Lionel Messi - v7

George_Costanza

If Messi really desperate to leave he should sort it with City not Barcelona. City has to pay around 100m +Garcia (could be acceptable for Barca). Messi could help City by accepting a salary cut with them.

JohnN

No they cant it would still be used if went to court.

The ball will be put in court of City and Barca will refer to 700m would be my guess.

It would be dismissed without a record. It's an I said he said situation.
Anyway, I feel they will reach an agreement to stay. No one wants the courts.

JamDav1982

It would be dismissed without a record. It's an I said he said situation.
Anyway, I feel they will reach an agreement to stay. No one wants the courts.

No it wouldnt as would then be one word against another and most likely multiple people involved.

Barca wont do that.

It is on City to make bids not Barca to provide a fee.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

So all this fucking drama to stay at the end. Where are our new young fast players ? We didnt sign any player. I have the feeling we have given all the energy for this Messi drama and have to wait another year, so another humilation until we get new signings.

Alik

Weren't at least 10 out of those goals from free kicks and penaldos.

No offense, but 20 goals from an open play in a weak La liga when the whole team is built around you and everyone are passing to you in every situation isn't THAT awesome stat anymore.

He is getting in less and less chances.
And his shooting was really off the whole 2020'.

Not so special doing it while breaking the assist record either?

So free kicks and assists don't count. Anyone can do those.

BruceWayne11

We should set a rule on this forum from now on.

The same as how it is stupid comparing new kids with Xavi since no one will reach that level, maybe we should stop using this comparison: in a system like Pep's he would do this or that...
Pep's Barca was one of the best teams ever.
Maybe we should compare things with "mortal" teams and systems.

So, the question shouldn't be: how would Messi play in Pep's Barca, but whether a current Messi can get into chances surrounded by "mortal" teammates and playing under "mortal" coaches in "mortal" systems.

Regarding your post how passes to him aren't chances, well, he is guilty also.
He is not moving off the ball at all, so of course that passes to him are not chances at all.
He is dropping deep and waiting for the ball at a CM position, of course that those passes are not "chances".

Yes, our board is bad, coaches were meh, players weren't the best, but Messi in the last few years is a big factor of our downfall, tactical mess, poor mental strength, Messipendencia etc.

Regarding Pep's Barca, that was just a reference to how he used to also get chances created for him, like Ronaldo at Madrid. At that time, Messi both created for himself, but could also rely on his teammates. The last few years there's been a problem with too little pace and creativity in midfield and attack. Someone like Dembele could've helped in attack, but he's been injured all the time. There's also very little attacking threat and movement from his teammates in general(slow, not enough tactical focus on it?), which makes Barca more predictable. A proper, perhaps world-class coach with a clear strategy and adding more creative/faster midfielders as well, would've done wonders. Just look at how Bayern overload the box for an example. How easy wouldn't it be for Messi to pick out passes when he has faster teammates and more movement? Also, it would add more threat when more players make runs, which gives Messi more room to also shoot himself.

Of course there are things Messi could've done as well. His mentality is quite weird from a competitive standpoint. Because, the basic level is: You give your all to the end of the game, no matter what. This is something he should be doing. Would it change the result? Perhaps, perhaps not, but at least hold your head high and give everything till the whistle blows. His walking is also a question mark; does he have problems that are unknown, is his stamina just bad etc? There are definetely question marks in regards to Messi, I agree with that.

However, I think by far the biggest factor has been the coaches, the tactics and the recruitment etc, which basically points to the fundamental problem coming from the administrative part of FC Barcelona, with Bartomeu at the helm. Coutinho and Griezmann are two examples of the dreadful recruitment. Both of them were bought with the knowledge that they would have to change their positions and roles on the field. Instead of just actually looking at what position your team needs and filling that necessity, they thought they could just buy good players and plug them in wherever needed. That's just basic stuff you shouldn't do. Also, there have been so many average coaches for a long while. Valverde had some results (in large part due to Messi as well), but he built a team that would always struggle in CL against fast-paced, pressing teams.

In regards to all the talk of Club de Amigos etc, that is not how Messi should be evaluated. His job is to perform on the field, not to be exptected to run the club or get blamed for his hypothetical influence on team choice. The fact that he wants to go to City points to the fact that he wants to win (especially the CL), and in that case none of his "amigos" will be coming with him anyways. There is probably some truth to him preferring some teammates, in particular Suarez, but he clearly sees and is frustrated by the team not being good enough.

All in all, in the last few years, I think Messi has carried Barca further than their level, so to speak. "Own Goal" was our 2nd highest scorer in the UCL the last 2-3 years, think that says it all.

Home of Barca Fans