Kylian Mbappé

Givenchy

I get the feeling it's all wrapped up but Madrid want to make the announcement after the CL.

Makes sense - keeps the focus on CL for now, and if they lose the CL, well there's this news to shift the narrative to. If they win it, double bonanza.

Exactly this

also Mbappe gets even more exposure with his la decision

No way he stays at PSG, the guy has ambition.

Yannik

I still don't get it. So what he has full image rights at Madrid? How exactly does that hurt Madrid, money-wise? How much are we talking about?

And why doesn't want PSG offer him full image rights? PSG is not short of money, is it?

Image rights is a pretty big thing afaik. If you have superstar status and you are the main attraction of the team, then most sponsorships your team has will be because of you. Many sponsors would outright reject Madrid if Mbapp? isn't part of the deal. Many would also probably pay him more than the whole rest of the club. (and that also affects FFP) It's a big chunk of revenue that gets diverted from the club to the player, it could be larger than the wage you already pay him.

Think of athletes worldfamous in teamless sports, like Federer, McGregor, Hamilton, Alvarez, Tiger Woods. These guys all sell themselves, they don't belong to a club that takes 80% of the revenue you give them. That's what that means. I believe Messi, Tom Brady and LeBron etc also have/had such agreements. It's like super-super-superstar treatment.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
It's been talked about to death, dont know why Luft is still confused, can work it out on a back of envelope

Mbappe stands to double or triple salary depending on what deals are secured
That would amount to an estimated minimum of 20M net club stands to lose each year assuming lucrative offers come their way as suspected.
Considering club is already trying to offset a chunk of player's wages in every possible case using image rights, it's not a surprise they're not thrilled about the demand

And PSG have been offering him full image rights from starters, or at least allegedly since Mbappe's mother went to Qatar for a chat with the emirs

Porque

Real Madrid can still use Mbappe as part of their team rights for promotional material (more than 3 or 4 players in shot - no fringe players).

The image rights will give Madrid a % of all of Mbappe's personal revenue from sponsors/endorsements which come into effect after his move to Madrid. The idea is the added benefit that moving to Madrid offers Mbappe and the new markets (Spanish speaking world) this opens to Mbappe through being attached to the Real Madrid brand.

It is a proven model that was effective historically with the galacticos and Ronaldo. Madrid split 50/50 up until Beckham. Ronaldo negotiated 40(Madrid)/60 and Madrid ceded even more (not reported how much) in his renegotiation.

It is unclear how much Madrid are willing to cede with Mbappe. Perhaps they are confident to turn him to the next Galactico, or conversely, are willing to give up more as they don't see him as a media star individually but a sporting one.

Yannik

It is unclear how much Madrid are willing to cede with Mbappe. Perhaps they are confident to turn him to the next Galactico, or conversely, are willing to give up more as they don't see him as a media star individually but a sporting one.

Apparently 75% is what Madrid sources report.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Image rights is a pretty big thing afaik. If you have superstar status and you are the main attraction of the team, then most sponsorships your team has will be because of you. Many sponsors would outright reject Madrid if Mbapp? isn't part of the deal. Many would also probably pay him more than the whole rest of the club. (and that also affects FFP) It's a big chunk of revenue that gets diverted from the club to the player, it could be larger than the wage you already pay him.

Think of athletes worldfamous in teamless sports, like Federer, McGregor, Hamilton, Alvarez, Tiger Woods. These guys all sell themselves, they don't belong to a club that takes 80% of the revenue you give them. That's what that means. I believe Messi, Tom Brady and LeBron etc also have/had such agreements. It's like super-super-superstar treatment.

Thanks. I think [MENTION=22241]Porque[/MENTION]'s explanation below is more plausible, that should Madrid offer him 100% image rights, Madrid will lose the money gained from Mbappe's personal sponsorships and endorsements etc., but I don't think any potential sponsors will outright reject Madrid or become hesitant to sponsor them simply because Mbappe has 100% of his image rights. He can still appear in team photo shoots or any Madrid-related marketing campaigns even with 100% image rights, right?

