Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sevilla

• Other

• Total voters

El Gato

Villarato!
I mean, they only had what, 3 good seasons with that team? Impressive they were doing it against peak Real and Barca but it was still quite short-lived

Messi983

I'd say it's much more than just had 3 good seasons.

We might not like the way he did it but there should be no questioning of Cholo's results.

There will be a Before and After Simeone in Atletico's history, he changed that club from a midtable obscurity to a legit contender not only in Spain but also Europe.

They've finished top 3 in all but one (they were 4th in 19/20) of the last 11 full seasons under Simeone. And when he took over in December 2011 they were 10th but he almost managed to get them to CL qualification spots (they've finished 5th only 2 points behind Malaga) while also won the EL.

Before Cholo they've finished 4th only once (2009/10) in 9 seasons after they've returned to La Liga in 2002. In that period they were 10th twice and 11th so it's not like they were even consistently competing for Europe.

Surely some of their results were also a consequence of other big clubs (mainly Valencia) mostly struggling over the last decade but other clubs who had success (also in Europe) over that time have emerged like Sevilla or Villarreal.

So they were consistently 3rd best Spanish team over the last decade and even took titles away from a good Barca team (although it happened in a transition post-Pep and pre-MSN era) and a Madrid side that was dominating Europe for fun.

El Gato

Villarato!
I dont think they were the same side the moment Gabi left in 2018 and even that year they took EL with a very favourable bracket.
Maybe 3 is a push, that 12/13 was good too, but not amazing and mostly held together by Falcao

That there will be a before and after Simeone is not in doubt. But I wouldnt put much stock in Atletico outside that 2012-17 period

ajnotkeith

Espanyol are down, partly due to a objectively incorrect decision to allow Griezmann's goal, which strangely the committee doesnt seem to have much interest in overturning.

But overturned a decision to send off Vinicius which was accurate anyway.

soul24rage

FxPLb-SWIAA-fGM

Messi983

Top 6 decided. Sociedad qualified for CL today, Villarreal and Betis are going to EL.

5 teams are within 1 point to compete for 7th place (Conference League).

And then there are 6 teams still in the relegation battle.

FxPN5XEWYAEd81C

Mallorca is the only team from 7th-18th spot that doesn't play for anything last round if I'm not mistaken.

Messi983

I hope Girona makes the UCL spot

Me too but OTOH I'm also affraid they don't have squad depth and experience to play in Europe and could struggle a lot in La Liga next season if they qualify for Europe. Yes, it's Conference league but there are still some good teams there and they will surely want to do well if given a chance which probably won't come again soon.

But tbh the same could be said for any team still competing for 7th position besides Sevilla (who will hopefully win the EL final on Wednesday and qualify for CL anyway; hopefully then they won't also finish 7th on the table so La Liga will have 8 teams in Europe) and maybe Bilbao. Osasuna have also never played in Europe and Rayo only did once more than 20 years ago so would be happy for either of those teams as well but would have same concerns I have with Girona.

Anyway, I'll be happy with whichever team qualify for UECL and will support them like I do with all La Liga teams except Madrid obviously and Espanyol in those rare moments they play in Europe (luckily they don't have don Ernesto anymore to bring them to Uefa Cup final :) ).

I was even supporting Getafe, especially in their 2007-08 UEFA Cup run under Laudrup when they've made it to quarter-finals and really pushed Bayern there despite playing a man down for almost a whole game and got up 3-1 in ET at home before Luca Toni's two late goals eliminated them for stupid away goals rule.

Home of Barca Fans