- FIFA World Cup Silver Boot 2022
- Finalissima MOTM 2022
- Copa America Best Player 2015
- Copa America Best Player 2021
- Copa America Top Goalscorer 2021
- Copa America Top Assister 2021
- Top 5 Goalscorers in World Cup History
- Sharing the most assists in World Cup Knockout History

Best club career (individual + team accomplishments)

Top 3 international career (individual + team accomplishments)

Almost 1,200 G + A

GOAT clear as usual.

Temptation

Best club career (individual + team accomplishments)

Umm.....

Not the best player in the biggest club competition.

Doesn't have the most CLs either.

Succeeded only in 1 top domestic league. Failed in the worst top league of Europe playing for a state funded club.

KingLeo10

Took less than 10 mins for this fool who always camps on this thread to start frothing :lol: Especially the moment I posted.

Messi's Barcelona career is universally recognized among players, pundits, and opposition fans as the best club career, and at worst in the argument for best club career. It's not just about CL count or else Gento and a bunch of RM players from 50s and 60s>>>>> the RM players who won 4 or 5 recently.

I don't even have to get into your Schizophrenic argument about playing for 1 club for 95% of career versus club hopping. What was he supposed to do? Leave Barca in 2014? :lol:

soul24rage

Umm.....

Not the best player in the biggest club competition.

Doesn't have the most CLs either.

Succeeded only in 1 top domestic league. Failed in the worst top league of Europe playing for a state funded club.
Every player has holes in their resume.

If you factor in everything, then Messi's club career is, at the worst, in the discussion as the best club career in history.

Temptation

Triggered and started throwing personal insults for no reason as usual. Next step is crying about me when I retaliate. :lol:

Anyways, I'll stick to the topic:

Messi is easily the best LL player of all time. No debate.

Messi is not the best CL player of all time. He has 3 CL trophies as the main man. He's the second best as it stands.

The leagues argument: No, it's not compulsory to leave La Liga. Messi was playing for the club he supposedly loves so why leave? Agreed....... except.....he did leave and went to the worst top league playing for a state funded oil club and failed. So, he changed leagues and failed which is definitely a red mark on his CV.

His club career is one of the best ever. But not the "undisputed best club career by a countrymile" like some of his acolytes claim.

This was my point.

Andresito

Staff member
You think Messi would trade his career as a whole with any other player, if so, who?

Messi has a better record against English top 6 than CR despite never playing in the league. Is there any proof at all that Messi in his prime would fail in another league?

Like I said. When he retires people will underrate him.

KingLeo10

Another underrated fact:

Messi and Maradona are the only all-time great players to win a WC without another all-time great player (another top 25-50 player in history). Messi also did this at 35.

Beckenbauer had Gerd Muller

R9 had R10 and Rivaldo

Pele had a stacked Brazil squad with Garrincha and co.

ZZ had a stacked France squad with Desailly, Thuram, Henry and co.

Temptation

Another underrated fact:

Messi and Maradona are the only all-time great players to win a WC without another all-time great player (another top 25-50 player in history). Messi also did this at 35.

Beckenbauer had Gerd Muller

R9 had R10 and Rivaldo

Pele had a stacked Brazil squad with Garrincha and co.

ZZ had a stacked France squad with Desailly, Thuram, Henry and co.
The mental gymnastics to hype up the Argentina squad all tournament only to shit on them after winning the cup is hilarious but expected from this fanbase. :lol:

Argentina were a top 2 favourite going into this World Cup with a humongous winning streak lasting years. Nothing similar to Maradona 86 in individual performance or quality of teammates overall. A quick look at Maradona's insane 1986 highlights is more than enough to establish that.

Andresito

Staff member
Temp, I understand. You're in India, starting to follow football late in childhood. Choosing some favourite players, the most popular and metrosexual one and some hipster choices like Kaka and Lewandowski. Later you realize you need a team, you choose Liverpool because they're also a little bit of a hipster choice. Your feelings are more towards players though, Messi is now in your crosshair because of the whole CR thing. Now your judgement is all clouded.

I see you discussing many players from many leagues and you want to seem knowledgable. I don't think you have watched prime Messi too much because those who have (neutrals included) loved to see him dominate, it just doesn't go hand in hand with how you describe other players you like and there's no reason to shit on him the way you do. If you were Madrid fan I'd partly understand it because of the rivalry. But none of the >4 Madrid fans care enough about Messi to do that, you for some reason do.

soul24rage

The mental gymnastics to hype up the Argentina squad all tournament only to shit on them after winning the cup is hilarious but expected from this fanbase. :lol:

Argentina were a top 2 favourite going into this World Cup with a humongous winning streak lasting years. Nothing similar to Maradona 86 in individual performance or quality of teammates overall. A quick look at Maradona's insane 1986 highlights is more than enough to establish that.
Even in this forum, Argentina were not the top 2 favorites going into the World Cup.

A lot of folks had either Brazil or France

soul24rage

Temp, I understand. You're in India, starting to follow football late in childhood. Choosing some favourite players, the most popular and metrosexual one and some hipster choices like Kaka and Lewandowski. Later you realize you need a team, you choose Liverpool because they're also a little bit of a hipster choice. Your feelings are more towards players though, Messi is now in your crosshair because of the whole CR thing. Now your judgement is all clouded.

I see you discussing many players from many leagues and you want to seem knowledgable. I don't think you have watched prime Messi too much because those who have (neutrals included) loved to see him dominate, it just doesn't go hand in hand with how you describe other players you like and there's no reason to shit on him the way you do. If you were Madrid fan I'd partly understand it because of the rivalry. But none of the >4 Madrid fans care enough about Messi to do that, you for some reason do.
I don't understand Temps at times.

He likes Gio Lo Celso and Dybala, who are the most similar to Messi in terms of playstyle out of all the Argentines, but somehow he doesn't like Messi. Even the majority of the players that Tempts like have Messi as their GOAT.

I think it's totally fine that Messi is not his favorite player, but to go this far to hating the player when he is not a RM or a Brazilian fan is very odd.

Temptation

Even in this forum, Argentina were not the top 2 favorites going into the World Cup.

A lot of folks had either Brazil or France
Pundits and bookies had the big 2 from South America as their favourites IIRC. This forum is hardly known for its Ball Knowledge.

Home of Barca Fans