Luis Enrique

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Luis Enrique: "There's an interesting week coming up. Hunting season is open..." #fcblive

I hate his arrogant attitude. First the "I'm allergic to criticism" statement and now this. Yes Enrique, hunting season is open, but the difference this season is that we're the hunted.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
From the quotes I've read of his press conference he is feeling the heat of the team's current situation. I expect that changes will be made in order to improve our status. That's one thing with Lucho, he hasn't been a 'yes man' or complacent as a coach. Bringing up Munir/Sandro, rotating heavily, starting Suarez in the Clasico, etc. were all bold decisions that he was willing to take the risk with. Just because Montoya/Bartra haven't played much doesn't mean that he makes decisions just to be a people-pleaser.

The problem is, sadly, a lack of vision. He wants to control matches but he doesn't want to emphasize our midfield in any way. He wants pressing but in the form of individuals upping their workrates, not harassing as a unit and clogging the opponents' space between the lines. He wants us to be 'unpredictable' but we're either pointlessly slow on the ball or recklessly direct and disconnected.

It's popular to hate on the notion of 'Barca philosophy' because it seems like the weight that's pulling the team back from progress but I really disagree. It's not just pretty football that coincided with our best ever era, it's deliberate pragmatism that gets the best out of our players. We mask our defensive frailties by dominating the ball and forcing our opponents to a retreated position where they can't counter effectively. We control all areas of the pitch by building our game around the midfield and transitioning the ball quickly and effectively as we choose. The core of our team in Iniesta/Busi/Messi/Neymar/Suarez all perform better when connected with teammates with a fluid team shape that isn't spread out so horizontally or vertically. The more we constantly attack the goal from the beginning, the more the momentum goes on our side and the more likely we are to win. Why did we have to give up this insanely effective AND aesthetic strategy for the past 3 years?

Fibonacci

I agree Barca is not playing at the best level now, but Lucho has only been around a couple of months. Remember how bad it was with Rijkaard for a while before everything changed?

What's funny is how people have been clamoring for changes in the way Barca play and condemned Xavi for his alleged talk with Tata and the return to Pep style. Well, Lucho is clearly trying to change the style. All is not working perfectly, but big changes take time.

mazp

I agree Barca is not playing at the best level now, but Lucho has only been around a couple of months. Remember how bad it was with Rijkaard for a while before everything changed?

What's funny is how people have been clamoring for changes in the way Barca play and condemned Xavi for his alleged talk with Tata and the return to Pep style. Well, Lucho is clearly trying to change the style. All is not working perfectly, but big changes take time.

Barca getting E.Davids on loan is what turned Rijkaard's season around. Barca can't even buy anyone in Winter market..

From the quotes I've read of his press conference he is feeling the heat of the team's current situation. I expect that changes will be made in order to improve our status. That's one thing with Lucho, he hasn't been a 'yes man' or complacent as a coach. Bringing up Munir/Sandro, rotating heavily, starting Suarez in the Clasico, etc. were all bold decisions that he was willing to take the risk with. Just because Montoya/Bartra haven't played much doesn't mean that he makes decisions just to be a people-pleaser.

The problem is, sadly, a lack of vision. He wants to control matches but he doesn't want to emphasize our midfield in any way. He wants pressing but in the form of individuals upping their workrates, not harassing as a unit and clogging the opponents' space between the lines. He wants us to be 'unpredictable' but we're either pointlessly slow on the ball or recklessly direct and disconnected.

It's popular to hate on the notion of 'Barca philosophy' because it seems like the weight that's pulling the team back from progress but I really disagree. It's not just pretty football that coincided with our best ever era, it's deliberate pragmatism that gets the best out of our players. We mask our defensive frailties by dominating the ball and forcing our opponents to a retreated position where they can't counter effectively. We control all areas of the pitch by building our game around the midfield and transitioning the ball quickly and effectively as we choose. The core of our team in Iniesta/Busi/Messi/Neymar/Suarez all perform better when connected with teammates with a fluid team shape that isn't spread out so horizontally or vertically. The more we constantly attack the goal from the beginning, the more the momentum goes on our side and the more likely we are to win. Why did we have to give up this insanely effective AND aesthetic strategy for the past 3 years?

Wow, awesome post and i fully agree

Kohe321

@DonAndres Great post!

With the players available, we should absolutely expect to play way better, faster and more precise than we are. We just look lost, no one seems to understand or gel with Luchos system, it's just mindless and chaotic passing of the ball until it finds it's way to one of our individual superstars who can try and create something alone, and usually this is Messi. Barca, like all other top clubs, should be like an organic unit where 11 players move and think as one, and individual brilliance comes as a bonus on top of that.

This tactic of utilizing our LB and RB as wingers and having our left and right midfielder cover for them, leaving the center midfielder horribly isolated is just pure garbage. It doesn't work, and ironically way to often leads to crossing, even if the goal is to allow link-up play between our three very centrally placed forwards. Scratch this nonsense, it doesn't work. No control in midfield = no service for our forwards. The ball is just going from our defence to our forwards again and again, we have no settled midfield control. Every time the ball was in midfield, it was passed around with a sense of panic because we were always just holding on to it by a thread. Where did the passing triangles go? The system that DonAndres described so perfectly in his post just over mine here...

