Mason Greenwood

serghei

Why would they? Stadiums are still packed, shirts and merch are still being sold and people still pay for the TV channels. Really no need to reduce it further because there's no lower class gold mine ready to pounce just because price got a little bit lower. Poor people already watch football.

Only way traditional income channels in football will go down is if a big economic crisis will come in which case luxury spending declines the fastest as people will be more concerned with basic and elementary expenses. But even then football will always draw a lot of money simply because it is great entertainment, and people always need a distraction even in bad times.

But this doesn't affect oil clubs or sugardaddy clubs much, because the rich don't experience recession as others. Most even get richer.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

We live in times of bread (moldy) and circuses, therefore the circus clowns get a lot of take. If gladiators in Rome weren't slaves, they'd be among richest men there.

khaled_a_d

Only way traditional income channels in football will go down is if a big economic crisis will come in which case luxury spending declines the fastest as people will be more concerned with basic and elementary expenses. But even then football will always draw a lot of money simply because it is great entertainment, and people always need a distraction even in bad times.

But this doesn't affect oil clubs or sugardaddy clubs much, because the rich don't experience recession as others. Most even get richer.

Electronic sports (supported by the world largest conglomerates) are taking huge market share of entertainment. Football will actually die gradually as an industry, likely not soon but signs already there.
This was one thing the super league supporters got right.
It will take a lit of tine, but signs already there

serghei

Electronic sports (I assume you mean gaming) are too immature to become truly mainstream imo. They are mostly for kids and teens.

Joan

Esports is when you watch others play video games? Can't fathom what would have to happen to me to pay for the experience. Or sit through it, regardless of the price.

Temptation

Lmao eSports is absolutely dogshit to watch.

You only have fun when you're the one who is gaming.

Gaming as a spectacle is trash. I won't watch others playing video games even if I got paid for it!

khaled_a_d

Esports is when you watch others play video games? Can't fathom what would have to happen to me to pay for the experience. Or sit through it, regardless of the price.

Top gamers makes millions and the gaming industry is just growing massively man.
There is training camps for them, with trainers, physios and the whole package, and this have been the case for years (know that because one of my friends was the marketing managers in middle east for blizzards)
Even sport clubs, including Barca, are recognizing it and making their own teams.

Most of those who watch those games play it religiously, I mean how many video games you play addictlike in comparison to your young nephew/cousin?
Gaming in general is competing with real sports and it is winning too, entertainments in general is competing against each other and the ones growing will sooner be taking the cut from someone else.
There was a video who put it perfectly, our attention is currency and they are basically competing for it. Sports is on decline with younger generation, gaming, streaming is on the rise

Temptation

Ofcourse the gaming industry is prospering immensely and the money in it has grown into stunning figures already but I don't see how it'll go global as a spectacle which people look forward to in a way they look forward to a UCL or a FIFA WC.....

Gaming is already huge amongst the gaming addicts but most of the charm lies in you, yourself playing the game. A big reason streaming is popular now is because noobs wanna learn and improve their game.

Now you write the same post as me?

KL is getting suspicious!

KL always finds a way to get suspicious at posters. He's the OG forum police. Pun not intended! :lol:

iniestaGOAT

Top gamers makes millions and the gaming industry is just growing massively man.
There is training camps for them, with trainers, physios and the whole package, and this have been the case for years (know that because one of my friends was the marketing managers in middle east for blizzards)
Even sport clubs, including Barca, are recognizing it and making their own teams.

Most of those who watch those games play it religiously, I mean how many video games you play addictlike in comparison to your young nephew/cousin?
Gaming in general is competing with real sports and it is winning too, entertainments in general is competing against each other and the ones growing will sooner be taking the cut from someone else.
There was a video who put it perfectly, our attention is currency and they are basically competing for it. Sports is on decline with younger generation, gaming, streaming is on the rise

Even YouTubers make millions man it's not a real competition to football we watch.

Do 100k people even watch that shit?

khaled_a_d

Ofcourse the gaming industry is prospering immensely and the money in it has grown into stunning figures already but I don't see how it'll go global as a spectacle which people look forward to in a way they look forward to a UCL or a FIFA WC.....

It won't, and I never said it will.
But it will sway more and more young kids from football and that will decrease the market share of the game at some point.
Already a problem in many sports who struggles with decreased ratings and the fact that most of this generations prefer watching highlights than the actual games.

Andresito

Staff member
Don't have stats to back it up, but would say football's been the biggest sport in the world for the past 100 years at least. Even if Esport is growing, nothing prevents people from having multiple interests. I highly doubt Esports will grow to the degree that it will make a dent in the football world.

The sheer simplicity of it makes it so popular. Anyone with a round object can play it.

Home of Barca Fans