Lucas Bergvall

Porque

But how far did the deal spiral from our budget? Djurgardson reportedly accepted our offer. Did they then reject our offer after Spurs raised their bid? As far as I know not, since there was already legally an offer and acceptance.

So when we are talking of the financial package to Bergvall himself including signing on fees and agent fees, it surely could not be that much of a monumental gulf.

Atleast with Guler for example we know that he wanted to leave Turkey right now, while we wanted him for the summer. But Bergvall is staying in Sweden until summer.

Messi983

People keep using the term "closing the deal" but in reality what does it mean? Those guys has agents whose work is to use every way to maximise the potential earning and career of their client. You could accept all their demands and they will use your offer to leverage it to other clubs and get even higher deal. The "close the deal" is assuming that those agents are incompetent fools.

Or if player has his heart fully set on joining a certain team and rejects approaches from other clubs. Like Roque. But these cases are very rare.

Getting a better financial offer clearly played a role but I think main factor in his decision could well be uncertainty about who our next coach will be and also having a fellow countrymen (Kulu) who is a regular starter at Spurs and could help him adapt to living in a foreign country.

Messi983

But how far did the deal spiral from our budget? Djurgardson reportedly accepted our offer. Did they then reject our offer after Spurs raised their bid? As far as I know not, since there was already legally an offer and acceptance.

So when we are talking of the financial package to Bergvall himself including signing on fees and agent fees, it surely could not be that much of a monumental gulf.

Atleast with Guler for example we know that he wanted to leave Turkey right now, while we wanted him for the summer. But Bergvall is staying in Sweden until summer.

My understanding is that:

1. His club accepted our offer (that was lower than offer from Eintracht for example) because he initially told them he only wants to join us.

2. Xavi announced his decision to leave which made him having second thoughts.

3. Tottenham saw their opportunity and had the kid brought to London to see their facilities and talk with their SD (who is a Scandinavian too which probably helped a bit - not sure how similar Danish and Swedish languages are though), Ange and I'd assume Kulusevski too. They offered a better financial package to both his club and the player/his agent.

4. He still visited Barcelona (could be his family was just taking a free trip but I think his interest in joining was genuine) looking for some guarantees/answers which Deco couldn't give him (most important who the next coach will be) or maybe wasn't totally convinced with.

I don't blame Deco though. I think he did his best to "sell" the club but just wasn't enough. Could possibly ask him to delay his decision until summer but then that pre-agreed deal with his club would probably expire and more clubs like Chelsea would get interested so we would lose out on him anyway. We just can't win bidding wars right now and our plan is/should be to avoid them as much as possible by identifying our targets earlier than other clubs and actually sign them, not just have them "under control". Ofc easier said than done.

5. After considering for a day or two he decided for Tottenham and ofc his club will also gladly take few millions more if they can get them. Or that difference between our and Tottenham's offer won't actually go fully to his club but rather as commision to his agent/family. Wouldn't be the first nor the last time.

khaled_a_d

All the talks about accepting our offer was when it was Barca vs Frankfurt, Spurs weren't in the conversation and we were Lucas choice.

Then after terms were set, Spurs comes in and offer even bigger package and chance to play in EPL and CL most likely (5 team are gonna qualify from 2 top leagues) right away rather than B team.

He seems like an over confident kid tbh, who thinks he is ready for the big boys right away rather than the development journey.
Even before Deco, many kids declined the B team thing.

Messi983

Even before Deco, many kids declined the B team thing.

And I would say not many of them fullfiled their potential. Would they do better if they would take a slower path for development? We'll never know but kids are getting more and more impatient. We don't know their backgrounds though. They might be pushed by their families and/or agents to earn "easy and big" money as soon as possible rather than building their careers step by step.

JamDav1982

It didnt come down to a bidding war unless claim it is money for player/agents as clubs had agreed a fee.

Every single time Barca lose a player it is claimed it is about money when it was reported that Bergvall had been turning down better offers from elsewhere already anyway.

It is embarrassing that they have him in and he also visits Spurs and chooses Spurs.

Porque

I wonder if Xavi influence is what lead it to fall through though. Imagine Xavi is giving all the talk of the project and the kid being a key part of his plans like he did to Kounde, Raphinha, Torre and then a few days later steps down and says that was his plans since beginning season.

It's going to make you question things.

It may make Spurs look like a way more professional structure.

delancey

I think he made a sensible decision. He needs to play at the highest level, and as far as I know, we offered him division 3 level football in Barca B! Let’s assume that he he did indeed join our first team! Would he have bene able to compete with De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, or Gundogan? Add Torre and Fermin into the equation, and one can easily see how any Barca DNA Manager would prioritize La Masia talent over some Swedish kid who doesn’t speak any Spanish (or Catalan). Hell… even Romeu would see more minutes.

The financial offer may have been better. Who knows? However, I think development was at the forefront of this decision. He made a wise decision.

malvolio

I don't give a flying fuck about a player who chose Spurs over us. If it was City, Liverpool, Bayern etc than at least it would mean the player was really something else.

As others mentioned, the least of our priorities was to get a no name CM.

Porque

I think he made a sensible decision. He needs to play at the highest level, and as far as I know, we offered him division 3 level football in Barca B! Let’s assume that he he did indeed join our first team! Would he have bene able to compete with De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, or Gundogan? Add Torre and Fermin into the equation, and one can easily see how any Barca DNA Manager would prioritize La Masia talent over some Swedish kid who doesn’t speak any Spanish (or Catalan). Hell… even Romeu would see more minutes.

The financial offer may have been better. Who knows? However, I think development was at the forefront of this decision. He made a wise decision.

That would be the initial plan here I guess. Pre-season with the first team, play with the B team until an opportunity opens up.

So in terms of development is Spurs any better? They could say he would be part of the first team just as many other clubs say, but then you look at the Spurs first team and there isn't even a player 20 or under in the whole squad.

Personally I think Frankfurt would have been the best option for him.

I mean sure, we can't have a first team full of 17 or 18 year olds, but at the same time we have shown that we are not afraid to play a young player if they are good enough.

In the end this guy looks quite a talent but I'm not too bothered we missed. I'd by far be more interested if we could spend this 10+ variables on a big defensive midfield prospect or left winger. One with a similar profile of age and first team minutes.

khaled_a_d

Ornestein said he will sign today, fee is 10M + add-ons (ours was 7M+3M btw) and will join first team in summer right away.

As I said, I feel that this is an over confident kid who thinks he can prove himself right away at biggest stage and Spurs are offering him that

delancey

That would be the initial plan here I guess. Pre-season with the first team, play with the B team until an opportunity opens up.

So in terms of development is Spurs any better? They could say he would be part of the first team just as many other clubs say, but then you look at the Spurs first team and there isn't even a player 20 or under in the whole squad.

Personally I think Frankfurt would have been the best option for him.

I mean sure, we can't have a first team full of 17 or 18 year olds, but at the same time we have shown that we are not afraid to play a young player if they are good enough.
For a young and talented foreign player who needs consistent game time to develop, especially one who’s from a non-Latin country, any club would be better than Barcelona.

Yes, I do believe that first team football in Spurs is better for him than competing against La Masia and losing despite being more talented. He is joining the first team at Spurs, I believe? The fact that Roberto and Romeu would be rated higher by any Catalan manager says it all, really. Nepotism at Barca is like a virus. 🦠

Frankfurt would have been good too but maybe he doesn’t speak any German? German is a shit language to learn. 😅 👌

Home of Barca Fans