Lliga | Round 18: Getafe - FC Barcelona 1-2

FCBfan22

Somewhat. But with Messi (not) playing on the right, he'd like to have an option in attack. Sadly, it doesn't work. If Roberto doesn't regain form, there'll be no point in starting him in big, important matches.

This can be solved easily. Since Suarez is spending most of the time as RST and filling in at RW, why can't he do that at LST/LW and play Dembele there.

Devils

We don't have any 'difficult' matches until the end of February in any competition.

FFS. we are in a prime position in the league.

Can't fuck it up.

serghei

This can be solved easily. Since Suarez is spending most of the time as RST and filling in at RW, why can't he do that at LST/LW and play Dembele there.

Because Suarez plays most of the time keeping the two CBs busy. Messi can't do that. Thing is we need Suarez in the middle of our attack. Messi should stop crossing on the other side (what's he doing on the left), at least in the big games. He won't be effective that way. Scored today, but mostly because the Getafe defenders were sleeping in their boots. He can do his playmaking stuff from the right just fine, coming inside on his left foot.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

Because Suarez plays most of the time keeping the two CBs busy. Messi can't do that. Thing is we need Suarez in the middle of our attack. Messi should stop crossing on the other side (what's he doing on the left), at least in the big games. He won't be effective that way. Scored today, but mostly because the Getafe defenders were sleeping in their boots.

Still, it's better to have someone else on the right than lonely Roberto.

serghei

Messi is far more dangerous from CAM/SS/False 9 position IMO.

That has never worked in Champions League since Pep, not consistently anyway. Only time he was great in CL was playing RW under Lucho, coming inside. The plays he makes have a much lower chance of causing that damage when you replace the Getafe and Huesca defenders and midfielders with Liverpool's or Juventus' defenders.

Messi - Alba connection is a clear example of a play that works twice as better vs lower sides than it does against elite teams.

Last edited:

Joan

It can't work to have a RB doing all the flank. Nobody does that in world football. Would be a tall order even for prime Alves. Messi should just stay more on the right.

I agee 100%. I prefer Messi playing from the right, cutting inside on his left. But that's not happening, at least not in minor liga matches.

serghei

I agee 100%. I prefer Messi playing from the right, cutting inside on his left. But that's not happening, at least not in minor liga matches.

I think we're doing fine as it is for La Liga. Some crappy games here and there, but manageable under the context of our rivals not being all that good. We can afford to basically let Messi do his thing, as long as we know this type of stuff ain't gonna work vs top class teams. It's way too loose.

Games in CL are too close to command them the way we do in La Liga, and barely see brilliant no10 playmaking in these few years once you get past a certain point. It's mostly fast, high octane football with a lot of intensity. Pretty physical stuff, with a high emphasis for counter attacks and fast transitions. Put Messi on the RW mosty, and Dembele on the left, with Suarez in the center occupying two CBs and you'll have real guns who can hurt teams. And if we pack enough energy and aggressiveness in our midfield, I think we could go far this year.

But if we fool around with Messi the mage wondering around everywhere trying to apply his genius stamp on every play we ain't doing anything, no matter how great Messi is. The channels will be blocked 90% faster than they are vs a standard La Liga team.

Last edited:

eaman

We have played worse games than this straight after the winter break even under pep at home. If it happens next week then ye can complain. Also Roberto hasn't played in two months or so so give him time to get his offensive game going. Still would be nice to get a top full back in January if possible

Leo_Messi

Painful stuff to watch as usual (almost) nowadays but the team got the desired result. A familiar theme. Aside from 20-25 minutes of the first half, the team lacked direction and I still don't have a clue what Valverde's system is or in particular his offensive tactic. Getafe are no pushovers away from home but the lack of intensity is no excuse. Something that is common as well, unfortunately.

Anyway 1 down 6 to go. Talking about the next 7 league games before tonight's game. If we win them all, another league title looks very, very likely.

Messi983

Point difference between Barça and RM after 18th Round since 2008/09 season...

[tw]1082042359209254917[/tw]

henias

Point difference between Barça and RM after 18th Round since 2008/09 season...

[tw]1082042359209254917[/tw]

What's the point of posting all these to make yourself feel good. No doubt this Madrid is in shambles.

Even if in 2014/2015 we were 4 points behind, that's still one of the most inspriing Barca side I've seen as compared to the current Barca side. They also went on to win the treble. How we fare with Madrid doesnt dictate our success.

Home of Barca Fans