Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I think the difference is that Messi fans (not fanboys) praise him when he performs to world class standards at 34. And accept that he won't dominate every match or even often at 34. I actually would afford CR7 the same leeway if his fanboys didn't claim he has the body and fitness of a 24 year old at 37. That and I have a Messi bias (but not blinders).

I think your benchmark (from my impression) is set to a very high level (prime Messi or somewhere close to that), which he simply can't deliver unless you have a time machine.

I was saying this a few years but you never believed me :p

OG and KL have said it rightly, Messi isnt at his peak years anymore and he wont deliver as he did a few years ago. In terms of the ballon dor Messi should win it if we look at ballon dor rules as the players who won it in 16 and 18 won it also because of the tournaments wins and not because they were the best in the world. If you ask me who is the best in 2021 i would say lewa.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Pochettino seems also to be crap, he doesnt know how to play with the front three. Well, its not easy for any coach to have three guys who dont want to defend but still he needs to find a solution.

KingLeo10

Coming from a guy who had one of the worst stamina in football.

Guy has a trophy cabinet of a supercopa with RM and some tinpot Dutch titles and he's talking about "desire".

Messi's effort being below par is totally fair game for criticism, but it's hilarious when they former pros who were barely any good come up with BBZ level hyperboles.

Rassvet

I think the difference is that Messi fans (not fanboys) praise him when he performs to world class standards at 34. And accept that he won't dominate every match or even often at 34. I actually would afford CR7 the same leeway if his fanboys didn't claim he has the body and fitness of a 24 year old at 37. That and I have a Messi bias (but not blinders).

I think your benchmark (from my impression) is set to a very high level (prime Messi or somewhere close to that), which he simply can't deliver unless you have a time machine.

My standards for him aren’t prime Messi but to at least make a team better and be one of the top 5-10 players in the world.

So far, his performances with PSG have been closer to Griezmann/Coutinho level at Barca.

Horatio

You're welcome
On top of that Van der Vaart really let himself go and got fat at one point because he paid frequent visits to snack palaces. He was kind of ridiculed for this a few years ago.

KingLeo10

My standards for him aren’t prime Messi but to at least make a team better and be one of the top 5-10 players in the world.

So far, his performances with PSG have been closer to Griezmann/Coutinho level at Barca.

Then you should stop campaigning for him to win Ballon D'Or.

He hasn't magically fallen off a cliff since the Copa America. Last season he started way worse and BBZ was calling him the WOAT and that Braithwaite would be better for the team. And now BBZ wrote yesterday that "it's now clear Messi was 80% of the team". But you're over here screen capping me and trying to catch me in a L when the CL KOs aren't even here.

Also, it's undeniable that majority of your posts these days are trolling. I don't have a problem with that if you keep it original and funny but these days it's so predictable what you'll post in the Ballon D'Or and PSG/Messi threads on a daily basis that even a robot from the 90s could replicate it. No need for AI/machine learning either.

EDIT: I actually like your posting on this forum (as when you're serious you actually have good insight). I've even started Messigician a little bit. So no one's calling for any bans or anything like that.

Last edited:

OGbarca

Banned
Guy has a trophy cabinet of a supercopa with RM and some tinpot Dutch titles and he's talking about "desire".

Messi's effort being below par is totally fair game for criticism, but it's hilarious when they former pros who were barely any good come up with BBZ level hyperboles.

lol, well put. i like Rio ferdinand, gary neville, and roy keane's punditry. they were excellent professionals and serial winners. keane in particular has every right to call footballers 'unmotivated' 'soft' and 'lazy'-- but van der vaart? :lol:

Horatio

You're welcome
Its even worse when someone like Cassano criticizes players, which he does a fair bit.

Its just blatant hypocrisy.

It's hypocrisy but the alternative is that the analysists stop from being truthful and hold a different standard for different people. It's cringe to hear at times but I prefer them to remain truthful. It's their job to "analyze" in the end I guess...

Should we pull Neville from the air because he should not comment on other coaches after his failed stint at Valencia?

KingLeo10

lol, well put. i like Rio ferdinand, gary neville, and roy keane's punditry. they were excellent professionals and serial winners. keane in particular has every right to call footballers 'unmotivated' 'soft' and 'lazy'-- but van der vaart? :lol:

Yeah, if Keane or Ferdinand criticize Messi, I'm down to hear about it. They have credentials.

Rassvet

Then you should stop campaigning for him to win Ballon D'Or.

Also, it's undeniable that majority of your posts these days are trolling. I don't have a problem with that if you keep it original and funny but these days it's so predictable what you'll post in the Ballon D'Or and PSG/Messi threads on a daily basis that even a robot from the 90s could replicate it. No need for AI/machine learning either.

There’s a difference between wanting someone to win the ballon d’or and thinking they are the best player in the world or that they deserve the ballon d’or.

If anything, I have actually been well behaved of late on here. You just seem to be overly optimistic about a lot of things and think that anyone who doesn’t share your positivity is trolling.

KingLeo10

There’s a difference between wanting someone to win the ballon d’or and thinking they are the best player in the world or that they deserve the ballon d’or.

I don't buy this, sorry. It's a lot of posts to pull up but you definitely had Messi as one of the top two players in the world in terms of performances/play throughout much of the summer. Other being Lewa, obviously.

And all of sudden, since Messi went to PSG (after you were the one pulling that bandwagon the hardest lol), he's suddenly a bum system player based on like 10 games.

My current assessment of you is that you aren't a fan of any team/player in general and your MO is causing chaos on the forum. Which is entertaining, but gets old when the routine isn't kept up well.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

If anything, I have actually been well behaved of late on here. You just seem to be overly optimistic about a lot of things and think that anyone who doesn’t share your positivity is trolling.

I don't buy this, sorry. It's a lot of posts to pull up but you definitely had Messi as one of the top two players in the world in terms of performances/play throughout much of the summer. Other being Lewa, obviously.

And all of sudden, since Messi went to PSG (after you were the one pulling that bandwagon the hardest lol), he's suddenly a bum system player based on like 10 games.

My current assessment of you is that you aren't a fan of any team/player in general and your MO is causing chaos on the forum. Which is entertaining, but gets old when the routine isn't kept up well.

Relax guys :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans