Luis Suárez

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I would perhaps buy it if he had scored 13 goals in 30 games, but not 5.

Not to forget he's had multiple chances he's scuffed and wasted away. His goalscoring record while still good, is declining in the league too, and as others have mentioned he missed the most chances out of any striker in the top 5 leagues last season, and he lead that infamous list by far.

And you can only get those chances if you make the effort to get into those goalscoring positions through your movement.

Last edited:

serghei

I would perhaps buy it if he had scored 13 goals in 30 games, but not 5.

Not to forget he's had multiple chances he's scuffed and wasted away. His goalscoring record while still good, is declining in the league too, and as others have mentioned he missed the most chances out of any striker in the top 5 leagues last season, and he lead that infamous list by far.

And you can only get those chances if you make the effort to get into those goalscoring positions through your movement.

I don't think he had that many clear chances that he's scuffed and wasted. Usually, it's us struggling to create decent chances away in CL. How many great chances he's missed vs Atletico, vs Juventus, vs Lyon, vs Roma etc?

Can't remember any that stands out as a clear cut 1 vs 1 chance that he completely wasted.

I do agree though that a world class player has to do more individually even when the service is not great. And he's failed to do that. Also, his speed, his first touch, his overall technique, all are lacking. But the man can still score goals if served up with good chances.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

Bad timing.

Small sample.

Don't bullshit with me. I don't like bullshitters.

He has 5 goals in his last 30 CL games. He hasn't scored an away goal in the CL since 2015.

I am going to fight everyone who tries to say it's not a big deal for a striker to have such an embarrassing record.

You did precisely what I did, over interpret from small samples and engage in cherry picking. Why would you look at the last 30 matches vs last 60. Why do you only focus on goals and not more complete performance metrics. Why would you exclude league matches and copa matches against some of the best teams in the world in evaluating his overall level and play.

This biggest BS fraud of an argument is somehow Luis Saurez kicks ass against 2 of the greastist clubs over the past few years (Madrid teams) and some other fine teams (Sevilla, Valencia) and is top 8 or in European goal tallies across all competitions, and further kicks ass in the most highest pressure situations in footy (national teams cups), yet somehow champions league football is somehow a different animal. What IS different in CL football is half the matches are a walk in the part for Barca (group stages against mainly far inferior teams) and the ones that do matter do tend to be march/april/may where some players get extra gassed as part of competing for all major trophies and where we have no adequate replacements/rotations. It is this "CL tunnel vision" that smells like a rat in evaluating players--it isn't like your are required to score with only your off foot and they shrink the goal posts on the CL anthem is played in the stadiums. It is the same sport, same clubs--timing of the year and how it fits with fatigue and fitness does very much matter--and doing things like strategically throwing away domestic cup matches so that end stretch is less stressful (ahem Real and Liverpool)--not something I am in favor of but I get it, it also plays a role. (Of course this year Real played their Copa matches with us as hard as they could because that was their sole lifeline to anything--they gave more to those matches than say their ones with ajax--champions league isn't everything it is just one trophy pursuit that is often dependent on a few key goals or mistakes against a handful a teams that on their day can all win it)

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Madrid was total trash the previous 2 seasons in the league and was trash in every aspect last season. so yeah keep harping on about him scoring against 1 shitty real Madrid team, Likewise for Athletico. You can keep trying to pushing your narrative that hes been amazing, he genuinely hasn't; his over all play has been abysmal to say the least.

As people have mentioned a million times already if it wasn't for Messi (and being his best bud) his stats would look infinitely worse. You can continue being happy we have a past it striker that should be a back up option for a club like us at best.

17-19.jpg

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

Madrid was total trash the previous 2 seasons in the league and was trash in every aspect last season. so yeah keep harping on about him scoring against 1 shitty real Madrid team, Likewise for Athletico. You can keep trying to pushing your narrative that hes been amazing, he genuinely hasn't; his over all play has been abysmal to say the least.

