Lionel Messi - v7

vegitot

The saddest part of this is that he lost eight years with limited managers (Tito Vilanova, Gerardo Martino, Luis Enrique and Valverde).

Meanwhile CR7 had manager like Mourinho, Ancelotti and Zidane.
tito and lucho were ok,not really elite but i think tito had too little time.
zidane isnt really elite coach but he knows how to motive his players

raskolnikov

Zidane has status and therefore respect. You would see the same if Xavi became coach here imo.
Lots of people expected messi to be in Argentina or at 25 goals a season mode playing 60 minutes at 32 back in 2014/15.
Luckily he kept it up.

KingLeo10

Just as we're now surprised he's going strong at 32 after many had written him off to a slow and sure decline as early as 2013-14, he will surprise us and dominate for us till he's 37.

Another 4.5 more years, lads. We MOVE.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He'll decide when he no longer wants to be out there since he will still be able to influence a match for several years yet. Motivation, family & perhaps injuries or other interests may factor into it

George_Costanza

Zidane has status and therefore respect. You would see the same if Xavi became coach here imo.
Lots of people expected messi to be in Argentina or at 25 goals a season mode playing 60 minutes at 32 back in 2014/15.
Luckily he kept it up.

He kept it up because he had to. The team including the coaches we had are all disappointing. If Messi has an off day then we are 95% losing (Roma & Liverpool), while if CR7 had an off day, Modric, Benzema, Ramos, etc, will step up to save the day.

Zidane82

Just as we're now surprised he's going strong at 32 after many had written him off to a slow and sure decline as early as 2013-14, he will surprise us and dominate for us till he's 37.

Another 4.5 more years, lads. We MOVE.

Hasn’t he recently said he’s got TWO more years ??

The worry is Cronaldo will prob keep going into his early 40’s just to boost his tally UNLESS he loses his hair of course ..

gregorrin10

Luckily he kept it up.

If or should I say when Xavi gets here, he first needs to have a board, who's behind him 100%, and that's possible only if Font wins, and secondly, pretty much all of our seniors bar Messi gone. My dream is to see Messi playing until he's like 38 (but I honestly don't see him sticking around that long, maybe the best we can hope for is 35-36) with Xavi as manager and Font as president, Messi showed me enough unselfishness to think he would be ready to be here even after he's not a permanent starter anymore, but his lack of running is hurting the team already, so I'd expect it to get even worse as he ages, and Xavi will want to build his team around like Pep did, hard working players with superior technical skill. But Messi can still be our super-sub most games, or even a starting attacking CM sometimes, with less defensive responsibilities with both of our wingers being 'Pedro type' that can run their lungs out and cover for Messi in terms of running, while he'd still bring so much more with his pinpoint passing and free kick goals. With the leaders of our team being Ter Stegen, Arthur, De Jong, possibly another high profile signing or two (De Ligt would be dreamy, as he's got the leadership trait too), with home grown players like Puig and Fati being regulars in the team, and maybe a couple more new home grown additions, who Xavi takes from the youth teams, I'm thinking maybe someone like Moriba could fit the bill, so Xavi would pull him and maybe someone else from the B team or even Juvenil A (age isn't really an issue if the manager believes in him and the player has the necessary skill and attitude to make it) and turn them into world beaters like Pep did with Busquets and Pedro, who he also pulled not even from the B team but as I remember, Busquets was playing for Juvenil A till that point when Pep promoted him straight to the first team.

And my dream is for us to start 'a new success story with Xavi (or someone like Ten Hag at least) in 2021 or 2022 and bring Messi another couple of CLs in the next 3-4 years so he could possibly beat PR7 there too, and possibly another Ballon'd Or, if he doesn't take one more before 2021. I would be content with Messi winning 7 of them, even if PR7 gets to 6, as long as he stays behind. As for Messi, I know 10 is out of reach at this point, but if Messi gets to PR7's beloved number, that would be kinda poetic too and I'd take it, with a couple more CLs or dare I say three (maybe one before 2021, although extremely unlikely), which would make his CL titles also 7.

serghei

Messi will play for as long as he's an indisputable starter.

I hope he will retire when he will lose the motivation to continue. Most important thing is to love football and be dedicated, when that is lost for him he should hang the boots. 35 is a great number for him to retire. 3 more seasons after this one.

El Gato

Villarato!
I hope he will retire when he will lose the motivation to continue. Most important thing is to love football and be dedicated, when that is lost for him he should hang the boots. 35 is a great number for him to retire. 3 more seasons after this one.

He will play as long as he has something to prove i.e. that Barcelona under his captaincy can win the CL. Until it gets ridiculous for him on health terms that is.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Yeah. The 2022/23 season will be his last one I think.

Would be nice if he announces his intention to retire before the season. I think he would get a standing ovation at every stadium he plays in, maybe even the Bernabeu given he'd be retiring.

Kobe-esque.

JerseyAddict

Yeah. The 2022/23 season will be his last one I think.

Would be nice if he announces his intention to retire before the season. I think he would get a standing ovation at every stadium he plays in, maybe even the Bernabeu given he'd be retiring.

Kobe-esque.

That would be something :)

CatalinR10

You guys are making me sad. Let's not talk about retirement yet.

But we have been talking about his retirement for years dawg , specifically when he has a bad game , so that's like 2-3 times a year ?

You should have been used to it already cuuuhhh.

Home of Barca Fans