Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

soul24rage

The goat yesterday was literally a scarecrow. He was just standing in the middle of the parc to distract Brazilians lol. I have never seen anything like it, even by messi walking standards.
It looks like he got injured from the beginning of the match and it was clear something was not right with his movement.

With a long rest incoming, hopefully his injury issues will be gone.

Horatio

You're welcome
The goat yesterday was literally a scarecrow. He was just standing in the middle of the parc to distract Brazilians lol. I have never seen anything like it, even by messi walking standards.
Wish I could have witnessed it. Game was too late for me. Get up early.

Rory

If he was injured he needs let someone else play. Not like Argentina have complete bums on the bench. Does this a bit too much, plays with this uncomfortable feeling and then has little/no impact. Meanwhile Di Maria sitting on the bench, Lautaro one of the most in form strikers in the world etc.

soul24rage

If he was injured he needs let someone else play. Not like Argentina have complete bums on the bench. Does this a bit too much, plays with this uncomfortable feeling and then has little/no impact. Meanwhile Di Maria sitting on the bench, Lautaro one of the most in form strikers in the world etc.
It is annoying, but I see the reason for keeping him on. Taking a player like Messi off early in the game will give opponents more confidence, especially to a rival like Brazil and the Arg. NT loses that leadership from him. Once the goal from Otamendi came in, Messi was subbed off.

It's a lose-lose situation but for this particular match itself, it was the right decision to keep him in imo.

ArtistCatalunya

I'm a Messi fan. But when a player is injured, he leaves his place to another one from the bench.
There is no exception to this rule, even if you are Messi or Lebron James or whatever.
That's better for the team and for the player himself. Playing injured is nonsense

Temptation

I'm a Messi fan. But when a player is injured, he leaves his place to another one from the bench.
There is no exception to this rule, even if you are Messi or Lebron James or whatever.
That's better for the team and for the player himself. Playing injured is nonsense
You can't bring them off against their will because they can come up with a magic moment anytime anywhere. Just 1 moment can be enough to decide Football matches.

Anyways, Messi doesn't really have any defensive duties so not much would change. Injuries will just reduce his quality on the ball but he can still get a goal or a final ball. It's a simple case of "Credit in the bank". Such special players have it.

Anything Messi does after winning the WC is bonus anyways. Even if he declines steeply now, he won't give a shit.

Temptation

As much as Football purists may hate it or disagree, Football is very much a moments sport.

Infact, probably more so than any other sport on the planet.

Like in Tennis, if you're turd all game, you'll never get to those clutch decisive tiebreak or set points in the first place so..... That's how it works, yep.

ArtistCatalunya

You can't bring them off against their will because they can come up with a magic moment anytime anywhere. Just 1 moment can be enough to decide Football matches.

Anyways, Messi doesn't really have any defensive duties so not much would change. Injuries will just reduce his quality on the ball but he can still get a goal or a final ball. It's a simple case of "Credit in the bank". Such special players have it.

Anything Messi does after winning the WC is bonus anyways. Even if he declines steeply now, he won't give a shit.

It's not about running all field or something. What is asked from a striker like Messi is just to be close to the Defensive Midfielder of the opponent, so he will have less time on the ball and less possibility to dictate the game. But when the opponent DM is completely free, 15 meters or more distance far from Messi, you will give the opponent more ease to play, which is not something you can afford when playing against a strong or equal team. They will dominate you easily.

Last edited:

Temptation

It's not about running all field or something. What is asked from a striker like Messi is just to be close to the Defensive Midfielder of the opponent, so he will have less time on the ball and less possibility to dictate the game. But when the opponent DM is completely free, 15 meters or more distance far from Messi, you will give the opponent more ease to play, which is not something you can afford when playing against a strong or equal team. They will dominate you.

Well summed up and I do agree with you. Totally.

But my point was explaining why a manager can't bring these players off against their will.

That's a manager's dilemma in these cases. Imagine the fan/media backlash if you take Messi off against his will and go on to lose a big big game.

Home of Barca Fans