La Liga | Round 23: FC Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 4-2

JamDav1982

Here is some tweaks Xavi needs to his system when all fit in the world according to Jammy. Move away from the sitting full backs and high/wide wingers now have more options...

Alba cant defend and is poor in build up... get him further up park and in LW area not these LB/DM areas.

Auba is not a winger but a forward that comes from left... again get Alba wide and Auba inside of him closer to the striker.

FDJ is not an AM... dont expect him to play all that well if asked to take balls in between lines of midfield and defence of opposition and get into box to support striker.... give more of that that role to Auba from left and give FDJ the role of box to box while as much as can supporting Busi and Alba.

Alves cant run but is decent on ball and can still read game fairly well for tackling.. on his side need a touchline winger on front of him.. Dembele or Traore to take width and be allowed to stay high and wide... Pedri needs to try and link that wide player and CF.

The CF should be Torres for moment as not a touchline winger from the right and never really played from left as much as can remember.

serghei

Here is some tweaks Xavi needs to his system when all fit in the world according to Jammy. Move away from the sitting full backs and high/wide wingers now have more options...

Alba cant defend and is poor in build up... get him further up park and in LW area not these LB/DM areas.

Auba is not a winger but a forward that comes from left... again get Alba wide and Auba inside of him closer to the striker.

FDJ is not an AM... dont expect him to play all that well if asked to take balls in between lines of midfield and defence of opposition and get into box to support striker.... give more of that that role to Auba from left and give FDJ the role of box to box while as much as can supporting Busi and Alba.

Alves cant run but is decent on ball and can still read game fairly well for tackling.. on his side need a touchline winger on front of him.. Dembele or Traore to take width and be allowed to stay high and wide... Pedri needs to try and link that wide player and CF.

The CF should be Torres for moment as not a touchline winger from the right and never really played from left as much as can remember.

So, you would rather bench Gavi and continue to play Busi at DM?

De Jong DM (albeit a different kind with some other skills and a bit weaker distribution), Gavi and Pedri on each side, Gavi on the side that requires more defensive input. Other than that, I agree with Adama and Auba wide with Torres False 9.

Auba - Torres - Adama/Dembele
Pedri - De Jong - Gavi
Alba - Pique - Araujo - Alves
Stegen.

This is the team.

Last edited:

JohnN

So, you would rather bench Gavi and continue to play Busi at DM?

De Jong DM (albeit a different kind with some other skills and a bit weaker distribution), Gavi and Pedri on each side, Gavi on the side that requires more defensive input. Other than that, I agree with Adama and Auba wide with Torres False 9.

Auba - Torres - Adama/Dembele
Pedri - De Jong - Gavi
Alba - Pique - Araujo - Alves
Stegen.

This is the team.

Can we get alba out so I don't have to look away every time he touches the ball? Is balde not ready?

mc_lovin

Last game against Atletico was when I lost any trust I had left in Koeman (not much to begin with). What an abomination that one was. Xavi can't do worse. First time in ages we have an actual front line + depth on the bench. Incredible. Don't think Adama or Auba are ready to start though. Especially the latter.

Can we get alba out so I don't have to look away every time he touches the ball? Is balde not ready?

He's injured and nowhere near ready anyway. Alba all the way.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Auba is a pure 9. He was only played from the left during Arteta's era because...his tactics are weird. Auba doesn't offer anything other than pure poaching, off the ball runs, and finishing. He's not a left sided forward.

Neeraj

Auba hasn't played in a while, would be very surprised if he starts such an important game out of the blue? I'd go with Torres, Adama and maybe Luuk, with Torres on LW. Only because I don't expect Dembele to start this. If dembele plays, fairly straight forward Dembele for LDJ with Torres as 9.

Gavi De Jong Pedri would be a solid midfield. I'm not sure what needs to happen for Xavi to finally let Busquets go.

FinBarcelonafan

Auba is a pure 9. He was only played from the left during Arteta's era because...his tactics are weird. Auba doesn't offer anything other than pure poaching, off the ball runs, and finishing. He's not a left sided forward.

Auba isn't ready to start. Maybe sub in max. If that.

Andresito

Staff member
If Busi is to be benched it's not in a game vs Atleti. As much as we want him benched Xavi won't make any surprises today.

JamDav1982

Nah All Arsenal coaches used him on left at times not just Arteta and he scored a lot of goals from there.

JamDav1982

Simeone be targeting same areas as last time and even more so this game with Alves.

Will sit deep and use of his forwards to try drop deep when they break confusing CBs and Busi as who should pick them up, quick pass wide to try and exploit space left by Alaba or legs of Alves and the ball on early to a couple men making late runs into box.

Did it as much as they could last game and Pique, Busi and Araujo had no idea how to defend the movement ending up arguing among themselves.

Andresito

Staff member
As expected. The "safe" lineup

FK6ylJhXEAU_doC

Home of Barca Fans