Mavericky Puig

BBZ8800

Didn't Samper suffer from double leg breaks lol....

What about all the players Xavi was right about? You can make anyone seem like a fool if you simply focus on the things he got wrong...

Samper was crying when Barca B played playoff games because his *love* and pressure were too big to handle.

Another La Masia player with nice passing, meh physique and zero mental strength under pressure.
It's starting to sound like a pattern now, isn't it?

About which players was Xavi right, write a few of those?

fergus90

To be fair this whole Xavi predicting who's good and who's not needs to be put into context. He's asked about fellow professionals in an interview situation, he's hardly gonna say "that guy is fucking shit".

Bobo32

So, Xavi had faith in Lords Seri and Denis.

Wait, there is more:
"I believe Sergi Samper will succeed at Barca. He is a spectacular talent. Both on and off the ball. [fcb]

"I like Sergi Samper and I like to watch him. The way he sees the game, how he positions his body in the moment he makes a pass"

Samper compared to me? To give him this burden is tricky. I suffer from it too. No need for it. Everyone has their own abilities."

Samper, Riki Puig and Carles Alena are all La Masia gems. They have the level to succeed at Barca under the right circumstances."

Xavi's predictions sound worse than hard core La Masia/Barca DNA purists from our forum.

If Xavi lives in another world, it's the same world I live in. His quotes are predictable and most often correct.
You are making fun of him now by bringing up old translated quotes, or even second hand things from articles, to show in hindsight he was wrong - but they are all fine!
  • Samper probably was a spectacular talent and there's nothing wrong in liking watching him or in believing he would succeed.
  • I haven't watched Seri and can't talk about him.
  • The only thing said about Denis was Xavi was fine in giving him his shirt, and some kind words.
  • The key to everything is "under the right circumstances". Xavi knows better than anyone about circumstance.
Good point by fergus90 as well.

Laplacian

To be fair this whole Xavi predicting who's good and who's not needs to be put into context. He's asked about fellow professionals in an interview situation, he's hardly gonna say "that guy is fucking shit".

exactly this. not like the dude was writing out papers like "based on my Barca DNA theory, these are the next stars." Was probably asked about them, given footage, liked their technique/ability on the ball, and praised them based on limited data. Probably didn't even think thrice about these players lol.

Samper was crying when Barca B played playoff games because his *love* and pressure were too big to handle.

Another La Masia player with nice passing, meh physique and zero mental strength under pressure.
It's starting to sound like a pattern now, isn't it?

About which players was Xavi right, write a few of those?

liked how you dodged the his legs literally breaking question lol
you take this shit way too seriously.

Bobo32

Well, we won the CL with Iniesta starting in midfield (apart from the final where Rijkaard amended the mistake of not starting him when he came on) at the same age of Puig.

Iniesta was further along his development at a younger age partly because Rijkaard also gave him opportunties at AML and AMR to play where there would be less tactical pressure. That is what I am suggesting for Puig.

Maybe we are best on the ball if we play to Puig's strengths in central midfield. But if we're fully invested into him despite physical worries, then at least let's get him more involved in other areas that will help his first team development and also help the team.

Yeah I'm sure he could play AML as well, with the current squad I'd have him and Pedri (or Fati when fit) in these two positions, and they would be pretty interchangeable
In Koemans formations, Griezmann and Pedri are often on each others toes, not separable on a passing chart...
I'd have a more width bringing winger on the other flank, as Roberto/Dest aren't that good going forward, whereas Alba is.

Yeah Iniesta got to come in at half time in the 2006 final, but Rijkaard preferred van Bommel to start as you say, even though Xavi was unfit...
Iniesta was a great talent and played well since 2003, but even though he got more and more playing time, there was always some talk about him not being strong enough defensively or so, if he could play at the same time as Xavi on the midfield and so on.

Your clip didn't show so much of Samper by the way.
He is playing with Iniesta now obviously, would be interesting to hear what Iniesta thinks of him...
I don't remember what my thoughts were on him when Barcelona faced them, but he never impressed me very much the little I saw...

Porque

In 2004/05 Rijkaard played Iniesta at CM and on two wing positions, not because that was a genious move by Rijkaard but because of injuries.

We started that season with a smaller squad and in September lost Edmilson, Motta and Gabri with broken knee ligaments.
Larsson was injured iirc in November, also broken knee.
So, our attack was left with only Ronnie, Etoo, Guily.
And midfield with Gerard, Xavi, Deco and 20 years old Iniesta.
Marquez was moved to a CDM to add some physque and muscles and Iniesta was the only player left who could have played as a winger here and there to give some rest to 3 attackers.

