Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

If he's not being picked by multiple managers then he's not good enough. People use Niasse at Everton as an example of Koeman just not liking a player. Niasse went on to have a wonderful career...not.

The results don't fool me, there's several things Koeman needs to improve. Similarly don't let Puig being 5ft 5 and agile fool you into thinking he's an excellent fit for us. This whole idea he impresses every time on the pitch is wrong too. He came on the other day, misplaced multiple passes and made the wrong decisions leading to a turnover in possession when we're 1-0 up in a crucial game. He's also came on and looked great for us, true. Mostly when the game is won or over.
I wonder what really happened with Setien at the end, and who picked the team after the break...
If the other multiple managers is a u21 manager not picking him when he hardly played games for a year and Valverde, it doesn't say so much...

It really is incredibly strange to take the last game as an example of him not impressing. He didn't put a foot wrong until the goal, and I don't believe he turnovered the ball for a counter even once - I only saw him take one shot, lose one ball which he won back immediately, and one pass where Dembele didn't run so the ball went out for a throw in. In any way, the game was won, it is petty to focus on these little mistakes when his introduction to the game looked to be crucial, in a game where the rest of the team underperformed for the 86 or so minutes before he came on.

I agree I may have been too fast to rate Puig, I might've been fooled by him being great every time I saw him bar one or two games at most. I still didn't see him enough really, and mostly in short spells. He has been great playing from the start too, though, and I still say that him getting so little playing time has no good explanation in what we've been shown in the games.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It wasn't just your posts, but okay!
I am not so fond of loans overall, don't see them working out so often. Best would probably have been if he could've played for Barcelona B this season too, very strange to see Ilaix play 90minutes there, and then get on earlier than Puig yesterday too...
And very strange to see a young and fit player only get what a couple of 100 mins game time in a season. He has played under 200 minutes in the league! Of course it won't work in the long run!

No loan has ever worked out for a 1st team Barca player, a loan equates to an exit. Moreover, it is not the model by which this club was meant to operate by - playing the youth

serghei

He's probably the only one who thinks he should start every game but I'm even talking about the people who think he should be starting 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games, which seems to be a lot. To me even that is a silly suggestion considering the results we've had since Cadiz.

:lol: Let us start with more than 5 mins. Then we will see. I think this is what most want, to see him playing more than garbage minutes. Don't think anyone would moan if he'd be a regular sub in the 60-70th min. mark.

Also, a reminder that in the last match Puig started we stuffed Alaves 5-1 and he had a top performance.

Good posts [MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION].

Rory

It really is incredibly strange to take the last game as an example of him not impressing. He didn't put a foot wrong until the goal, and I don't believe he turnovered the ball for a counter even once - I only saw him take one shot, lose one ball which he won back immediately, and one pass where Dembele didn't run so the ball went out for a throw in. In any way, the game was won, it is petty to focus on these little mistakes when his introduction to the game looked to be crucial, in a game where the rest of the team underperformed for the 86 or so minutes before he came on.

Similarly focusing on a great 5-10 mins in other games doesn't warrant half the praise he gets here either. He made a handful of errors/bad decisions in those few mins, that's simply true. He wasn't crucial in the goal that was the sending off.

Rory

:lol: Let us start with more than 5 mins. Then we will see. I think this is what most want, to see him playing more than garbage minutes. Don't think anyone would moan if he'd be a regular sub in the 60-70th min. mark.

Also, a reminder that in the last match Puig started we stuffed Alaves 5-1 and he had a top performance.

Good posts [MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION].

condescending :lol:

Okay so when exactly do we bring him on? When we're already winning the game? by how many? When? What's the point when we're already winning? Questions you're not asking yourself. If we're 4-0 up with 20 mins to go fair enough. 2-0 up with 20 mins to go, no way should you make that sub.

Rory

I honestly like watching him play it's just ridiculous when we get a good result and everyone rushes to this thread to complain Puig got barely any game time. I find it strange.

Porque

Well we have the luxury of 5 subs this season so why not let him on 20 minutes earlier when we're leaving?

He is showing enough in his sparse opportunities to warrant more minutes.

If Koeman thinks he is a liability defensively then bring him on in an attacking position to control more position. Iniesta was playing in AML and AMR in his early days with Rijkaard. With his acceleration and agility I think he can drift in well from the left side.

vegitot

Well we have the luxury of 5 subs this season so why not let him on 20 minutes earlier when we're leaving?

He is showing enough in his sparse opportunities to warrant more minutes.

If Koeman thinks he is a liability defensively then bring him on in an attacking position to control more position. Iniesta was playing in AML and AMR in his early days with Rijkaard. With his acceleration and agility I think he can drift in well from the left side.

Iniesta could take any defense apart with his godlike dribbling ability. Puig can not even make a mazy run, he relies all on his agility (probably the reason why he doesn't try to improve his physique).
Two players with very different skill set.

serghei

condescending :lol:

Okay so when exactly do we bring him on? When we're already winning the game? by how many? When? What's the point when we're already winning? Questions you're not asking yourself. If we're 4-0 up with 20 mins to go fair enough. 2-0 up with 20 mins to go, no way should you make that sub.

It doesn't matter if we're winning the game or not, Puig has shown he's not a liability. The point is he's a talented player with interesting skills that needs playing time to develop. And he's shown he deserves that time.

Joan

It doesn't matter if we're winning the game or not, Puig has shown he's not a liability. The point is he's a talented player with interesting skills that needs playing time to develop. And he's shown he deserves that time.

In your eyes, he's not. Unlike Koeman's who obviously doesn't trust him and probably sees him as a liablity. Puig is a specific player who comes with a price. He's too eager, risks a lot, weak defensively, and I'd argue has weak end product. But leave that aside. Obvious Koeman doesn't want that in his team and won't reward him more than 5 minutes at the end here and there. The worst thing about it is that Puig knows that well and had it confirmed in the first part of the season. Why he decided to stay after that is beyond me. And beyond his professional aspirations.

JamDav1982

Another window coming up where he needs to go on loan and try to prove to Koeman/Barca what they are missing.

It is a lack of ambition if he doesnt.

Lets not pretend he is great every time he starts either. Was decent v Alaves and poor in two cups starts and against Betis.

serghei

In your eyes, he's not. Unlike Koeman's who obviously doesn't trust him and probably sees him as a liablity. Puig is a specific player who comes with a price. He's too eager, risks a lot, weak defensively, and I'd argue has weak end product. But leave that aside. Obvious Koeman doesn't want that in his team and won't reward him more than 5 minutes at the end here and there. The worst thing about it is that Puig knows that well and had it confirmed in the first part of the season. Why he decided to stay after that is beyond me. And beyond his professional aspirations.

And that's where people are disappointed with Koeman. But as long as he brings the goods, it's not a big deal, some players are always gonna be played less than others. With Valladolid, he almost fucked it up though. The team was pretty bad. Took ages to bring in a quick player in midfield even though we suffered because of slow ball circulation and poor movement all game.

Due to Atletico's poor level, our expectations have risen, and our objective is winning the league now.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

And that's where people are disappointed with Koeman. But as long as he brings the goods, it's not a big deal, some players are always gonna be played less than others. With Valladolid, he almost fucked it up though. The team was pretty bad. Took ages to bring in a quick player in midfield even though we suffered because of slow ball circulation and poor movement all game.

Due to Atletico's poor level, our expectations have risen, and our objective is winning the league now.

Barca were all over Vallodolid the second half and FDJ in midfield with energy lifted it. Change made at HT and changed formation. Didnt wait on game and leave it too late.

Puig did not come in and save the game with any increased tempo.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca were all over Vallodolid the second half and FDJ in midfield with energy lifted it. Change made at HT and changed formation. Didnt wait on game and leave it too late.

Puig did not come in and save the game with any increased tempo.

We did sneak wins more than few times after he came on.

Don't see what's the rush to ship him away on loan from which, we all know, almost noone comes back.
He looks happy and is useful in whatever capacity you look at so what's the problem?

Home of Barca Fans