Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

mc_lovin

Great explanatory video

My issue is what's the alternative? I adore our current team, but we lack something. A spark or whatever. And truth be told we won't find it in the transfer market, we might improve some weak spots (like buying a talent for RB), but that's pretty much it.

So, its basically going into the next season with our current squad (+some minor transfers that will happen with or without Messi) or with our current squad+Messi. The latter is definitely the more exciting choice, and Messi might provide that lacking spark.

malvolio

Pretty obvious what is meant by that, can see what happens at psg when you have 2 players that contribute fuck all in the defensive phase. Then you add in the potential re-signing of busquets and we're back to square one with the same issues we were complaining about 5 years ago except with the players being even older.

I understand that, but we don't have money for some young studs. Messi is brought in for the star factor and for the fact he is still a very good player, for the right money.

FC B

I feel he should play for free if he truly loves Barca and wants to return. He already has enough money for 10 lifetimes so greed shouldnt be a factor.

Given our financial problems which is pattially to us blowing his wages up every time and therefore other players as well. He milked this club enough and we are going in a different phase. Signing Messi at 36 on high wages despite who is and what he has done is goong backwards.

If however he signs fot free and plays out of love for the sport and the club/city then its all good and he can join for 2 more years.

Sadly, imo, it's impossible he'd come back for free but that would also be the only way I'd see the move worth, economically.
Sporting wise I reckon it won't be of much help if any at all. He's 36 years old and a midfield with him and Busquets is dreadful to imagine let alone to watch day in and day out.

For me better he'd move to another club or stay in Paris.

Daniele

My issue is what's the alternative? I adore our current team, but we lack something. A spark or whatever. And truth be told we won't find it in the transfer market, we might improve some weak spots (like buying a talent for RB), but that's pretty much it.

So, its basically going into the next season with our current squad (+some minor transfers that will happen with or without Messi) or with our current squad+Messi. The latter is definitely the more exciting choice, and Messi might provide that lacking spark.

it may make sense to add a few functional players and try to build a team with perfect tactical mechanisms over the long term, Xavi's verb above individualisms, like Spalletti's Napoli this year. Obviously from a storytelling and romance standpoint, Messi's return would be top notch; even if it could turn out to be a boomerang for the team's game

Rory

What position would Messi be taking up? He's better coming off the right hand side. Are we going to drop dembele (when fit) or 75m Raphinha who we just bought. Raphinha plays a big role in starting the pressing from the front, he never stops running and he's not even half as effective from the left hand side. There's just not much of a role for Messi here considering the squad we have, unless he's here to sit on the bench half the season. OR we sell one of Dembele/Raphinha

serghei

Messi can't do shit in CL, if anything he'll be a negative factor because of his terrible workrate. Only thing he can do is make us repeat a La Liga title next season and provide a bit more entertainment vs low quality sides like Getafe and Elche. That plus nostalgia factor.

Hard pass. We are already proving we can win domestically without him, so what he can bring at this age is not needed.

Our best hope is his notorious greed protects us from this transfer.

If we are trying to improve our intensity levels and our CL form, then past it players like Messi who don't press and barely move off the ball is the last thing we should do.

I like Xavi, but thinking he can make something out of Messi at his age without fucking up the good things he's done in the team is dumb.

Last edited:

Rory

Messi can't do shit in CL, if anything he'll be a negative factor because of his terrible workrate. Only thing he can do is make us repeat a La Liga title next season and provide a bit more entertainment vs low quality sides like Getafe and Elche. That plus nostalgia factor.

Hard pass. We are already proving we can win domestically without him, so what he can bring at this age is not needed.

If we are trying to improve our intensity levels and our CL form, then past it players like Messi who don't press and barely move off the ball is the last thing we should do.

I like Xavi, but thinking he can make something out of Messi at his age without fucking up the good things he's done in the team is dumb.

would score/assist more than lewa did in the ucl.

FC B

It was about rebuilding a winning team, right? So why bring him back at this age? I'd reject the transfer if I was Laporta.

Porque

This, but repeating LaLiga while getting to the CL KO rounds and losing may be better financially than not getting Messi, repeating LaLiga and reaching the CL KO rounds and losing.

If it can be objectably proven that Messi will increase revenue (and more importantly P margins because no point increasing revenue if Messi costs more than the % difference between income and expenditure) then we maaaay have a case to bring him back. Given I don't expect us to win the CL with or without him.

But yeah, I'd prefer we solidly continue to build this functioning team, and if the system sticks would be happy to instead just go for Ndicka and Kamada (Gavi rotation), if we are severly handicapped signings wise. With Thuram as a speedy forward/LW option as a cherry on top.

mc_lovin

Like he couldn't do shit at the world cup?

First time in ages he would have a world-class defence behind him in club football. Plus a young and energetic midfield. No wonder he wants to leave PSG for us.

If Xavi thinks he can make it work trust him. But then again you were all shitting on Xavi as well, so who am I talking to.

ajnotkeith

Like he couldn't do shit at the world cup?

First time in ages he would have a world-class defence behind him in club football. Plus a young and energetic midfield. No wonder he wants to leave PSG for us.

If Xavi thinks he can make it work trust him. But then again you were all shitting on Xavi as well, so who am I talking to.

7 goals, with 5 penalties taken... Is it him or was it his team for winning the penalties?

ajnotkeith

Forget goals, his overall game was top-notch as well.

He had a great World Cup, of course. But we are talking club football and we have a much greater sample size in his last years with Barca and couple seasons with PSG in how he copes at club level. Whilst individual stats were good, the reality is we are 12 points ahead without him and PSG have been 16'd twice with him now.

One of the things Xavi has done so well in is bringing back the intensity, the pressing, the desire and workrate, modernising us and above all that nobody is bigger than the team. Everyone is one more.

If Messi came back, that is the way it should be as well. But if there's that much money to spend (undoubtedly he is gonna ask for a very big wage) we should go for some younger attackers instead.

mc_lovin

He had a great World Cup, of course. But we are talking club football and we have a much greater sample size in his last years with Barca and couple seasons with PSG in how he copes at club level.

His last years at Barca with Lenglet, Semedo and co and whatever PSG was doing? Fair samples.

Messi in Xavi's 4-men midfield could be absolutely incredible to watch (for a year). As far as I am concerned we just don't have a lot to lose unless you think the current squad can win the CL (I don't think so).

Home of Barca Fans