Lionel Messi - v7

xxxxxx

You say let Messi go and bring in new players (spend money) - We already spent a lot of money (coutino, Dembele, griezman, boateng, Andre Gomez(man did he sucked)), the only good buys were Umtiti (for like 2 seasons), Neymar, Arthur, Suarez, and De Young. Buying new players usually doesn't work (they usuallly suck) and then we count the days for their contract to end - nobody wants them. None of them came in for free (somewhere around 700 million), plus their salaries.
And you want Messi to sign for FREE.
Nobody comes to Barca for Free
You say Rosell/Bartomeu brought in all that money - Nope, Messi brought all that Money. Barcelona grew globaly with Messi leading the way. Messi is the one responsible for all those league and champions titles, all the full stadiums when Barcelona goes on tour. Barcelona televised games around the world generates money for the club.

Sure we can have a team with good young players and finish top 5 (maybe), but not first. We will be missing the 1-2 players to get us to the top. As of now Messi is our best player by a lot and he alone wins us at least 10 games by himself (in other words play a replacement and we will win 10 games less), yes occasionally we will win some games but in the long run.
Do you think Real Madrid will just wait for us to get good again?

Unfortunately, we have sign players for free. We have 700m euros worth of short-term debt we have to pay off. Yes, 700m euros has to paid back pretty quickly. We have to pay 266m by June and then another 120m on top of that by the end of the year. We have no other options but to be sensible in the market, so no big signings will be happening until we sort our short-term debt. We can release/sell/loan players, but most likely those funds will go towards the debt or towards bringing players in for free or on loan transfers.

Yes, Messi is partly to thank for generated revenue, but he isn't the only reason. Barcelona was a big club before Messi and they'll be a big club after Messi. I guarantee you that our revenue continues to rise even after Messi retires. He isn't the only reason why we generated 1 billion euros of revenue over the years. People stating that he's generated as much as he does are being misled. There is no way he generates 30% of our revenue a year. It's literally impossible. Also, he got paid over 500m euros in the past 4 years. He's about to get 33m euros in the summer from his loyalty fee. He may have generated a lot of revenue, but he's also taken a lot back from the club. The very notion that people think Messi is bigger than the club and that we won't survive is very funny. As I said, we've had big players before.... and I've heard the same thing over and over again. That when certain players leave... that club will decline and we won't be challenges again. We may not find another Messi, but we'll eventually sign big players in the future and we'll be more than okay. I just think by letting Messi go last year or this year, we can start completely fresh. We can use his signing-on fee, his wages and bonuses towards the debt and try to buy other youngsters for the future. If Laporta gives Messi a 4-year deal where he's on more than Griezmann a week, and if he gives him a big signing-on fee, and if he gives him his 33m loyalty bonus..... whilst the club is in this amount of debt, he's basically confirming that Messi is bigger than the club. I will honestly lose respect for Laporta if he does that.

Messi is our best player, but he's also 34. He won't keep on putting in those consistently top performances every game. If anything, he'll probably play a little worse next season due to his age. There is also a decent chance he might get injured next season if he plays too many minutes in too many games. Yeah, I'm sure he'll still bang in the goals and help with the assists, but he can't carry this Barcelona team to a Champions League, especially when we have no money. If he stays, he's pretty accepting he's happy with not winning anymore Champions League titles. We may do okay in the league, but let's be honest here.... La Liga hasn't been that great of a league for a while.

Real Madrid is not in a good position themselves. Their squad isn't the greatest and they also have to free up some wages. They may not be in as much debt as us, but they're still in debt. They can't afford to make those types of signings at the moment. So, we actually won't be that far behind them.

I honestly believe we can do okay next season without Messi, especially if we use his funds correctly on the right players. We could potentially get 2 or 3 more players in if we do release Messi. That adds more depth and makes our squad potentially stronger.

Last edited:

Messigician

It's done Tier 0 source close to Messi's entourage

.@sagonzalezbueno: "Messi stays. Don't buy any more stories."

Wow Laporta effect

Sorin

Getting rid of Griezmann and giving Messi a wage similar to his wouldn't be the end of the world. A 2 year contract would be OK imo.

Coupled with selling and loaning the dead wood, it will be a step in the right direction to improving our finances.

malvolio

If we need to sell messi to get Haaland, we should do it. A man must do what a man must do.

we ain't selling jack shit. that boat sailed last summer.

we either renew him or not. don't get all this haaland talk either, as he ain't a similar type of player and there are a couple of question marks around him.

jairzinho

Messi is out of contract in the summer, there's no selling Messi. It's just letting him go, which would also be ok, but we still wouldn't have the money to sign Haland.

Halaand isn't coming i'm afraid. Most people don't realize how close we are to bankruptcy. We'll probably go for a cheaper option like Darwin Nunez or someone similiar. Also, Messi must take a paycut.

xxxxxx

Laporta will most certainly not offer Messi crazy wages that the club cannot pay.

I don't think Messi would want those kind of wages either if it meant not being able to reinforce the team.

If he offers a 34-year-old 900k a week, plus a big signing-on fee.... plus a 33m loyalty fee, I'd be extremely disappointed. Not to mention, it'll make him a hypocrite by saying he's still got to reduce the wages for the team but gives Messi big wages.

Home of Barca Fans