The arrow is pointing downwards, and Lucho needs to change things up quickly. If we play this same tired crappy way against Ajax it will be really, really sad, as it would show that he doesn't see the problem or is just too stubborn to change. I mean, already that seems to be the case.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

The core of our team in Iniesta/Busi/Messi/Neymar/Suarez all perform better when connected with teammates with a fluid team shape that isn't spread out so horizontally or vertically. The more we constantly attack the goal from the beginning, the more the momentum goes on our side and the more likely we are to win. Why did we have to give up this insanely effective AND aesthetic strategy for the past 3 years?

Good question. His choice of playing the midfielders so wide is bad. He has to rethink that. Maybe going 3-4-3, ad he did when he subbed pedro in, is a way. The forwards dont need to be narrow all the time. They are mobile, and lucho has to take advantage of it.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Lucho seems like he hasn't got a clue. When we lose games, he keeps saying that he will analyze the mistakes we made, but he still makes the same tactical errors. We won't win a single big match this season, if he continues to be stubborn and arrogant. I might be overreacting, but I can't see us win against Valencia or Sevilla. Even Ajax away will give us problems.

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's not his fault he has to deal with a second rate midfield, a disastrous defence and a Messi who can't finish.

Barca are still favorites for La Liga.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
@DonAndres Great post!

With the players available, we should absolutely expect to play way better, faster and more precise than we are. We just look lost, no one seems to understand or gel with Luchos system, it's just mindless and chaotic passing of the ball until it finds it's way to one of our individual superstars who can try and create something alone, and usually this is Messi. Barca, like all other top clubs, should be like an organic unit where 11 players move and think as one, and individual brilliance comes as a bonus on top of that.

This tactic of utilizing our LB and RB as wingers and having our left and right midfielder cover for them, leaving the center midfielder horribly isolated is just pure garbage. It doesn't work, and ironically way to often leads to crossing, even if the goal is to allow link-up play between our three very centrally placed forwards. Scratch this nonsense, it doesn't work. No control in midfield = no service for our forwards. The ball is just going from our defence to our forwards again and again, we have no settled midfield control. Every time the ball was in midfield, it was passed around with a sense of panic because we were always just holding on to it by a thread. Where did the passing triangles go? The system that DonAndres described so perfectly in his post just over mine here...

The arrow is pointing downwards, and Lucho needs to change things up quickly. If we play this same tired crappy way against Ajax it will be really, really sad, as it would show that he doesn't see the problem or is just too stubborn to change. I mean, already that seems to be the case.

Bingo and beyond!

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
I'm all for giving him time to try to do something however he does appear to be out of his depth here, and like some said, he is looking like Moyes did last year. No clear direction to the team whatsoever. Last week we were trying to control the game and this week we were playing direct. Balague summed it up well I thought by saying that both weeks the team looks half-baked. At least Tata actually understood what he was trying to achieve and only fell short when dealing with the dressing room.

Hopefully he can turn it around though if we give him some time.

Lomar1o

it will be the same over and over if we continue bringing second rate coaches like lucho. be it mancini, bielsa, rudi garcia or whoever, they are all second rate coaches. there are also first rate coaches who won't be able to manage our team for example simeone, ancelotti, mourinho. the only coaches i can think of for barca right now are klopp, pep and jupp heynckes if the latter miraculously comes out of retirement. if we bring people like hiddink, capello, conte we're doomed. so i pray that klopp takes over.

Kasperroed

I think we saw yesterday, how much Pedro really can offer for MSN. He is so much more dangerous than Alves (he is a striker/winger, i know).

Xavi did quite well on the offensive midfield.

Rackitic worked his ass off, but he was really not creative enough in that match. Lacked confidence?

Alves did close-to-nothing right.

Suarez is NO winger, and he HAS to play in the centre.

Now guys, take a look at Bayern Münich. 3-4-3 formation. 3 solid defenders, 2 wingers, 2 central midfielders (one more offensive minded and one more defensive minded) and 3 up top. The 3-4-3 formation can easyli be tweaked into a 3-4-1-2 formation. I think we should try it out.

------------ Bravo
- Bartra | Mascherano | Mathieu
Pedro | Rackitic | Busquets | Alba
------------ Messi
------ Suarez | Neymar

Pedro and Alba going wide and creating space. Rackitic going up next to Messi when attacking creating more danger in that area (two players who can really shoot and pass a ball). Busquets right behind them.

Also in counter-attacks this team would work really well due to the speed of Alba, Pedro, and MSN.

Maria

Really!? Injuries and losing key players almost every summer. You think Lucho is a better manager than Klopp?

They didn't had as many injuries as to justify them being 16th because they have better reserves than starters at most of the Bundesliga teams..and Atletico have lost in a summer more key players than BVB in the last 2 summers.

It's not his fault he has to deal with a second rate midfield, a disastrous defence and a Messi who can't finish.

It is when he is the one who wanted Rakitic, refused Kroos, bought Mathieu and Vermaelen and thanked the board for buying Douglass. So this might have been true last season with Tata, but Lucho has the players he wanted. The only problem is that he doesn't know how to use them.

Barca are still favorites for La Liga.

Based on what? Because if we look at last season and the current form of the best teams in La Liga, I don't think that we are the favourites.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans