Mats Hummels

Povikas

Brandon
I'd like to see some closeups of him while defending. Cause every time, I picture him defending while having the same smirk on his face.
tumblr_lizdwkw7bc1qd24vso1_400.gif

but i hope it's more puyol-esque.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I actually did not find him THAT impressive in that video. And to be honest, watching full matches gives you way better insight in how good/bad a player is compared to those fan videos. Personally, compared to other 'footballing CBs' I find Vertonghen more impressive. But next to Pique, maybe it is better to have a real stopper in the style of Thiago Silva.

abual3bed1

He might still have a slim chance of recovering before the final. I think they might even just give him pain killers and let him play since it's a knock on the ankle.

i_bleed_blaugrana

The problem with the Silva v Hummels debate is while Silva is a better fit, Hummels is a much easier buy.

Silva cost PSG 42 mil last summer, so they will easily want 50+ to make this deal even possible. Hummels on the other hand could reasonably go for half of that at Dortmund, I'd say 32 is fair.

I'd much rather see us get for example Hummels and say Inigo for around 50 than just Silva.

Piqué-Hummels could work bc both like to press high up the pitch, which makes running the trap much easier. The thing that impresses me the most with Hummels is his distribution. His outlet passes from defense to the midfield and long balls up top are fantastic, IMO the best in the world for a CB.

With Silva he is a better tackler, interceptor and tactically aware, much more of a leader that Pique could really benefit from too.

IMO tho, Martinez should be purchased regardless of who we get. Kid has that Puyol-esq tenacity to him, something that neither Hummels, Silva nor Piqué have. He is young and would be very cheap, plus he has La Liga experience.

With Hummels, Inigo and Neymar plus the unleashing of the Deu, could be a very fun season next year.

Stric

The problem with the Silva v Hummels debate is while Silva is a better fit, Hummels is a much easier buy.

Silva cost PSG 42 mil last summer, so they will easily want 50+ to make this deal even possible. Hummels on the other hand could reasonably go for half of that at Dortmund, I'd say 32 is fair.

I'd much rather see us get for example Hummels and say Inigo for around 50 than just Silva.

Piqué-Hummels could work bc both like to press high up the pitch, which makes running the trap much easier. The thing that impresses me the most with Hummels is his distribution. His outlet passes from defense to the midfield and long balls up top are fantastic, IMO the best in the world for a CB.

With Silva he is a better tackler, interceptor and tactically aware, much more of a leader that Pique could really benefit from too.

IMO tho, Martinez should be purchased regardless of who we get. Kid has that Puyol-esq tenacity to him, something that neither Hummels, Silva nor Piqué have. He is young and would be very cheap, plus he has La Liga experience.

With Hummels, Inigo and Neymar plus the unleashing of the Deu, could be a very fun season next year.

True, but honestly, we don't really need any of the things that Hummels has to offer. Pique is a great distributor and his long range passing is fantastic. What we lack is exactly what Thiago Silva brings to the table. If it were only a matter of which player fits better, it would be a no brainer, IMHO. But Silva's price is huge. I wouldn't mind the club paying it, though. They paid huge amounts for Alexis, Cesc, Ibra, etc.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Hummels (Dortmund): "I will certainly be at Dortmund next season. There has been no contact with Barça or any other team." [kicker]

That leaves it down to Silva, Marquinhos, and Inigo Martinez.

Silva transfer will likely not materialize due to wage/contract issues along with the enormous fee

Marquinhos could quite possibly happen, but if Roma have no intention of selling and he doesn't want to leave at the time, there isn't much we can do. I would like to see him here in the future though.

Inigo Martinez would be extremely easy to pull off and an extremely smart transfer.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Has Inigo ever said anything at all about Barca? Does he like the club? I thought he wanted to stay so he could play in Europa League next season.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I really doubt he'd turn it down. I don't believe he's said anything towards or against it and he'd know that he'll be getting a lot of playing time and experience at Barca.

Home of Barca Fans