Porque

Thanks. I think [MENTION=22241]Porque[/MENTION]'s explanation below is more plausible, that should Madrid offer him 100% image rights, Madrid will lose the money gained from Mbappe's personal sponsorships and endorsements etc., but I don't think any potential sponsors will outright reject Madrid or become hesitant to sponsor them simply because Mbappe has 100% of his image rights. He can still appear in team photo shoots or any Madrid-related marketing campaigns even with 100% image rights, right?

Yeah Madrid can still sell their team rights and use a minimum amount of their star players which can include Mbappe. And Mbappe can certainly be an added benefit to achieve these deals and higher deals. It is why Barcelona traditionally (and I'm talking of Laportas first campaign) allowed the players to own 100% of their results so both have authonomy of their rights and can grow together.

Think of all those crisps and hairwash sponsorships you see with Barcelona around Asia featuring their star players.

Or in simpler terms. Here's Messi in Tokyo Barca ads, while being personally signed to Adidas.

tokyo-japan-12th-july-2019-a-pop-up-store-of-the-fc-barcelona-goods-barca-japan-tour-2019-official-store-stands-at-harajuku-in-tokyo-on-friday-july-12-2019-spains-fc-barcelona-will-have-games-against-englands-chelsea-and-japans-vissel-kobe-in-japan-this-month-credit-yoshio-tsunodaafloalamy-live-news-W33TF4.jpg

Different models. Who's to say what is more successful. Though if Fartomeu didn't shit on everything, in theory we could have higher growth thanks to both sides having mutual growth goals.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

I would be shocked if he stayed at PSG.

Everything points to Madrid. If they weren’t in the Champions League final I imagine this would have been announced by now.

krakdol

If he stays at PSG, it means Qatar has something great planned for PSG for their World Cup year, it's not about money, Mbappe will be extremely rich whatever happens, he doesn't care about that.

It would probably mean PSG is about to recruit great players, that's what Mbappe cares about. Outside of Verratti their midfield has always been very average. As an "ally" of UEFA during the SuperLeague failed revolt, they'll have more headway on the transfer and spending front.

Mbappe probably really wants to leave his birth place (he was born in Bondy, close to Paris) AFTER making them win the UCL, or at least try a last time with better players.

It would have the added bonus of allowing PSG to get some money back when he leaves for RM, which would probably be next year. That's something that probably matters for him too.

Still, in my opinion, for his career, he should leave now. It's ridiculous watching him play in Ligue 1 right now, like a world beater playing with kids. He's wasting part of his huge potential. His place is in Liga or PL...

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
It's not about the numbers really. PSG need to present a plan on why they are more likely to win CL with Mbappe, and that means names. Then he might sign a shorter contract with a gentleman's agreement to leave after they win CL.

But I doubt he's more convinced of PSG compared to Madrid. I know I wouldn't be, unless PSG open up the wallet and sign 2-3 high quality players.

El Gato

Villarato!
What can the Qatari even do more than they already are doing?
Buy FIFA license to ensure they can continue to do the video game with his face on when EA eventually lose rights to it? Lol

It's a tic toc stage and I'm all for it but speculation is more daft the closer to decision we are than it used to be
At least back then it used to be the boring theories about Perez 'pulling a Figo' and securing his transfer way back ahead of his rescheduled reelection last year

Rassvet

https://twitter.com/theMadridZone/s...^1527632872630263808|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Wait, does that mean we are offering him to be sporting director at RM now?

Could be his mom setting the stage for him to stay by claiming the offers are equal to push back against the idea that he is staying because of getting more money or all those privileges.

If he were joining Madrid, it would probably be better to have the narrative that PSG was offering much more but he still chose Madrid anyway,

Home of Barca Fans