Luka Modric

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
ZFrKU.jpeg

Just another sour reminder of the time he was offering himself to us but we got Cesc instead.

Outlived and (arguably) outperformed Xavi and Iniesta too.

Damn

Morten

He renewed his contract, and Kroos did as well a few days ago.

Ancelotti will play them together in every big game again, as of course is tradition.

Last edited:

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I find it rather insulting that he is compared to the great Xavi or Iniesta. He is a great player obviously, but the way he is seen has been helped immeasurably by the fact that his best periods came when there was hardly any world class competitors playing in his position.

What central midfielders are there these days that are world class?? In the classicos when Xavi and Iniesta were on the pitch we saw what happened. Modric was prime age for a midfielder then as well, so no excuses.

Great player, but feel like there has been a narrative to push him to levels that are somewhat unwarranted. Xavi and Iniesta were far superior

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not for you, no.

Maybe less so in the case of Kroos but Modric will definitely be a plus for you, he has come through for you so many times. That experience you can't buy it anywhere. He and Kroos can continue mentoring the likes of Tchouameni, Camavinga and Bellingham. Of course, the downside is they will eat up the youngsters' playing time.

Horatio

You're welcome
I find it rather insulting that he is compared to the great Xavi or Iniesta. He is a great player obviously, but the way he is seen has been helped immeasurably by the fact that his best periods came when there was hardly any world class competitors playing in his position.

What central midfielders are there these days that are world class?? In the classicos when Xavi and Iniesta were on the pitch we saw what happened. Modric was prime age for a midfielder then as well, so no excuses.

Great player, but feel like there has been a narrative to push him to levels that are somewhat unwarranted. Xavi and Iniesta were far superior
Be thankful for that narrative. It deprived Ronaldo of another Ballon d’Or

El Gato

Villarato!
Modrić continuing is certainly more bad than good at this point
But dont think he cares
He's in the Buffon territory of stubborn old man, except has more clout to fall back on

The only tangible good is that Bellingham will get a year with both Kroos and Modrić in the locker room

All other impacts fall squarely under the bracket of slowing team growth

PS I suppose another good thing is that he's the first high profile player to have refused Saudi salary, probably only on ideological grounds. Players need to see moving there isn't exactly worth it

Morten

Maybe less so in the case of Kroos but Modric will definitely be a plus for you, he has come through for you so many times. That experience you can't buy it anywhere. He and Kroos can continue mentoring the likes of Tchouameni, Camavinga and Bellingham. Of course, the downside is they will eat up the youngsters' playing time.

No, its the opposite, Kroos had a better season than Modric and is younger, has more left in the tank.

If it was just rotation, bench-role then okay, but thats not how Ancelotti operates.

So i wouldnt call it "mentoring", more like "stealing minutes" from the younger midfielders.

Temptation

for me ZZ is most overrated player,as a kid I had him in top 5 now I know he isnt even better than Platini or Van Basten. Matthaus is best DM ever imo,even though Redondo for me has a higher peak.

Players who are main men and have that X Factor as the best player in their teams will always be rated higher than second fiddles in these conversations and rightly so.

You'd much rather build a team around ZZ than Modric or Iniesta. Simple.

Home of Barca Fans