Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morten

These rather sudden complaints about Messi in regards to work rate are a bit odd, i guess he ran a bit more when he was younger but he has always been lazy.

If people are saying this now because his contribution to the team isn't as great now as in the past, thats fair, but people shouldn't act as if Messi changed when he has always been like this off the ball, more or less.

Messigician

These rather sudden complaints about Messi in regards to work rate are a bit odd, i guess he ran a bit more when he was younger but he has always been lazy.

If people are saying this now because his contribution to the team isn't as great now as in the past, thats fair, but people shouldn't act as if Messi changed when he has always been like this off the ball, more or less.

He looked more lively under Pep

Compare hos workrate in the 3-0 win over Liverpool to now big difference

Messigician

Looks past certain individual games, i can also remember games where he put in a shift, but those are exceptions, not the norm.

Well that's kinda the point ain't it

PSG vs City is one of the games you expect him to put a shift in more than usual

serghei

2009 - 2012 he was not lazy. He never had awesome workrate but nothing like this. After Pep he got worse in this area. And now he's at his personal worst.

Barcilliant

I see a few issues
He's older and never had a good work rate
He likes to drop deep and get the ball at his feet. This means he can lose the ball in areas which the opposition can pounce. We've seen it at Barca. He loses the ball and doesn't track back. If he was a penalty box predator like Ronaldo you could forgive him for his work rate.
Pochettino is the wrong manager for this team. Ancelotti and Zidane are better fits. They command respect and know how to handle a dressing room.
You can only have one number ten. It's either Messi or Neymar.
Messi just doesn't look motivated nowadays even in big cl games. It's probably time to move to MLS or Qatar where he can get a big retirement paycheck.

BusiTheKing

The workrate is bigger than a pressure issue. He clearly walks way too much when in the team is in possession too.

I remember having a breaking point with him in the Clasico in 19/20. There was a particular situation where he had stayed up front not bothering to defend RM's attack. Then we launched a counter and instead of capitalizing on his advanced positioning, he decided not to bother with our counter attack either. I think it ended with Arthur going solo towards Courtois with no support. Messi just stood still for two entire shifts of play. Right there, part of me started looking forward to seeing him gone.

Windhook

No doubt he's declined, injuries in recent times as well, all that combined with no pre-season preparation - we see the result. I'm not on the opinion he's finished, he'll regain his form but expecting a 2018/19 level Messi is unrealistic. Also the problem at PSG is Neymar and Mbappe are doing little work to help Messi's fortunes, they have low chemistry and Neymar is not the same player he was in 2016 let's say. Basically Leo is the one who has to make the key pass/cross to Mbappe or others. If you watch PSG's goal against Man City you'll notice that Neymar was the receiver of that Messi pass, but the ball deflected to where Mbappe had positioned.

Mitchell1978

PSG is still geared towards Mbappe's speed.
Anything but a team focused on passing and possession which suits Messi far more.
I believe it would also suit Neymar more.
Mbappe leaving to Real might not be a bad thing.

Raketa10

2018/19 season was one of the best seasons Leo ever had. Problem is that entire team around him was horrible together with the coach. He basically single-handedly brought us to the semis and had unbelievable first leg game against Lpool. Unfortunately you need a team to win CL and he didn't have it that year.

After that season he started to work less than before and right now he barely moves on the pitch without the ball. We also need to understand that he has almost 35 years of age and situation will get only worse. He is much slower than before and his motivation is questionable. I sincerely think that the only remaining thing he cares about is WC in Qatar. He will for sure retire after that.

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

Ballon d'Or is a huge scam award. Messi shouldn't win it this year and I say even 2010 was debatable. Ronaldo shouldn't have won 2013 either .

It just who's the most Instagram Fans wins

Mitchell1978

Ballon d'Or is a huge scam award. Messi shouldn't win it this year and I say even 2010 was debatable. Ronaldo shouldn't have won 2013 either .

Then why should Lewandowski or whoever win it?
Only won the Bundesliga (which Bayern wins by default), QF exit in the CL, groupstage exit at the Euro...)

Fati_Future_BallonDor

2018/19 season was one of the best seasons Leo ever had. Problem is that entire team around him was horrible together with the coach. He basically single-handedly brought us to the semis and had unbelievable first leg game against Lpool. Unfortunately you need a team to win CL and he didn't have it that year.

After that season he started to work less than before and right now he barely moves on the pitch without the ball. We also need to understand that he has almost 35 years of age and situation will get only worse. He is much slower than before and his motivation is questionable. I sincerely think that the only remaining thing he cares about is WC in Qatar. He will for sure retire after that.

I dont think motivation is the problem, he looked interested and angry at the end when city turned the match. Messi and Ronaldo will probably never lose motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans