Lliga: FC Barcelona - Elche 3-0

SocalBarcaFan

All managers start Masch, Lucho will not be the exception. Masch makes huge contributions every game, which way outweighs his limitations as a CB.

If Lucho had 2 Mascheranos, both would start because any manager would start his best 11.

Mascherano playing CB is one of the largest reasons why everyone has been so desperate to get new CBs. He sucks at CB. If we played two of him as CB we'd lose every game we played because he doesn't have a single CB instinct in his entire body despite having played there for years. Piss poor in the air, absolutely zero positional awareness, reckless timing on his tackles (He's good doing it in midfield but when he's the last man he doesn't modify his behaviors), poor judgement of the ball, lack of marking ability, etc. Literally everything you'd want from a CB, he does not have. If his position was actually a CB and he was playing for Man City we'd all laugh at the thought of him ever playing for a club like Barcelona.

I agree that Masche has to play because he does so much for the team. But I also agree that Masche shouldn't be a CB for us anymore. That doesn't mean he won't get plenty of playing time. We have depth at CB now so there is no reason for him to play there. Rotating Busi and Masche at CDM will give them both ample minutes throughout the season and keep both fresh for the business point of the season. I think there will also be times we see Busi and Masche on the field as midfielders at the same time..... Especially against the better teams. Zangash, you're 100% right about Mascheranos "reckless" tackles. Those are so valuable when He's in the midfield cause he actually gets them right 90% of the time. But in the midfield when he misses he has cover behind him.

So yea..... I'm in the camp that hopes Lucho plays Masche exclusively in the midfield unless an injury crisis occurs

F

Flavia

Lucho might play Masch as CB against Elche so he gets some match fitness. I'd rather he starts Bartra, but I can see it happening.

kidfish

If u go by the two player in every position rule Lucho really should play our CB's as CB's instead of Masch in that position. AND If we want Masch to rise to that WC quality we need him as a confident player in the right position and with a healthy Mathieu and a belief in Bartra we can really do that.

Zangash

Banned
Lucho might play Masch as CB against Elche so he gets some match fitness. I'd rather he starts Bartra, but I can see it happening.

I don't see why everyone acts like we only have one CB slot. If Masch somehow starts as CB Bartra can still play. If that defensive pairing is so weak that we can't handle Elche the problem would be in using Masch there, not Bartra.

JamDav1982

I don't see why everyone acts like we only have one CB slot. If Masch somehow starts as CB Bartra can still play. If that defensive pairing is so weak that we can't handle Elche the problem would be in using Masch there, not Bartra.

The defence of Masch and Pique was the strongest pairing last season, the majority of games Bartra played against better sides the back four looked a shambles. Although not entirely his fault he didnt come in and improve things.

In my opinion the reason Lucho will start with Masch at back is for the experience and leadership he takes. Bartra can be all over the place defensively and pairing him up with a new CB finding his feet could be a disaster.

F

Flavia

Lucho has 2 rcbs and 2 lcbs now. And masch as an extra. I think Pique - Mathieu will be his preferred pairing, at least until Verm is ready, and if thomas does well.

kidfish

If we want Masch up to that WC quality he need to get 100% confident in his role. We have more than enough CB's now (thank God) :)

BerkeleyBernie

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...lche-suarez-absent-defence-key-151830147.html

Some interesting stats and facts at the end. I found this particularly revealing:

Barcelona conceded the highest proportion of goals from corner situations in 2013/14 (27%).

If I'm reading that stat correctly, that's pretty amazing: 1 out of 4 goals against Barça came from corners, the worse record defending corners in the league. That's 8 out of the 33 goals conceded over the season, some of which resulted in a loss or draw. Let's say Mathieu and Vermaelen can save 4 out of those 8- that would be HUUUGE.

As far as Elche, they drew Barça 0-0 at home in their last encounter. However, that was at the end of the season fighting to avoid relegation against a flaccid Barça. They've had a large turnover, and they are playing at Camp Nou against a fresh Barça. I don't see them getting a result, no matter how defensive they play.

Another addition this season in the weapons against buses is the outside shooting of Rakitic (and Suarez). Barça, as usual, will have no problem getting to the opponent box, and a few hammered outside shots may be all it takes to grab a goal and unlock the game.

Zangash

Banned
Lucho has 2 rcbs and 2 lcbs now. And masch as an extra. I think Pique - Mathieu will be his preferred pairing, at least until Verm is ready, and if thomas does well.

If we have 1 rcb and 1 lcb available why would we use the extra?

JamDav1982

If we have 1 rcb and 1 lcb available why would we use the extra?

In my opinion it is because Mathieu is still settling in and putting him next to a more experienced/leader type player makes sense.

More likely to be Mathieu/Bartra once Mathieu is settled in, knows the system and feels more comfortable to organise things.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Departing now for my trip to Barcelona. Hopefully its a great game. See you guys on Tuesday. :p

serghei

Masch might be doing better in training than Bartra. Lucho said he wants fierce competition.

The thing is we have 5 players who can play CB -- Pique, Bartra, Mathieu, Vermaelen and Mascherano. Out of those 5, the guys that are in the best form should play, no matter their age or if they are native CBs or converted CBs.

But we can start Bartra against Elche and play with Mathieu and Mascherano against Villareal.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yep, good chance we'll see Munir play with Neymar out with the Grade 1 ankle sprain...Any update on Pedro's condition?

Home of Barca Fans