As people have mentioned a million times already if it wasn't for Messi (and being his best bud) his stats would look infinitely worse. You can continue being happy we have a past it striker that should be a back up option for a club like us at best.

View attachment 8519

I am sure happy Suarez is on the team, yes. Because he have had so much more vicious fangs when Luis sits and Paco or Munir or Prince comes in. We have looked way better with those guys, sharp, killer, on top.

Like I said I would be plenty happy to sit Luis on the bench to make room for Salah, Mbappe, Mane, or Kane. Just go make that happen.

I also actually think we did about as good as we could of in bring some help in AG.

There are wishes and there is reality to work with.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I am sure happy Suarez is on the team, yes. Because he have had so much more vicious fangs when Luis sits and Paco or Munir or Prince comes in. We have looked way better with those guys, sharp, killer, on top.

Like I said I would be plenty happy to sit Luis on the bench to make room for Salah, Mbappe, Mane, or Kane. Just go make that happen.

I also actually think we did about as good as we could of in bring some help in AG.

There are wishes and there is reality to work with.

Nice strawman, your go to argument is to compare him to pub level players? fucks sake dude. No ones saying we should replace him with absolute trash... He was crap there are no two ways about it, just not as crap as the KBP.

I like that list of players but none of them are realistic targets(maybe Kane?)... and Personally although i like Mane a lot i don't think he would work here. there are also players not quite at the level of those players that can improve our overall play and intensity compared to current Suarez... Pepe/Jesus/immobile even Felix who was over priced...
I'm well aware some of those are no longer available.

ronniecro

Suarez had the most chances missed in the top 5 leagues by a large margin last season. His finishing is simpy shit. Rare flashes of brilliance do not justify his terrible touches and passes either.

yeah but he found himself in right places for those chacnes,and that's important :valverde2:

DonAK

long post full of bs without proper spacing, probably got triggered when I called him out

Because those last 30 games represent our last three seasons.

If you want to talk about Suarez' overall career then sure, be my guest. I won't argue against his record or how great he's been.

But his goalscoring record in the Champions League is a disgrace.

Yes.

A disgrace.

You can try to bullshit your way through a wall of text and list all his achievments or his Copa or La Liga goalscoring record for all you want, like a rat in evaulating players and missing the point I'm trying to make.

Now perhaps you should stop your strawman or bullshit and try to see the point? Which is how bad Suarez has been in the CL compared to literally every other top striker. How he's missed the most clear cut chances out of any striker in the big 5 leagues last season(talk about metrics and stats btw), how his goalscoring form and record in general is declining and how his overall play in general is average.

He's not invincible and should not be a guaranteed starter. The fact that you, pretty much like Suarez, try to excuse his shambolic performances through excuses all the time is just embarrassing.

Unlike some of you guys I'm not afraid to admit I have been wrong or concede the fact that a certain player is declining or playing badly.

If you want to look at metrics and his overall play then I'm willing to do that too. You go first. Just don't cherry pick certain Whoscored or Squawka stats like you've done in the past and throw a tantrum when called out for it.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

Last few years he probably isn't even in the top 100 scorers in the CL , lmao.

Absolutelly disgusting.

Verry good la liga player though on his good days.

DonAK

Last few years he probably isn't even in the top 100 scorers in the CL , lmao.

Absolutelly disgusting.

Verry good la liga player though on his good days.

Imagine if this had been another player. Everyone on this forum would be killing that player.

It's this tunnel vision which is killing our team. It's like last season when people kept arguing about Rakitic and Busquets and how they're both still great and should always play, or how some guys started a Rakitic v Busquets war, without realizing both players are a problem vs. teams who play with a high intensity and press like crazy in the CL KOs.

It's not like in La Liga or Copa del Rey. The pace, intensity, pressure is tenfold. Not even Clasicos can compare to it anymore.

