Kevin De Bruyne

KingLeo10

While Xavi and Iniesta were great players and one of the best in their teams they were also lucky that their peak coincided with some of the greatest club and national sides in history.

That Spanish National Team had so many great players that even people like David Silva, Fabregas, Cazorla weren't definite starters throughout. They had Xavi Iniesta Busquets Alonso Torres Villa Puyol Ramos Pique Casillas. :lol: :lol:

Similarly, Barca in their golden era had one of the greatest managers of all time, arguably for some and definitely for some the greatest player of all time, Eto'o, Henry, Neymar, Suarez, Busquets, Puyol, Pique, Alves, Rakitic and many many others alongside Xavi and Iniesta.

Both these teams playing the exact and the only style of play Xavi and Iniesta excel in maximizing all of their best qualities.

It'll be unfair to not admit that it takes a lot of luck to have such support.

In these conversations, at the highest level, luck is definitely a factor.

Xavi and Iniesta played for better teams and more cohesive units than Zidane.

Comparing individuals should always have some balance between individual ability and team trophies. Taking everything into account, Zizou still comes out on top imo.
You might want to check the list of legends that ZZ played with for France 98-06 (especially 00 and 06) and at RM (and also Juve).

Xavi and Iniesta had more help at the club level for sure but at the NT level, those France teams were seriously stacked. It's a wash when it comes to quality of teammates.

Temptation

You might want to check the list of legends that ZZ played with for France 98-06 (especially 00 and 06) and at RM (and also Juve).

Xavi and Iniesta had more help at the club level for sure but at the NT level, those France teams were seriously stacked. It's a wash when it comes to quality of teammates.
Not in the final they lost in 2006.

Spain had all these players at their absolute peak playing the perfect style of Football that suited them.

Spain 2010>>>France 2006.

That Spain team in the WC was one of the most boring teams I have seen though. They just passed the opponents to death. I hated watching that team.

IIRC, you agreed with ZZ being ahead of Xavi overall in the past? Pretty sure we discussed it before?

JamDav1982

Not in the final they lost in 2006.

Spain had all these players at their absolute peak playing the perfect style of Football that suited them.

Spain 2010>>>France 2006.

That Spain team in the WC was one of the most boring teams I have seen though. They just passed the opponents to death. I hated watching that team.

The final Zidane got sent off in and let his team down...

Spain won in 2010.. France lost.. it is irrelevant argument and not one in favour to lose with worse team.

Zidane signed for Juve and Real when had won CLs in previous few years also.

jamrock

It's actually crazy how Iniesta won 7 out of 7 CL/WC/Euro finals played and Xavi won 6 out of 6 :lol: And they weren't journeymen either. Trophy winning goals, assists, and MOTM awards in these finals.

Most players consider it a great career to even win 1 of those once (KDB for example or Chiellini with Euro)
Stunning stuff, truly stunning.

Did they ever lose a big final they played in? I don't think so.

Jordon levels of greatness

JamDav1982

That France team had WC winning Barthez in goals, Thuram, Gallas, Abidal and Sagnol in defence... Viera and Makelee deeper in midfield and Zidane/Ribery and Henry in attack.

Henry in my opinion was best in world at that point and worst case second to Ronaldinho.

That was a strong France team.

If not Xavi who were the top top players in that Spain team in comparison?

jamrock

I swear, the only Zidane people remembers is the one performing in big games for France and in UCL, not how many times he had "meh" performances in la liga, believe me, he had quite a few.

Fair enough he was gotten older by then, but still.
Yep been saying this.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Zidane is one of the most overrated players of all time. Would regularly get booed at the Bernabeu but world didn't see that and instead remember him for some stand out moments in CL and for France.

If you take those 2 headers against Brazil and that volley against Leverkusen away, he would be seen in a very different light.

When Juve sold him their chairman said that he was "more entertaining than effective". I always remembered that as it was the perfect way to describe him.

jamrock

Zidane is one of the most overrated players of all time. Would regularly get booed at the Bernabeu but world didn't see that and instead remember him for some stand out moments in CL and for France.

If you take those 2 headers against Brazil and that volley against Leverkusen away, he would be seen in a very different light.

When Juve sold him their chairman said that he was "more entertaining than effective". I always remembered that as it was the perfect way to describe him.
That last bit

bismp

To be fair though, Xavi and Iniesta did practically share their entire club and NT career. Both were elite and deservedly belong in the GOAT CM conversation, but in terms of accolades, it is difficult to say that the one was clearly more valuable than the other (though I do hold Xavi in a better position, evidenced by Barca's and Spain's rapid decline as he aged).

As for KdB, it is more fair and interesting to compare him with other PL greats, like Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes. In this conversation, he could have an argument as the GOAT PL CM.

vegitot

Zidane played with the best generation of France football: Henry, Pires, Thuram, Desailly, Vieira, Blanc, Lizarazu....

Don't act like he played with some bums.

If Zidane played in today football, he would be criticized much more, due to his inconsistency at club level.

vegitot

That France team had WC winning Barthez in goals, Thuram, Gallas, Abidal and Sagnol in defence... Viera and Makelee deeper in midfield and Zidane/Ribery and Henry in attack.

Henry in my opinion was best in world at that point and worst case second to Ronaldinho.

That was a strong France team.

If not Xavi who were the top top players in that Spain team in comparison?
Zidane was not even best player in that France team. Vieira, Henry, Thuram were all better.

JamDav1982

Zidane was not even best player in that France team. Vieira, Henry, Thuram were all better.

None of them had better careers overall and as far as remember that 2006 Zidane was class and better than he was in 1998.

He was brilliant in the game v Brazil for example...far far ahead of Ronaldinho in that game who was at his peak.

That game is all time great WC performance level.

JamDav1982

Zidane was then the best player on park in semi final also v Portugal and scored in 1-0 win.

He was by levels Frances best player in that tournament and best player in whole tournament.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Zidane was then the best player on park in semi final also v Portugal and scored in 1-0 win.

He was by levels Frances best player in that tournament and best player in whole tournament.

highlights which i dont watch one time per year :pique: Zidane was fantastic in that match, i already knew it will be hard to stop that guy

2006 was Zidane's worldcup even tough he didnt win it

Home of Barca Fans