Luis Enrique

ryuken

This team we have is not a sextuple team, hell it is not even a triple trophies team with the current state.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Alik

Everyone making all these assumptions. According to what I've read & seen, there's not much to suggest there's huge differences from Pep & Enrique in terms of tactics. Another thing I don't get is people saying it like it'll be a "good thing" if Enrique's more defensive or less of an idealist. Over the years, the coaches who have really had success with Barca have all been those "idealist" types. It sounds like everyone wants a boring coach like Mourinho or... Ranieri (sorry Claudio).

What I'm saying sounds so obvious & I feel stupid even saying something which I assume is common knowledge amongst Barca fans, But the reason why Barcelona are so recognisable is because of this "he's also a bit of a fanatic when it comes to playing style and can be impractical". That is Barca, the style comes above everything & that's how it should be. Whilst I hated the losses against Inter in 2010 & Chelsea 2012, I still loved Barca's stubbornness in never giving up with winning according to the "playing style".

These discussions seem to go in stages and in circles.

Ever since Pep's last season at barca there was a general shift into the feeling that tiki taka has been found out. That it is time to 'evolve'.

Now after a couple of seasons it seems the general opinion is that tiki taka still works, we just don't play it anymore. We should try to go back to the way things were.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

footyfan

Calma, calma
Rijkaard, Robson and Van Gaal played and set the team up nothing like Cruyff and Pep. There was no adherence to a strict philosophy and neither was there any stubbornness to stick to it as JimmyGuitarist asserts. The only 'philosophy' Barca has had in the past 20 years or so (don't know much about earlier) is to play an attacking and attractive brand of football. Congratulations. That puts them in the same bucket as all the other top clubs in Europe.

ebieymjunior

Rijkaard, Robson and Van Gaal played and set the team up nothing like Cruyff and Pep. There was no adherence to a strict philosophy and neither was there any stubbornness to stick to it as JimmyGuitarist asserts. The only 'philosophy' Barca has had in the past 20 years or so (don't know much about earlier) is to play an attacking and attractive brand of football. Congratulations. That puts them in the same bucket as all the other top clubs in Europe.

You mean passing the ball around for no reason whatsoever under Rijkaard just to win some time in matches wasn't possession football?

Alarcón

Ever since Pep's last season at barca there was a general shift into the feeling that tiki taka has been found out. That it is time to 'evolve'.

I wasn't a member of the forum back when Pep was still our coach but I can't believe people really had that opinion back then. If you look at the big matches under Pep and compare them to the ones under Tito and Tata, you'll see a huge difference between then and now which is that we had more then plenty chances while we nowadays barely create anything anymore.

DinhoR10

Its sad to watch that video, knowing that we should've won 4 cls in a row if not for iniesta's injury and bad finishing. But Its also a good thing, Barca should play through the middle, why? Iniesta and Messi. Lucho just has to know that he has quite possibly the best midfielder ever at his disposal and play to his strengths, and the Best ever forward and play to his strengths.

Darko

I wasn't a member of the forum back when Pep was still our coach but I can't believe people really had that opinion back then. If you look at the big matches under Pep and compare them to the ones under Tito and Tata, you'll see a huge difference between then and now which is that we had more then plenty chances while we nowadays barely create anything anymore.

this, the only problem was our poor finishing/being unlucky, we dominated every single big game back then, we(the fans) had that belief that we were the better team and the players leave everything they got on the pitch
nowadays the match thread is full of lose/draw predictions

Crixus

Lucho , Puyol , De la Pena today .
BowW_IrCYAESxR8.jpg

Devils

Haha since Puyi can no longer beat himself up on a football pitch it seems he's looking to do it elsewhere.

Ursegor

World Champion

Nah. Disagree with that strongly. Just look at this goal from 13 years ago under Rexach.

Could have been just as well a picture book goal from Pep's Barca. You won't see "all other top clubs" putting 30 passes together back and forth until a gap opens in that very specific manner. There is a clear philosophy. Obviously lots of variations possible, also depending on player material and quality. But the basics are still the same: having the ball.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Our philosophy has been the same since Cruyff. Tata tried to fundamentally change the way we play, and that didn't work. With Lucho we should get back to the essence of Tiki-Taka, with a few novel strategies and approaches of course.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Nah. Disagree with that strongly. Just look at this goal from 13 years ago under Rexach.

Could have been just as well a picture book goal from Pep's Barca. You won't see "all other top clubs" putting 30 passes together back and forth until a gap opens in that very specific manner. There is a clear philosophy. Obviously lots of variations possible, also depending on player material and quality. But the basics are still the same: having the ball.

I've actually seen that goal live. That is one particular instance and the fact that it was so special makes it onto that list of best Champions League goals.

While it may be a Clasico, this is more representative of how Barca attacked.

They've had a philosophy of having the ball and making attacks with the ball, but that is one of the broadest philosophies one can find. Pep and Cruyff obsessed over it, they were fundamentalist about it - and that is what I'm actually arguing about. The other managers were not the same way. For instance, the Rijkaard team was very different to any of the ones under Pep. Tata's Barca also had the same 'philosophy' of having the ball. But with many variations, as you yourself point out was the case with previous teams (such as Rijkaard's). The result of those variations can be glaring. When Rivaldo and Kluivert were part of the team, they weren't averse to pumping in the crosses Tata-style.

So if you are one of those that consider Tata to have strayed from the Barca way, you'll have to realise that other managers in other times were not too dissimilar.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
Well, then we are talking about different things.

Tata hasn't changed the playing style or philosophy of Barca. He tried to add some tactical variations in how we attack and how we defend. Finishing moves quicker, more diagonals, more emphasis on wingplay, deeper defensive line to prevent 1 on 1 counters and also have space upfront when we break ourselves, Messi less involved in the buildup. More freedom in general. You still recognize this team as "Barca", albeit slower and worse than it should be because some of the tactical tweaks didn't come off, some players have declined and many opponents have adapted to this current Barca squad. The basics are still the same though. You still have a team with 68 % avg. possession and > 600 short passes per game. Centerbacks splitting, positional rotations, ball retention. Everything is just ... worse or slower.

Basically if I showed a non football fan footage from 10/11 and this season's Barca and another footage "from any other top team" he would easily recognize 10/11 Barca and the current Barca playing the same style. If you get what I mean.

Home of Barca Fans