Lionel Messi - v7

Newcomer

He will get 40mio if he leaves the club or retire? What is that for a silly contract ?

They can't pay his 100 millions a year salary.

So, Messi agrees to get his two years worth of work over 5 years : 40 millions a year.

Meanwhile, after the two years of work he will provide to Bar?a, he will be free to go to Inter Miami, Argentina club or retire and still be paid as the contract commands.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bad deal indeed, as we previously discussed. We shouldn't be paying him or anybody beyond his tenure here as a player (ambassadorships and other capacities are completely different).

gnrfan

Banned
Bad deal indeed, as we previously discussed. We shouldn't be paying him or anybody beyond his tenure here as a player (ambassadorships and other capacities are completely different).

Wouldn't it be easier to just bite the bullet for 2 years and have griezmann play in Messi's role? It's not like we're dealing w a 25 year old messi; he will be leaving in 2 years...this just seems like absurd politics.

Messigician

Too many morons on here.

We are not paying Messi after he leaves we are paying him what he's owed for the 2 or so years he stays over several years to spread out the cost.

Not hard to understand

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Too many morons on here.

We are not paying Messi after he leaves we are paying him what he's owed for the 2 or so years he stays over several years to spread out the cost.

Not hard to understand

I've not read the specifics, but what I read seemed to suggest this.

Structuring the payment over five years due to the club having to cut down costs drastically. Even after Messi's 50% paycut they need to cut down 200m in wages.

Bar?a y Messi se van a poner de acuerdo y la renovaci?n ser? para los 2 pr?ximos a?os. El argentino firmar? dos temporadas y cobrar? en cinco a?os lo que tendr?a que ganar en dos para facilitar al club el pago

Last edited:

Givenchy

Wouldn't it be easier to just bite the bullet for 2 years and have griezmann play in Messi's role? It's not like we're dealing w a 25 year old messi; he will be leaving in 2 years...this just seems like absurd politics.

Messi fanatics will jump on you but I totally agree. "LOL Griezmann? we won't even make top 4 without Messi" is the usual reply; as if La liga is the PL with world class managers and talent. Madrid will be weaker next season also without Ramos and possibly Varane

Last summer was the time to leave, few seasons at City and then retire into the sunset but now we will have to watch a shitshow unfold. Probably cuts in other areas to siphon more wages to Messi. You'd think Barca didn't exist until Messi came along

obviously I love Messi and everything he achieved here but this is just prolonging any rebuild. If we had a decent squad + manager that might sneak another CL that would be different but this is a pitiful end to Leo's career

serghei

I have accepted that no matter who is president it is impossible to handle this well. Once you started to pay him those absurd figures it's very hard to get out of that hole you've dig out for yourself.

Whatever pay cut he'll take, his salary would still be astronomical for these times the club is going through.

The club is getting a very low return at this stage from Messi compared with the sums being talked about. It's all romance and nostalgia-based.

Porque

The main thing is that we reduce his salary, be it being paid over 2 years or 100 years.

But what we absolutely can not do is pay his existing salary but spread that over 5 instead of 2 years. Because that deal was signed in 2017 when Messi was turning 30. Clearly Messi is not the same player nor as good of a player at 34, let alone next year at 35.

And thus not deserving of the same pay. I'd even go as far to speculate that he is not even the same income generator for Barcelona as 4 years ago. Certainly not after Covid.

DonAK

The main thing is that we reduce his salary, be it being paid over 2 years or 100 years.

But what we absolutely can not do is pay his existing salary but spread that over 5 instead of 2 years. Because that deal was signed in 2017 when Messi was turning 30. Clearly Messi is not the same player nor as good of a player at 34, let alone next year at 35.

And thus not deserving of the same pay. I'd even go as far to speculate that he is not even the same income generator for Barcelona as 4 years ago. Certainly not after Covid.

Agree with this and a fair take.

It's also why we need to go after a player like Haaland or someone like that whenever we can. We need an income generator, a new superstar now that Messi is....well old.

That being said, old Messi is still by far the best player in the team and without him and replacing him adequately with Ronald Koeman as our manager....that's when top 4 starts getting murky.

Jadentheman

Messi fanatics will jump on you but I totally agree. "LOL Griezmann? we won't even make top 4 without Messi" is the usual reply; as if La liga is the PL with world class managers and talent. Madrid will be weaker next season also without Ramos and possibly Varane

Last summer was the time to leave, few seasons at City and then retire into the sunset but now we will have to watch a shitshow unfold. Probably cuts in other areas to siphon more wages to Messi. You'd think Barca didn't exist until Messi came along

obviously I love Messi and everything he achieved here but this is just prolonging any rebuild. If we had a decent squad + manager that might sneak another CL that would be different but this is a pitiful end to Leo's career

Madrid is rebuilding. Barca is still relying on and maitaning a team around a 34 year old Messi. This more a pure revenue play. Barca can't have Messi leaving just yet. It won't be good for their finances. The club still needs time(and to save money) to find the next superstar to be the face of the team.

FinBarcelonafan

Madrid is rebuilding. Barca is still relying on and maitaning a team around a 34 year old Messi. This more a pure revenue play. Barca can't have Messi leaving just yet. It won't be good for their finances. The club still needs time(and to save money) to find the next superstar to be the face of the team.

Hopefully Ansu comes back strong and makes it.

Rassvet

well said, especially the last part

DonAK

Barca will never go into the full rebuild people think they should.

Doesn't matter if Messi stays or not. The money simply isn't there. No one want a full rebuild. Not players like Frenkie, Ansu. You really think they will stick around for a full rebuild lasting 2-3 years where we'll suck ass? Not Laporta because his job hinges on Barca being good and not bad which a full rebuild means. Not the fans no matter what some of the guys in this forum say or claim because once the team starts losing or performing poorly the very same people go batshit crazy and lose their shit.

The goal is to remain competitive or become more competitive by replacing parts of the team from year to year. If you're lucky you can become a CL contender within a year or two if you hit on all your sales and incoming transfers.

If not then....well it'll just take more time.

I don't understand what some people actually expect or think a rebuild means? It's like they think they're playing FIFA Career Mode where you can just sell a bunch of players and start over again if shit gets bad.

It literally doesn't work like that.

Now if we can sign a CB and replace Pique that way, and also sell Alba and replace him with a new player that's as good or marginally worse, but doesn't lose his shit in big games....you've already achieved a lot when it comes to your rebuild and potentially being much better.

Now whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but we're not even in july yet.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans