Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

Messi has been pretty average all 2020 to be honest about it but the man is 33 years old and plays twice a week without fail. Unfortunately squad planning with an incompetent imbecile in charge for the last 6 years means there is really no one capable to permanently take the burden of the responsibility and let Messi be a top class deputy at 33, that can afford to miss games and be rested ready for the big ones.

Because in reality, Barca should be steered by players reaching or in their prime, whilst letting Messi enjoy his football in a successful team not having to be the key to unlock everything. Even prime Messi had a world class supporting cast around him but now when he should be playing less, he's relied on more.

Koeman will be no different to other managers about resting him either, so I can quite easily see Messi playing every fixture bar the early Copa del Rey's.

This man gets it. Spot on!

JerseyAddict

Messi has been pretty average all 2020 to be honest about it but the man is 33 years old and plays twice a week without fail. Unfortunately squad planning with an incompetent imbecile in charge for the last 6 years means there is really no one capable to permanently take the burden of the responsibility and let Messi be a top class deputy at 33, that can afford to miss games and be rested ready for the big ones.

Because in reality, Barca should be steered by players reaching or in their prime, whilst letting Messi enjoy his football in a successful team not having to be the key to unlock everything. Even prime Messi had a world class supporting cast around him but now when he should be playing less, he's relied on more.

Koeman will be no different to other managers about resting him either, so I can quite easily see Messi playing every fixture bar the early Copa del Rey's.

+1. Nice post.

serghei

The reason why Messi is not rested is not that the team can't do well without him. That's just not true. You can't really say he isn't rested against some cannon fodder in La Liga because we would lose the match without him.

He is not rested because he wants to play all games, and nobody dares to do something to upset him.

Blackened

He has a small-mans syndrome. All the money in the world, all the trophies cant make up for the fact that he still needs a chair to get more Pepsi out of the fridge.

Yannik

2) Setien says it was difficult to handle Messi, Koeman says the opposite.

I mean if Messi was indeed difficult to manage, then Koeman would be smart to reply exactly that to stay the fuck out of Barca off/on pitch politics and not kick off a drama.
Setien also speaks much more freely about this topic, since he doesn't have to fear for his job anymore, which does however gives him some crediility points.

Messi983

I mean if Messi was indeed difficult to manage, then Koeman would be smart to reply exactly that to stay the fuck out of Barca off/on pitch politics and not kick off a drama.
Setien also speaks much more freely about this topic, since he doesn't have to fear for his job anymore, which does however gives him some crediility points.

Well, there is a reason why one of them is a former coach.

What Koeman said was absolutely the right thing though. And Setien would say the same if he'd still be here. No coach in his right mind will admit his star player is difficult to handle (even if that's true from his standpoint) while he still has to work with him every day. It would only make his job harder.

I'd say Messi is relatively easy to manage as long as you let him do what he wants. And any coach who wants to stay for more than a few months will do that eventually. He has too much power and it's way too late to try and change him now.

Birdy

ok, you also deserve a point-by-point reply.
I was talking about my opinion because there is no objective measure relating to the commitment of a player (and this statement is objective)
Having said that I do not consider myself a fanboy but an observer absolutely without prejudice, I want to dismantle your illogical arguments and explain to you what the common ground of discussion is.
1) for how football works, it is the manager's responsibility to decide who plays and how much. Not the player himself.
Even if a player has the power to impose himself, the responsibility is of whoever gives him the power.
That Messi was never replaced, even before Koeman, proves nothing. Evidently according to his coaches he deserved to always play. If not, it is always their fault.

2) Setien says it was difficult to handle Messi, Koeman says the opposite. Who cares about the words? The facts on the ground matter.
Everything that is "said" off the pitch for me has nothing to do with the technical and tactical analysis of football. In this sense It is, in fact, gossip.

3) We all agree that this is the player's worst season so far.
I deduce that it is not a strange thing (it is normal to have ups and downs in football, regardless of age-related decline) and that this is not the main problem of Barcelona now.
You think Messi is the major cause of Barcelona problems.
Different points of view: this does not mean that your opinion is more valuable than mine. Period

See what's the problem?
If you really believe what you write in 1) you miss a lot about how football works.
That is the case only in clubs where the manager is granted authority to make those decisions and is respected by the club hierarchy.
Need to mention that this did not happen under Bartomeu any moment?

2) People replied above.
You can understand yourself why an employed coach would not talk against Messi.
EV is a special case of course.
Read the reports (I have posted some of them) about how he was conducting sessions. He did not have to 'manage' anyone, because he was doing whatever the players wanted.

3) It's not a phase of up and down. It's permanent decline.
All the previous many many years we all saw that Messi had some flaws and some virtues.
Year after year his virtues are diminishing and his flaws are persisting or augmenting, with the final outcome what we see this fall.
This is not an 'up and down'. This is a permanent trend.

The reason why Messi is not rested is not that the team can't do well without him. That's just not true. You can't really say he isn't rested against some cannon fodder in La Liga because we would lose the match without him.

He is not rested because he wants to play all games, and nobody dares to do something to upset him.

Exactly, and not only against common LaLiga fodder.
As I said before, when Messi was injured for some time back in November-December 2018,
even under EV, even with dead-weight Suarez starting, the team won classico 5-1, won against Inter CL, and played much better in terms of cohesion and organization, with everyone having a position on pitch, even Coutinho and Dembele played better.

But if you are a deluded Messi fanboy who lives in denial, you refuse to acknowledge that.

serghei

I'd say Messi is relatively easy to manage as long as you let him do what he wants. And any coach who wants to stay for more than a few months will do that eventually. He has too much power and it's way too late to try and change him now.

This is more like Messi managing the manager.

Mitchell1978

Everyone has a responsibility towards the club and needs to do his part.

They forced him to stay and now they want him to lower his salary... can you talk about responsability when the club doesn't or can't respect contracts....

If Barca can no longer afford his wages they should let him go or sell other players.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
They forced him to stay and now they want him to lower his salary... can you talk about responsability when the club doesn't or can't respect contracts....

If Barca can no longer afford his wages they should let him go or sell other players.

This pretty much.
The club (Barto) totally fucked him over on a technicality, It was stupid to give him such an open clause in the first place, should of been limited to clubs outside of Europe (yet again barto). If they had negotiated with city he could of left benefiting all parties (especially us) so why should he have to look out for the club when he believes the club have fucked him and his best friend over?

CatalinR10

Let's hope The GOAT , The Best Fifa Football Player , Ballon D'or and Laureus award scores against Betis.

@Pedro

@KingLeo10

@Vilarrubi

@Hardy

@Devils

@Malvolio

Home of Barca Fans