Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

That pass before the late penalty was also good, showing a bit of why I like his style. He passes to the correct foot at the correct time, like they say delivering the ball "with a post stamp" meaning the player receiving doesn't even have to think but can just continue on with the plan. This is an aspect of this player that somehow resembles Xavi (they are not that alike otherwise), Xavis main strength was perhaps just that - that he never got rid of the ball without purpose, he told the receiving player what to do next by the weight and timing of his pass.

But the goal, almost Dinho-esque!

BerkeleyBernie

Here he goes again. TBH, I can't recall a La Masia midfielder who has Puig's shooting boots. He plays like a midfielder but shoots like a striker. As I mentioned before, much more like 2023-2024 Foden with his penetrating runs, passing, and shooting.

Bobo32

4 goals and 2 assists in the last 5 games, almost Messi numbers...

Yeah, I remember commenting on some training footage back when he was still at Barcelona, regarding his shooting. He has a surprisingly good touch, actually a bit Messi-like in that it often surprises you by how fast the ball travels from his small movement.

BerkeleyBernie

4 goals and 2 assists in the last 5 games, almost Messi numbers...

Yeah, I remember commenting on some training footage back when he was still at Barcelona, regarding his shooting. He has a surprisingly good touch, actually a bit Messi-like in that it often surprises you by how fast the ball travels from his small movement.

Same combination of skills— quick and calm mind to recognize the opening, economic in energy, in order to get the shot off quicker, and technically accurate at putting the ball on the desired target.

BerkeleyBernie

Needs to return to Europe and show his true level, whatever it is.

He will. It's actually not a bad thing he can play more aggressively in MLS than he would on a more conservative European team. Think of all the La Masia midfielders who are afraid to shoot. This is giving him the confidence to attack and not just circulate the ball. A technical midfielder who is a better shooter than most strikers is an impressive skillset.

He'll have to play in a tighter system back in Europe but that attacking confidence will be there.

soul24rage

The 4 club legends

F5KK2UcXsAAlbjZ

Home of Barca Fans