Luis Enrique

jamrock

It's kind sad that thiago & koke never got a chance to lead the Midfield at any point,when they were clearly seen as the next two after iniesta & Xavi.

That's mainly on Enrique.

Koke----rodri-----thiago.

would have been one hell of a midfield, clear succession after the holy Trinity was pass their best, but it never materialized through no real fault of the players.

khaled_a_d

Team doesn't actually suck, it's the setup mainly.

Their attack sucks.
Which one of those attackers they have would start for France, Brazil or England? I would say non.
Morata might rotate in Portugal, and Torres might play the Lautaro's role of stabbing a dagger's in Messi's heart.
It just sucks, man.

And when you play against the best defense in the tournament so far, you better have attackers to create and finish.

That isn't defending Lucho, who was arrogant this tournament and cost them, but Spain is a pretender with this generation regardless of coach.
At least until they get an actual attacking talents.

Porque

Their attack sucks.
Which one of those attackers they have would start for France, Brazil or England? I would say non.
Morata might rotate in Portugal, and Torres might play the Lautaro's role of stabbing a dagger's in Messi's heart.
It just sucks, man.

And when you play against the best defense in the tournament so far, you better have attackers to create and finish.

That isn't defending Lucho, who was arrogant this tournament and cost them, but Spain is a pretender with this generation regardless of coach.
At least until they get an actual attacking talents.

When you go out against Morocco in the round of 16 (who are a good side to be fair and match very favourably against Spain) then you are going to be subject to your squad selection.

Luis Enrique took 5 right wingers (Ferran, Pino, Nico, Sarabia and Asensio who played false 9) with one striker in Morata. That sh*t is going to be questioned when a form striker like Borja Iglesias gets left out. Over the past few years Spain have benefitted in previous tournaments by having the options of Iago, Gerard Moreno and even Raul de Tomas. Yeremi Pino is great in general but not so much this season. Why was he even there for example?

El Gato

Villarato!
Some of his post-match comments, if they're not memed across by uncharitable journos, make him sound like he had a bit of mental episode. Anyone else see him say "football isn't everything" or "the guy playing with 8 for Morocco is good, don't know what his name is"?

fergus90

Spain's performance is not surprising in my opinion. Got about as far as expected with their current crop of players.

Morten

If you play favourites, better back it up with some results.

As coach of Spain has been pretty poor and underwhelming whilst leaving some of Spain's best players like Thiago at home completely, not even calling him for the bench.

Time to go.

He did quite well in the euros though.

El Gato

Villarato!
He did quite well in the euros though.

Overperformed IMO, as said at the time too
Needed pens in QF and struggled to control an underwhelming Croatia

That was just a start of weird decisions where was obvious from starters they need best forwards and Llorente was the best attacker in Spain

El Gato

Villarato!
Then again should qualify that Italy probably overperformed just as much if not more. Only sides that played well at their level of ability were all on the other side of the bracket

Horatio

You're welcome
Some of his post-match comments, if they're not memed across by uncharitable journos, make him sound like he had a bit of mental episode. Anyone else see him say "football isn't everything" or "the guy playing with 8 for Morocco is good, don't know what his name is"?

What's wrong with those comments? Might not know how to pronounce his name. He explained why he picked out no.8.

khaled_a_d

When you go out against Morocco in the round of 16 (who are a good side to be fair and match very favourably against Spain) then you are going to be subject to your squad selection.

Luis Enrique took 5 right wingers (Ferran, Pino, Nico, Sarabia and Asensio who played false 9) with one striker in Morata. That sh*t is going to be questioned when a form striker like Borja Iglesias gets left out. Over the past few years Spain have benefitted in previous tournaments by having the options of Iago, Gerard Moreno and even Raul de Tomas. Yeremi Pino is great in general but not so much this season. Why was he even there for example?

I have few questions:
-Which one of those would start for France NT, or Brazil or England?
-Which one will start for Portugal?
-Which one will start for Argentina or Netherlands?

For me the question is non of Spanish attackers would star for any of the 4 mentioned in 1st 3 questions, and they might enter the rotation for the other 2. But even with Argentina you have Messi who, despite his age, has a great pull on opponent defense.

For me they are the level of Croatia (maybe even more inferior) but they are asked to play like a contender rather than an underdog.

Again, I am not saying Lucho didn't make mistakes, because he did. And I understand that since this is Lucho thread it is the main discussion here.

But Spain seems to be back where they were before the golden generation: A QF team at best. A NT that is much smaller than the country own clubs in the eyes of many fans. You will never go far with such an attack

Barcilliant

Ramos and Nacho should have been CB pairing.
Thiago,Rodri and Koke/Pedri/Gavi should have been midfield.
I agree Iglesias should have been there. Either way Spain is not producing quality players especially forwards.

Home of Barca Fans