Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

Andresito

Staff member

The 'hit the gym' under flick looked like that
Sure mate it can't be programmed?
That was during covid no? Understandable they hit the gym more often when there's nothing else to do. Don't think it has anything to do with Flick. If a player wants to build more muscle he can, unless of course the coaching staff considers it to be a hindrance in agility, pace etc.

Loki

That was during covid no? Understandable they hit the gym more often when there's nothing else to do. Don't think it has anything to do with Flick. If a player wants to build more muscle he can, unless of course the coaching staff considers it to be a hindrance in agility, pace etc.
This + it looks like photoshop. Especially Goretzka. That said, physical strength isn't the holy grail to success. We never had that going for us, even in the greatest period of our club. Also by that logic, Adama Traore should have been the best footballer on earth.

Messigician

I'd be happy to have Tuchel too but mid season we'd have a shitstrorm if things aren't going smoothly.
There are no guarantees that Flick will succeed but if the signs aren't good he'll be disposed off asap.
We don’t have the money to make mistakes

Porque

He's been doing a fair been of that lately, making some logical leaps to criticize Xavi.

I don't know how us losing 3 games that if you watch them are completely unrelated, comes back to Xavi, especially since we've been losing from winning positions in K.O games for 5+ years now.

Being critical of xavi is fair, their is enough to be critical of, no need to connect unrelated dots.

You know, I didn't think much at the time but I was reflecting on that first Europa League campaign. If you recall he was talking about how Barcelona should be in the Champions League and that it is a bit of an embarrassment to be in the Europa League and that it was not a priority.

In hindsight he was trying to remove any expectation to win it having seen his full tenure. Against Man U there were the comments about getting the hardest draw and hinting it was fixed.

Anyways, it isn't really a leap but a trend. I'm not saying we just lost from winning positions. But that 3 of the 4 double legged exits were when we got the result away and had it toppled at home. That needs reflection as it shouldn't be happening.

No one begrudges Pep for our CL exits because they all come from the away legs.

Porque

Complete bullshit. Last season the team ranked no1 in all expected stats in the league, most expected goals, fewest expected goals against, most expected points. So tell me exactly how did a team that should've had the best attack, best defense and most points not win the league by merit?

xg.png

Mallorca [0.93] 0-1 [0.64] Barcelona
Barcelona [1.98] 1-0 [1.35] Celta
Valencia [0.19] 0-1 [2.33] Barcelona
Atleti [1.94] 0-1 [1.24] Barcelona
Barcelona [0.71] 1-0 [1.25] Getafe
Girona [0.89] 0-1 [0.98] Barcelona
Villarreal [1.05] 0-1 [1.38] Barcelona
Almeria [0.83] 0-1 [1.16] Barcelona
Barcelona [2.09] 1-0 [0.63] Valencia
Bilbao [1.14] 0-1 [0.72] Barcelona
Barcelona [2.13] 1-0 [0.71] Atleti
Barcelona [2.4] 1-0 [0.36] Osasuna

jamrock

I feel more comfortable with Xavi going up against MVB lol, than flick for some reason.

Xavi has competed well against teams with those players and only losing on the details.

I think flick will come with this super high line like Xavi tried in the super copa and we'll get cooked every single time.

Hope I'm wrong though, if flick is indeed our new manage.

Andresito

Staff member
This is starting to feel like Flick was our only option apart from Xavi. Low salary, short commitment is not something that's very enticing for coaches. Think most would want at least a 2 year contract especially with how we might not sign anyone this summer and that it is more of a 'project' than just come, plug and play for a season and get tossed on the street.

It's also telling how much the management trusts Flick at this point. They know it's a huge gamble and for that they are correct to offer a short contract I guess. But it's also alarming and I hope they are prepared to look for a new coach within a year.

Porque

This is starting to feel like Flick was our only option apart from Xavi. Low salary, short commitment is not something that's very enticing for coaches. Think most would want at least a 2 year contract especially with how we might not sign anyone this summer and that it is more of a 'project' than just come, plug and play for a season and get tossed on the street.

It's also telling how much the management trusts Flick at this point. They know it's a huge gamble and for that they are correct to offer a short contract I guess. But it's also alarming and I hope they are prepared to look for a new coach within a year.

Could be read alot of ways. Flick might really want the job and is confident to be extended.

Low liability for club with elections in 2026.

Overall it's a win-win. Doesn't close the Klopp door either potentially.

There's alot that has gone on behind the scenes. One thing we know is that for 6 months Flick was been studying the team and language, so he is coming prepared atleast.

If we gives Deco and the SD the freedom to recruit and the open mindedness to accept and integrate, then that is already a big win to start with.

You could sense the Xavi/Deco tension from the start.

jamrock

Could be read alot of ways. Flick might really want the job and is confident to be extended.

Low liability for club with elections in 2026.

Overall it's a win-win. Doesn't close the Klopp door either potentially.

There's alot that has gone on behind the scenes. One thing we know is that for 6 months Flick was been studying the team and language, so he is coming prepared atleast.

If we gives Deco and the SD the freedom to recruit and the open mindedness to accept and integrate, then that is already a big win to start with.

You could sense the Xavi/Deco tension from the start.

True, the profile of players deco wants compared to Xavi is totally different.

Deco wants athleticism over technical abilities, Xavi is the complete opposite.

Home of Barca Fans