

I think he'll end up a clear downgrade from Greasy man, who was terrible, and even a downgrade from Braithwaite.
If he instead becomes a "success" that will pretty much mean he didn't go to step 3, but instead stayed at step 2, destroying any chance for the team to be competitive. Some "fans" will then take his side.

malvolio

I can?t see him starting as soon as Fati is back fully fit

There are many things that have to go right for Fati.

1. He heals completely
2. He doesn't re-injure himself
3. Depay has to be bad for Koeman to consider Fati over him
4. Fati has to find form as soon as his 'probation' period ends

Andresito

Staff member
Was he registered, or one does not depend on another?

How I believe it is: all our players are signed. They cannot be registered to the Liga squad yet (with the salary issue). But for the CL list there shouldn't be any issue.

Nucky

According to Sport, Depay insisted that he is to be presented with an entrance track recorded by himself. So, it's still in the works.

All this reminds me of his United era.. When they signed him back in 2015 he was introduced as new Cristiano Ronaldo or even greater.. He was talking about how he wants to be a United legend, he chose number 7 wich carries a heavy burden because it was worn by Beckham,Cantona,Ronaldo.. Later he was a total fail signing and history likes to repeat itself.. I don't think Depay will be any better than in his United days, he is simply the type of player than can only shine in clubs like Lyon,PSV where there isn't much pressure.. Barca or Man United are a different story.. And to be honest La Liga and Premier League is few level above Ligue 1 and Eredivisie..

Devils

E6qDBwxXEAA0rmg

Lion Order.

behindbrowneyes

Not competing with Fati.
Koeman wants to play Depay-Aguero/Fati-Messi upfront

So most likely he will take Kun's place when he returns

Exactly.
Koeman utilised Memphis as a centre-forward during their time together with the Netherlands national team. Pretty sure he plans the same at Barca if nothing goes wrong with Ansu's recovery. If he has another relapse this can change everything though. He'll have to run more off the ball than he did previously, so 65/70 minutes Memphis per game with Aguero being his sub seems a useful possibility.

During Koeman's time as coach of the Elftal, Memphis has played in 18 out of 20 games. The other two he missed due to an injury.
In 16 of these games Memphis played every minute. 16 of the games he started as CF, two as LW. He scored 11 goals and had 12 assists in 18 games under Koeman.

Now I know that national team football is a bit different, but it looks like Koeman knows how to use Memphis and how to get the best out of him.

His haters will say that Memphis failed at Manchester United and how he will never make it a big club. His coaches were Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho there, so I have a hard time taking that against him. He matured a lot since then too.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans