Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

You said Euro 2008 is all about Senna overperfroming yet Xavi was the best player of tournament. So what is your point??? Obviously you discredit Xavi as if he was a mediocre player that was carried by Senna in 2008.
Xavi just back from injury to play in 2006 world cup.
And please show me how Puig is better than Gundogan, more creative than Xavi. Still waiting.

No I just posted what I said, can't you read?

Here is Puigs game from yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3WuJxvIt8
This is Xavi/Iniesta level. I think he did drop a bit too deep in the first half, and that he attempted a few too many final balls, but a pretty good game.

vegitot

"I've never seen a set of radars like this, and honestly, we might never see them again. All of these seasons are good. 2009-10 and 2011-12 are legendary, and regardless of how many years of data we look at, will almost surely rank as some of the best midfielder seasons ever."
From CEO of Statsbomb.
Xavi_0914.gif

vegitot

No I just posted what I said, can't you read?

Here is Puigs game from yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3WuJxvIt8
This is Xavi/Iniesta level. I think he did drop a bit too deep in the first half, and that he attempted a few too many final balls, but a pretty good game.

Good game indeed but far from Xavi/Iniesta level. Watch their match vs Man Utd in 2009 then compare to this one.

Now show me why Puig is better than Gundogan, more creative than Xavi.

Last edited:

vegitot

This is how Xavi played vs Peak Galaticos Real Madrid, not 16th place team like Alaves.

And Iniesta at 22 vs Arsenal in UCL final, not vs Alaves for sure.
'I saw him up close playing with him, but he also changed the game when he came on and played us in 2006, he destroyed us and won that final for them (Barcelona)." Henry on Iniesta in 2006 final.

Last edited:

Bobo32

I feel a bit rude not answering, but every post I make I get three back, filled with bad analysis based on poor interpretation of what I've written.

Of course playing the way Barcelona did (thanks to letting Xavi do his thing) 2008-2012 will lead to the midfielders having high offensive absolute numbers (and low defensive absolute numbers)
Those stats are really not so telling, as they would have you believe he was a terrible midfielder defensively, in the pressing. Quite the opposite, but as the team kept the ball so much, he didn't get the chance to win it back so many times. The constant, and the most important factor from these graphs, is the high pass%

Did Xavi or Iniesta, over the course of 20 years, ever have a better game than the one Puig had yesterday? Well, yes :wave:

Bobo32

Well I guess I shouldn't be too worried about bringing threads off topic after all...
The poster i_bleed_blaugrana had a pretty nice and balanced post earlier today. I think Busquets is crucial, but otherwise I agree.

To get the thread more on topic again, here is Puigs game from yesterday once more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3WuJxvIt8
Especially the high passes over their left back is crazy similar to those Xavi used to make.
But to be clear, I am not comparing him yet to Xavi or Iniesta, they have similiarites style-wise and all three are of high quality, but Puig has much to prove still.

i_bleed_blaugrana

You're still being naive if you think that midfield can do well against strong teams that would press them.

I honestly think you have it flipped, I actually think they would have a lot of joy against a high-pressing team and would pass and 1-2 around them. It be up against the likes of Atleti, Leipzig or Lazio, physical midfields that sit deep and will not give them a lot of good passing lanes or space where maybe Puig-FdJ-Pedri struggles but that?s based on right now. Especially in the future, it might seem more viable. Also, I think FdJ long-term will be a Pivot, not necessarily an Interior but that is a different conversation.

It wasnt anywhere near the best the mid had played in years and FDJ was off half way through.

Dont think Pedri played all that great yesterday either bar that one pass.

The midfield got so much space they were strolling it really.

Puig played well though.

To be clear, I was saying that this was the best we have looked collectively as a team, not necessarily as a midfield. Messi having a masterclass certainly helped a lot. But I do think a lot of why we looked so great in the end of that match last night was because of the rhythm that the midfield gave us.

Tbf, very small sample size but I think with time, patience and experience that midfield could be the way forward for us.

vuji_31

He gives a f*** if he will be starter or not.

This guy can be a great sub or player for mid-lower teams.

He just knows the football, and can provide tempo.

Home of Barca Fans