Mavericky Puig

vegitot

"Headless chicken" is a shitty analogy. Puig runs to fill empty spaces and provide support.

If there's a clueless chicken, it's De Jong. He has no clue what he's going to do with the ball until he receives it and tries to figure out what to do.

De Jong = high workrate + actual intelligence
Puig = headless chicken

vegitot

Not when he needs to bring the ball forward, which is not to blame him just he is a different type of player

Apart Busi no one can create any shit consistently from the mid.

"He?s averaging the second-most ball carries (carrying the ball five metres or more) among midfielders in Europe?s top five leagues (26.6) behind Marco Veratti, and 14.8 of those have been progressive, which also ranks second. Those La Liga numbers are up from 21.4 carries per 90 last season with 11.2 progressive.

In the Copa del Rey final last weekend, Barca?s 93.4% pass completion and 93.8% pass completion in the final third were their highest of the season. It was, to date, the culmination of de Jong and Pedri taking over the Barca midfield. Both had a 100% pass completion ending in the final third."

Source: Opta data.

De Jong is among top best ball progressor in Europe this season. Who is Puig???

Seriously, when does Puig create consistently from midfield??? Last season he created a total of 10 chances in Liga. That is when he had more play time. This season he creates 3 chances.

This guy is pure overhyped.

Porque

Wasn't Foden a bit like an energiser bunny a few seasons back when his play wasn't disciplined?

These are things that can be worked on with first team minutes, either here or on loan.

Needs to find an exit next season otherwise he risks turning into a forever unpolished Segunda player that on his day looks like Zidane, and on others looks like Mourad Meghni.

Last edited:

vegitot

Wasn't Foden a bit like an energiser bunny a few seasons back when his play wasn't disciplined?

These are things that can be worked on with first team minutes, either here or on loan.

Even now Foden is still younger than Puig. Puig is nearly 22 while Foden is 20.

Porque

Even now Foden is still younger than Puig. Puig is nearly 22 while Foden is 20.

Yeah, there not even at the same table anymore. Just a comparison to show how playing (and coaching) can evolve a player who plays naively to become more focused tactically.

9 months age difference btw.

BerkeleyBernie

I just watched the 2nd half. Sheesh- given the chorus of detractors here, I expected to see a poor performance from Puig but saw the opposite. Name a Barca player other than Messi who had more influence on the game than Puig. Won multiple tackles (through great positioning and awareness), initiated attacks, tracked back to support. Best Barca player on the pitch for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half until Messi's contributions.

Hardly "headless." His positioning is obvious and intentional, always to create overloads, provide the extra man. If you want to watch static positional zonal marking, go watch Atletico Madrid.

serghei

I just watched the 2nd half. Sheesh- given the chorus of detractors here, I expected to see a poor performance from Puig but saw the opposite. Name a Barca player other than Messi who had more influence on the game than Puig. Won multiple tackles (through great positioning and awareness), initiated attacks, tracked back to support. Best Barca player on the pitch for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half until Messi's contributions.

Hardly "headless." His positioning is obvious and intentional, always to create overloads, provide the extra man. If you want to watch static positional zonal marking, go watch Atletico Madrid.

Good post. Especially the last phrase. Even Atletico pressed like madmen in the last 2 games knowing they need to win.

vegitot

Busquest: 1 brillant assist > every thing from Puig. Puig os so good that Barca loses with him.

Laplacian

I think it's just a massive counter-jerk at this point. The fanbase here and other platforms (reddit, twitter, insta) have been hyping and wishing for Puig to become a main part of the team for the past 2 years. The hate is just a reaction to that, and to the newly found distaste for La Masia type players of a certain height because it's seen as a refusal to evolve with the rest of the world of football. If he's anything but spectacular, people will shit on him because they need to.

I would just ignore the "hate" and move on. There's no point in wasting any energy on arguing for this player here.

Home of Barca Fans