Manuel Neuer

Yannik

How many times do he actually needs to make great saves? Valdes had to do them a LOT in few previous seasons. And his ball distribution/vision was no worse than that of Neuer's. But he didn't run into center of field and scream ''please, notice me''. That's all the difference. Valdes is pure professional and only does what is best for team. No ego strokes. Neurer is more alike to Higuita, who was actually a good keeper, but made him self remembered for the same reason Herostratus did.

Maybe your problem is that
i don't watch him day and day out

You seem to see it a bit wrong. You think hes famous because he has that gimmick and thats actually all.
Neuer in 2013 won the award of the best goalkeeper in the world. Back then noone knew, he had that gimmick. A few people knew he was good with the feet at the ball and stuff but thats it. He won it deservedly for goalkeeping. In 2011 when Schalke met United in the semi-final of the CL and Neuer was yet not that famous, 1 one 4 football fans already said "judging by his pure quality on the line, this is by far the best shot-stopper from all the goalkeepers today". You can even google articles claiming that, when you put google filters on results at 2011. Back then he had no lobby behind him, but still a big number of people who are no fans of him but tought he would already be the best. If you want to see saves, you can watch some of his Schalke stuff where he was regularly put under pressure.
Just type in YouTube:
Neuer One Man show vs Porto
Neuer One Man show vs Dortmund
Neuer One Man show vs Man. United

That Gimmick became famous in 2014, at the WC, at the Algeria game. Most people already knew it, but after that game the whole damn world knew it, regardless of caring about football. So he was basically the best keeper already PLUS he had a gimmick. But now i read from people who claim that there would be nothing left apart from the gimmick, seriously? I dont think they watched a lot of his amtches then.

On a sidenote, there is nothing useless in what he does. His wide-defending, positioning and the calculated running duells with the strikers prevent at least 30-40 goals a YEAR.
His precise passing and ball control are useful, because goalkeepers do have statistically around 50-80 ball contacts per game (depending on the playstyle of the team)
And the third great thing is: He can throw a ball like 60-70m over the field, fast and precise right into fucking Robben for a counter attack. He does that a lot actually, and has even created goals by that.

Excuse all this blabla here, what I am trying to say is what Neuer does is basically the opposite of useless. He doesnt try to stay the guy with the great saves, he aims to be more. Goalkeepers are seen useless apart from saving whenever they touch the ball. Neuer on the other hand is doing the most efficient thing that is possible at every moment. He is trying to do the best with every ball-contact where other keepers would just pass it back to a CB to avoid having the ball for a longer time. He doesnt waste any possibility of doing the best of what he can do. Thats what I find amazing about him

DrPepper

He might not "invent" new things (how can he as a keeper, seriously?) but I think his impact for future goalkeepers will be huge. Many young keepers will be inspired by him.

I mean, have you ever seen a keeper do these crazy things like he did against Algeria? If it wasn't for him, I think Algeria would have gone through because Germany were really really awful. Comparing him to Valdes is really ridiculous, even though V.V. was also a very good keeper and until his last season for us massively underrated, but still not quite the same level.

Simply because he sweeps so early he allows his team to play with an amazingly high back line without the risk of being massively exposed. Tactically it gives you options. Someone like Buffon or Cech who are also brilliant goalkeepers but are not able to intercept as early as Neuer would have to face the one on ones which are much more difficult to stop.

Of course, what Neuer does is more risky since he will get massive shit if he fails. Buffon and Cech who would face one on ones wouldn't get any criticism if they're not able to make the save and the ball goes in. Because keepers aren't really encouraged to take risks. It was the same with Valdes often being criticised for his risk taking because he failed a few times. Of course I'm not talking about needless risks like nutmegging an opposite striker (see here: http://gfycat.com/SplendidUnselfishGarpike), but risks that in the end prevent a more serious situation.

I actually find it funny that people have only noticed his style of play after the World Cup. He always did it, famous example being Dejan Stankovic's wonder goal against him, even though he made no mistake on that one. People might remember the European Championship match between Germany and Italy in 2012. He intercepted two Italian counter attacks on the half way line and gave possession back to his team when Germany were 0-2 down. With every other keeper it would have been two one-vs-ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-JOubsXc4 (prevents counter vs Chelsea)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqLOTN75x8#t=100 (3 minutes of him sweeping)

Last edited:

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
Maybe your problem is that

You seem to see it a bit wrong. You think hes famous because he has that gimmick and thats actually all.
Neuer in 2013 won the award of the best goalkeeper in the world. Back then noone knew, he had that gimmick. A few people knew he was good with the feet at the ball and stuff but thats it. He won it deservedly for goalkeeping. In 2011 when Schalke met United in the semi-final of the CL and Neuer was yet not that famous, 1 one 4 football fans already said "judging by his pure quality on the line, this is by far the best shot-stopper from all the goalkeepers today". You can even google articles claiming that, when you put google filters on results at 2011. Back then he had no lobby behind him, but still a big number of people who are no fans of him but tought he would already be the best. If you want to see saves, you can watch some of his Schalke stuff where he was regularly put under pressure.
Just type in YouTube:
Neuer One Man show vs Porto
Neuer One Man show vs Dortmund
Neuer One Man show vs Man. United

That Gimmick became famous in 2014, at the WC, at the Algeria game. Most people already knew it, but after that game the whole damn world knew it, regardless of caring about football. So he was basically the best keeper already PLUS he had a gimmick. But now i read from people who claim that there would be nothing left apart from the gimmick, seriously? I dont think they watched a lot of his amtches then.

On a sidenote, there is nothing useless in what he does. His wide-defending, positioning and the calculated running duells with the strikers prevent at least 30-40 goals a YEAR.
His precise passing and ball control are useful, because goalkeepers do have statistically around 50-80 ball contacts per game (depending on the playstyle of the team)
And the third great thing is: He can throw a ball like 60-70m over the field, fast and precise right into fucking Robben for a counter attack. He does that a lot actually, and has even created goals by that.

Excuse all this blabla here, what I am trying to say is what Neuer does is basically the opposite of useless. He doesnt try to stay the guy with the great saves, he aims to be more. Goalkeepers are seen useless apart from saving whenever they touch the ball. Neuer on the other hand is doing the most efficient thing that is possible at every moment. He is trying to do the best with every ball-contact where other keepers would just pass it back to a CB to avoid having the ball for a longer time. He doesnt waste any possibility of doing the best of what he can do. That's what I find amazing about him

You hit the nail on the head. His performance in the 2011 Champions league semi-finals against Manchester United was one of the greatest goalkeeping performances I have ever seen.

Hummelsbauer

His sense of timing when to come out and when not to is close to impeccable. He also doesn't hesitate. He sees the situation and then makes a quick and accurate calculation and then there he goes. That's not something that can necessarily be taught. It's unreal to me that you already expect Neuer to be there before the situation becomes very, very dangerous. He's so good at it you already take it for granted.

Andrew M

He's the greatest keeper in the world easily but I don't see how he will be the greatest of all time. Maybe best German of all time.

Home of Barca Fans