In 2005/06 with a return of Larsson and the addition of young Messi and another sub Ezquerro, we had 6 attackers so Iniesta lost his winger position.

And since Xavi broke knee ligaments in December of 2005, our midfield was stacked with too many workhorses in Motta, Edmilson, Van Bommel plus Marquez if needed. And without Xavi, the only true creator left was Deco.
This is why Iniesta started to play as a CM in that season, especially when Deco was injured, rested or suspended.

My point: playing Iniesta as a winger wasn't a genius decision but the only solution left in a short squad heavily decimated by injuries.

I have looked through the games from the start of that season and I do not agree. It is clear from the start of the season that Rijkaard favoured giving him opportunities wherever he could on the pitch and in the attacking positions.

For example games such as Mallorca away in September near the season start. 3-0 up at half time. Gerard and Navarro come on for Edmilson and Deco (Gio Van Bronkhorst moves to midfield) while Iniesta comes on at RW for Eto'o. Ludovic Giuly stays on the bench.

So even if injuries happened as the season progressed, Rijkaard had already established his precedent and confidence in where to make use of Iniesta

So there was a clear development strategy and more confidence of Rijkaard in letting him gain key minutes over the attack.

2005/2006 is a different story and the year that Iniesta breaks into the midfield, aided in part with Xavi injury.

For those who wish to dive.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/andres-iniesta/leistungsdaten/spieler/7600/saison/2004/wettbewerb/ES1

Bobo32 said:
Your clip didn't show so much of Samper by the way.
He is playing with Iniesta now obviously, would be interesting to hear what Iniesta thinks of him...
I don't remember what my thoughts were on him when Barcelona faced them, but he never impressed me very much the little I saw...

Yeah, it is a shame. His 2011/2012 Nextgen run was insanely good. Although I am sure if we went back and watched with hindsight, I am sure we could pick out what he was going to lack. Much like that Arthur game versus Spurs which he was praised for, it wasn't that spectacular when looked back with the hindsight of what Arthur become.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Didn't remember him playing that much winger that late to be honest.
Pep also had him there sometimes, and both Aragones and Del Bosque too of course.
I think he is more of a winger stylistically tbh, but can play in the center as he is so very good.
Didn't they call them "tres amigos" or something: him, Deco and Xavi? I remember being very much in favour of them playing together, and liking Iniesta at the dm position when he got to play there once or twice...
Rijkaard was pretty heavily criticized by some because he felt he needed the physique on midfield.

JamDav1982

Well... Xavi will get a chance to show us what he sees in these players. He probably has the hardest job of any Barca manager in the last 20 years or so. He'll have to rely on cheap buys and homegrown players for the most part. Even possibly without Messi.

But, anyway, even if he is biased for tiki-taka players (obvious), he still is the best man for the job right now.

Xavi was praising Paulinho as well. Not all about tiki taka players.

Also his family are friends with Puigs which can all play a part.

Xavi comes across like Pep in that over praises players a lot rather than saying anything negative so wouldnt look into it too much.

JamDav1982

Didn't remember him playing that much winger that late to be honest.
Pep also had him there sometimes, and both Aragones and Del Bosque too of course.
I think he is more of a winger stylistically tbh, but can play in the center as he is so very good.
Didn't they call them "tres amigos" or something: him, Deco and Xavi? I remember being very much in favour of them playing together, and liking Iniesta at the dm position when he got to play there once or twice...
Rijkaard was pretty heavily criticized by some because he felt he needed the physique on midfield.

He never played as a winger.

If he was ever wide it was as an attacking mid more to the left. There is a difference between that and a winger.

serghei

Xavi was praising Paulinho as well. Not all about tiki taka players.

Also his family are friends with Puigs which can all play a part.

Xavi comes across like Pep in that over praises players a lot rather than saying anything negative so wouldnt look into it too much.

Mate, if Puig doesn't play more under Xavi (if he's still around), I'll give you credit that Puig is is not as talented as some think he is. I just wanna see Puig and Pedri under a more creative manager, to see how good they can be.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Xavi definitely praises every player he's asked about to the skies. Kinda like Pep who wanted 1000 Dantes or loves Eric Garcia like he's his own son.

JamDav1982

Mate, if Puig doesn't play more under Xavi (if he's still around), I'll give you credit that Puig is is not as talented as some think he is. I just wanna see Puig and Pedri under a more creative manager, to see how good they can be.

Playing more doesnt mean much unless shows he is the player a lot seem to think he is.

How talented are you claiming he is?

The point was not an argument about Puig anyway it was about not putting too much credence on Xavi praising players.

Home of Barca Fans