Rakitic, Busquets and Suarez have struggled immensely.

They either don't have the legs for it anymore, are shot mentally or both.

Arizona Scott

Nice strawman, your go to argument is to compare him to pub level players? fucks sake dude. No ones saying we should replace him with absolute trash... He was crap there are no two ways about it, just not as crap as the KBP.

I like that list of players but none of them are realistic targets(maybe Kane?)... and Personally although i like Mane a lot i don't think he would work here. there are also players not quite at the level of those players that can improve our overall play and intensity compared to current Suarez... Pepe/Jesus/immobile even Felix who was over priced...
I'm well aware some of those are no longer available.

Strawman, pub players? Uh, those were the ACTUAL Barcelona SQUAD players who we had. What is your idea, playing Rakitic at 9, maybe trying our Jasper or now Neto. At least they are tall.

Pepe isn't a #9 and still went for 80 mil. Felix is less of a #9 than Pepe or AG and he went for 126. We could have got Lukaku--but no thanks I'll stick with Suarez. Could maybe have tried Werner or the other one off Frankfurt--doubtful either is Barca quality and may just get back to a Paco situation.

Who I thought were the best options of reasonable tranfers to help at the #9 position were Jovic and Griezmann. I did see Pepe as a wild card. Time will tell if AG was the right choice, though who knows if we could have gotten Jovic anyway--he did go to another club with some clout and international reputation.

Arizona Scott

Because those last 30 games represent our last three seasons.

If you want to talk about Suarez' overall career then sure, be my guest. I won't argue against his record or how great he's been.

But his goalscoring record in the Champions League is a disgrace.

Yes.

A disgrace.

You can try to bullshit your way through a wall of text and list all his achievments or his Copa or La Liga goalscoring record for all you want, like a rat in evaulating players and missing the point I'm trying to make.

Now perhaps you should stop your strawman or bullshit and try to see the point? Which is how bad Suarez has been in the CL compared to literally every other top striker. How he's missed the most clear cut chances out of any striker in the big 5 leagues last season(talk about metrics and stats btw), how his goalscoring form and record in general is declining and how his overall play in general is average.

He's not invincible and should not be a guaranteed starter. The fact that you, pretty much like Suarez, try to excuse his shambolic performances through excuses all the time is just embarrassing.

Unlike some of you guys I'm not afraid to admit I have been wrong or concede the fact that a certain player is declining or playing badly.

If you want to look at metrics and his overall play then I'm willing to do that too. You go first. Just don't cherry pick certain Whoscored or Squawka stats like you've done in the past and throw a tantrum when called out for it.

Pot kettle black? Triggered?

Pointed out the stupidity of taking one cup competition out a season, one that often has often included even more tense/prestigious national team cups. Limited sample--one single cup competition, with typically only a handful of matches in that competition that are meaningful for Barca. Then, what do you know it, in the most important and most recent tie he scored a goal vs Liverpool (best defense the world BTW) and had a big role in 3 total goals in our quarters and semis. So the last two ties don't even fit this last 3 years narrative. So was his performance against Liverpool and United a disgrace. How about the Classicos, you know those mildly important matches.

The whole thing is silly, as if footy on Weds and Tuesday nights is played any different than any other night, smaller ball, bigger goals, have to play with 10 lbs weights in your socks, whatever man.

DonAK

Yes, it triggers me to see people make up excuses for Suarez and believe he's still the same as he was in 2015.

This is not fully updated, but I posted this a few months ago, or maybe last year.

Since 2016/17 - Games and Goals in ( )

Luis Suarez - 24(4)

Robert Lewandowski - 27(21)

Karim Benzema - 29(14)

Harry Kane - 16(13)

Sergio Aguero - 18(12)

Edinson Cavani - 22(17)

Roberto Firmino - 20(12)

BONUS:

Antoine Griezmann - 25(12)

Not to forget this...

Dzy-cYuX0AAXCG1.png:large