La Liga 2019/20

Who will win La Liga?

• Total voters

JohnN

its an indicator of the quality of chances a team generates, Messi's goal against Alaves is not an expected goal at all for example, it would probably rate something like a 0,1

a penalty rates around 0,75 because thats the average conversion rate

Suarez' backheel must have been something 0.01 I guess.. :p

Centauri B

Messi goal against Alaves is supposed to be 3% according to this source, but I would say is even less than that, judging by the fact that he was on the run and surrounded by several players.

https://understat.com/match/12193

https://understat.com/match/12173

Suarez goal was 11% but again I disagree. Maybe they are basing too much on the distance/position from where a shot at goal is attempted, but you have to consider other parameters such as defenders/movement at that particular moment. I would say that Suarez goal vs Mallorca was less than 1% xG

Havesaks

Crazy how much we still lack in over all trophies. But at least we aren't anymore know as the "always second in Spain" club

KingLeo10

Crazy how much we still lack in over all trophies. But at least we aren't anymore know as the "always second in Spain" club

:lol::lol:

We've done remarkably well in Spain considering RM is the darling of the government to a degree Juve, Bayern, and United/Pool aren't in their respective countries.

Havesaks

In a book about Barca I read several years ago - that was a label applied in Spain to our club. "Aways coming second to R. Madrid. Having won every La Liga minus 3 since 08/09 and established a world wide equally strong brand as R. Madrid in the process, I personally don't think its a fitting label anymore. As it was put in the book, it was a well-known 'label' to our club in Spain football circles. Please correct if that's wrong

serghei

:lol::lol:

We've done remarkably well in Spain considering RM is the darling of the government to a degree Juve, Bayern, and United/Pool aren't in their respective countries.

RM have been slacking off domestically for the bigger portion of the last 30 years. Sooner or later then will understand that the trend is very harmful to their reputation.

You can't pretend to be the greatest club without a firm hold on your domestic championship. And Barca are really pushing for the no1 team in Spain position. If they get the La Liga record, on top of the Spanish Cup clear record... Madrid will basically be reduced to those early CEE titles before the competition became a thing.

KingLeo10

RM have been slacking off domestically for the bigger portion of the last 30 years. Sooner or later then will understand that the trend is very harmful to their reputation.

You can't pretend to be the greatest club without a firm hold on your domestic championship. And Barca are really pushing for the no1 team in Spain position. If they get the La Liga record, on top of the Spanish Cup clear record... Madrid will basically be reduced to those early CEE titles before the competition became a thing.

Agree. It's very different philosophies too.

For me, among the historical clubs there are clubs who prioritize cup competitions:

1) RM (only 1 European double between those 7 CL titles, some of the CLs came while they finished with ~70 points in the league)

2) Milan (only 1 European double between those 5 CL/EC titles in the modern era)

3) Liverpool (0 European doubles in the 2 CL titles in the modern era)

All 3 have never won a treble

Teams that go for all around domination:

1) Barca (5 European doubles in the 5 CL/EC titles, 4 of the 5 sides being historically great, 2 trebles)

2) United (2 European doubles in the 2 CL titles, first treble winners in history)

3) Bayern (2 European doubles in the 2 CL titles, treble)

All three have won a treble

This is why I don't get the inferiority complex from some fans towards RM (clearly our players don't have it lol). If you take out the 5 ECs in which there were basically 4-6 games and the competition was truly farmer level, they are just another historical club and not this all conquering behemoth of European football.

People also forget they went 30+ years without a EC at one point.

Last edited:

serghei

Yea, and it's good for football to not have a club having every big record. Madrid are still the most prestigious club, but in spite of their CLs, they are not nearly perfect and their domination has all sorts of holes.

I would say they didn't have such great teams, certainly not since I've watched football, and I know many fans that believe they are the biggest club, but neither of their teams would really be a match for the best sides of Barca, Milan, Ajax, Bayern or even Liverpool.

I also believe Madrid are the biggest overall, but football is certainly much more than just focusing on CL and slacking off in the league. Trying to capture all titles and giving your all every week is certainly more commendable than just giving 100% in CL and resting in between, ending 3rd or 4th in your league. There's a pattern in Madrid leaving the league for dead and going full throttle in CL. They are obsessed with the CL, and their record (inflated by those early 4-5 CLs) only adds to that obsession.

Last edited:

Havesaks

Yea, and it's good for football to not have a club having every big record. Madrid are still the most prestigious club, but in spite of their CLs, they are not nearly perfect and their domination has all sorts of holes.

I would say they didn't have such great teams, certainly not since I've watched football, and I know many fans that believe they are the biggest club, but neither of their teams would really be a match for the best sides of Barca, Milan, Ajax, Bayern or even Liverpool.

I also believe Madrid are the biggest overall, but football is certainly much more than just focusing on CL and slacking off in the league. Trying to capture all titles and giving your all every week is certainly more commendable than just giving 100% in CL and resting in between, ending 3rd or 4th in your league. There's a pattern in Madrid leaving the league for dead and going full throttle in CL. They are obsessed with the CL, and their record (inflated by those early 4-5 CLs) only adds to that obsession.

We had the best team in La Liga and the foundations which Pep, Messi and luck had set were rocksolid, its already impressive they snatched 16/17 away from us. And At. Madrids win in 13/14 was even more astracious. They never had a chance, and I don't think it's due to obsession with Champions Leauge. They fought all they could, but our team synergy was too strong. I still think that Madrid always had the better players, but it couldn't match up to our team play and style which suited leauge play. And despite all that, they still managed to win 4 champions leauge in the same period we won 3. And their triple chl-win left a lasting impression on the football World saying "we aren't inferior to Barca" despite us having our strongest and best period in history and maybe the best team in football history in 08-12.

That so-called obsession was Madrids biggest strength and it will further their identity and will to be European number 1 team (which player doesn't wanna be in such a club?) while our desire is being best in Spain apparently and just another big European player. Bigger goals, attracts bigger players and better players will secure better leauge results as well.

Its not as I seek fault in our own ambitions, we haven't big traditions in European context compared to Madrid, and it takes time to build that up. We have capatilized 'enough' on our team and luck, but it's just a shame that Madrid has been able to keep up.

So yes, I think their obsession with Chl has been their biggest support to keep up with us, since they never stood a chance anyway in la Liga. And it's not like they weren't giving it their all in leauge and traded leauge for champions league, but they just had the extra something in Chl.

Home of Barca Fans