Luis Enrique

abual3bed1

I agree, but i guess it is unrealistic, unfortunately...

Lucho has been trying Mascherano at DM. He played a DM 3 times this season so far (2 as a tactical changes during the game, and once a starter), so Lucho has the idea and has been trying it. Hopefully he makes up his mind before it's too late.

Ursegor

World Champion
But if we play a 4-2-3-1 who do you think that should be the 2 CMs?

Good question. Mascherano should be the ball winner. In a more conventional 4-2-3-1 that doesn't emphasise short passing and midfield dominance he's a better choice than Busquets I'm afraid. His partner is not easy to pick. It would have to be someone in the mould of Gündogan. Someone who has the physical attributes to defend but also the mobility and technique to join the attack and contribute creatively. Rakitic probably comes closest right now with the player material at Barca's disposal.

But again, this isn't just about throwing in lineups. The coach has to actually ... coach and give clear instructions. In which areas does it make sense to press, when does it make sense to retreat, the distance between parts of the team, choreographed attacking movements, triangular shapes ... Scrubrique's team doesn't even get basic things right like building from the back because only Busquets drops back in buildup but Rafinha and Rakitic don't come towards the ball but wait 30 yards further forward. That's not a well coached team under clear instructions.

Chainsaw

Killahead
4-2-3-1 with having both Iniesta and Neymar who are best playing at the left side is not a very good idea to go with, unless you drop one or sacrifice one playing at the right side which will diminish their impact significantly.

BBZ8800

4-2-3-1 with having both Iniesta and Neymar who are best playing at the left side is not a very good idea to go with, unless you drop one or sacrifice one playing at the right side which will diminish their impact significantly.

We can sacrifice one player and maybe start to play better and win matches.
Or, we can continue with 433 with all stars on the field (and keeping all of our star players "happy"), and we will finish 4th in the league and with misery displays over and over.

So, "a sad" player on the bench versus a benefit of the whole team.

The answer is very simple.

F

Flavia

It's not his fault he has to deal with a second rate midfield, a disastrous defence and a Messi who can't finish.

Barca are still favorites for La Liga.

he chose the players, sp it's his fault. And if anything, lucho is the second rate coach.

Suarez is the hardest working player in the world. When he looks like he does "absolutely nothing when defending" it's because even Usain Bolt can't play centrally in the box with the ball and get goalside of the opponent's leftback in defensive transition without it. Scrubrique's idea to make up for this is that the central midfielders cover the wide areas but again the same problem. Midfielders can't defend wide areas in defensive transition and get back to contributing with intricate passes through the center with the ball. What you get is a shapeless team because CMs are tasked with the workload of 2 players, Alves has to provide wingplay when Suarez is in the center which further amplyfies the workload of the CMs and Neymar and Suarez have no clue which players to close down because they are positioned between CB and FB. Once the fullbacks advance and the CBs release the ball what are Suarez and Neymar supposed to do without the ball? 2 players hanging around in no man's land + Messi being naturally lazy = defending with 7 outfield players and the majority of these 7 aren't even good defenders. Which will never work against any top team. Or any half organized midtable team, baring some individual brilliance. Neymar's speculative long range shot and Messi freekick hitting the post doesn't consitute "playing well and being unlucky". It would have been lucky if they actually scored from those positions.

Scrubrique actually got it right yesterday when he made the subs. 4-2-3-1 is the way to go given the dynamics of the squad right now. Messi behind Suarez, Pedro on the right, Neymar on the left. Neymar and Pedro need to play deeper like wingers and not wide strikers, this way Neymar is also not misused as a poacher for Messi throughballs (such a 1-dimensional tactic) without adding anything else. Clear task for everyone. Suarez presses the centerbacks, Pedro and Neymar track fullbacks and form a bank of 4 with the CMs without the ball, Messi presses the DM, Alves doesn't need to play as a winger and pump in crosses to make up for a lack of real wingers. The team gets a proper SHAPE. Don't expect Scrubrique to make changes though. He'll continue the same tactics and hope that the players magically figure it out with more time.

Scrubrique :lol:
Good post. 4231 or 3232 to me.

Ursegor

World Champion

My lineup would be:

Suarez
Neymar Messi Pedro
Masche Rakitic
Alba Mathieu Bartra Alves
MAtS

Neymar and Pedro tuck in and make it a bank of 4 alongside the midfielders without the ball.

Suarez Messi
Neymar Masche Rakitic Pedro
MAtS

Basically every team in the world plays with that or a similar shape, including Real Madrid. No one can convince me that Ronaldo and Benzema is a better attack than Suarez and Messi, that Isco is better on the left than Neymar or that Kroos and Modric offer more stability in the middle than Masche and Rakitic but here we are. Madrid are scoring for fun and playing the best football of their lives and Barca is looking clueless in every department.

Chainsaw

Killahead
We can sacrifice one player and maybe start to play better and win matches.
Or, we can continue with 433 with all stars on the field (and keeping all of our star players "happy"), and we will finish 4th in the league and with misery displays over and over.

So, "a sad" player on the bench versus a benefit of the whole team.

The answer is very simple.

It's never that simple to drop or sacrifice one superstar for tactical reasons. I don't think Lucho has it in him to do that.

Alik

Iniesta right now is injured, and before that he's been off form. Him benching is no longer as big an issue as it was before.

My lineup would be:

Suarez
Neymar Messi Pedro
Masche Rakitic
MAtS

Neymar and Pedro tuck in and make it a bank of 4 alongside the midfielders without the ball.

Suarez Messi
MAtS

Basically every team in the world plays with that or a similar shape, including Real Madrid. No one can convince me that Ronaldo and Benzema is a better attack than Suarez and Messi, that Isco is better on the left than Neymar or that Kroos and Modric offer more stability in the middle than Masche and Rakitic but here we are. Madrid are scoring for fun and playing the best football of their lives and Barca is looking clueless in every department.

I think this would be awesome.

Kasperroed

My lineup would be:

Suarez
Neymar Messi Pedro
Masche Rakitic
MAtS

Suarez Messi
MAtS

Generally i agree with you, but i think it would just be wrong to put Neymar on the left side considering how good he has been in the centre recently. We could try it out - it could work really well!

Ursegor

World Champion
Generally i agree with you, but i think it would just be wrong to put Neymar on the left side considering how good he has been in the centre recently. We could try it out - it could work really well!

I think Neymar has been piss poor with his general play aside from his improved finishing. He was much better in the first half of last season, dribbling, creating, assisting, generally playing well. The role that he's playing right now is actually a lot more suited to a real #9 like Suarez. Now that Suarez is back Neymar should play deeper and do more in the buildup instead of poaching goals. He's more than a simple goal poacher.

Home of Barca Fans