Jeremy Mathieu

BarcaJack

This signing could be really hard to tell. I don't doubt his skills especially air ability; however, Valencia as a team has malfunctioned for a while now. His relatively "good" performance may be emphasized by their relatively 'poor' team performance. And there is no way to guarantee that he will fit into our tiki-taka system.
My idea is that if he can fulfill a role like Abidal did, this is already a good signing. I don't count on him to fix all our defense problems.
Good luck JM and please stay healthy...

BTW someone has something to say about his speed?

Last edited:

Irish_Cules

This signing could be really hard to tell. I don't doubt his skills especially air ability; however, Valencia as a team has malfunctioned for a while now. His relatively "good" performance may be emphasized by their relatively 'poor' team performance. And there is no way to guarantee that he will fit into our tiki-taka system.
My idea is that if he can fulfill a role like Abidal did, this is already a good signing. I don't count on him to fix all our defense problems.
Good luck JM and please stay healthy...

That doesn't really make any sense does it? Surely it makes his performances even more impressive? It's quite amazing how well he did considering he had captain fantastic Ricardo Costa beside him.

F

Flavia

Not all who are criticizing this deal are doing it because of Mathieu's quality, but for the price that has been paid for a 31 years old. I was one of those who wanted him here, but no way I imagined Barca is going to pay 20m to bring him here. The price-tag is a bit of a turn off for me tbh.

Would you rather they hadn't paid it, no one was signed, and then keep playing Masch at cb?

Valencia was adamant, and Mathieu took a pay cut of 3m. In a world where David Luiz cost 60m, Mathieu's price isn't that bad. Also, Mathieu>Luiz.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Would you rather they hadn't paid it, no one was signed, and then keep playing Masch at cb?

Valencia was adamant, and Mathieu took a pay cut of 3m. In a world where David Luiz cost 60m, Mathieu's price isn't that bad. Also, Mathieu>Luiz.

Come on. You really think Mathieu was the last option for Barca?! Ofc they were going to sign another defender if they couldn't get Mathieu. But from this price tag I assume Lucho wanted him at all costs.

And in what world Mathieu>Luiz?? Luiz is a Brazil NT starter, a starter for Chelsea, 27 years old, capable of playing as CB, LB and DM. Mathieu's biggest achievement as a player was joining FC Barcelona at the age of 31.

F

Flavia

Come on. You really think Mathieu was the last option for Barca?! Ofc they were going to sign another defender if they couldn't get Mathieu. But from this price tag I assume Lucho wanted him at all costs.

And in what world Mathieu>Luiz?? Luiz is a Brazil NT starter, a starter for Chelsea, 27 years old, capable of playing as CB, LB and DM. Mathieu's biggest achievement as a player was joining FC Barcelona at the age of 31.

For Barça, Mathieu>Luiz any day. Luiz is a horrible cb, I really don't know why he is a starter for the nt, and the wc showed this pretty well.
And who else can you see them signing, with Mathieu's profile? I can't see anyone else. If another cb is bought, it will be a gamble, like Marquinhos. It won't be an experienced one, nor it will be a marquee signing.

Tomchin

Good signing position-wise, but yet another terrible deal financially for the club. I hope he does not prove to be yet another Dmytro Chrigrinskiy... Same built and characteristics, hopefully not the same outcome...
Chygr was a slow turtle, not comparable to Mathieu at all.

And i think Mathieu is a better fit for us than D Luiz, yes.

Chainsaw

Killahead
For Barça, Mathieu>Luiz any day. Luiz is a horrible cb, I really don't know why he is a starter for the nt, and the wc showed this pretty well.
And who else can you see them signing, with Mathieu's profile? I can't see anyone else. If another cb is bought, it will be a gamble, like Marquinhos. It won't be an experienced one, nor it will be a marquee signing.

Mathieu is not exactly a guaranteed success. I'm not really counting on him as the definite starter. As of now I put Pique and Bartra ahead of him, until he proves himself. And if by any chance he fail here, 20m is flush down the toilet as no one will pay even 1/4 of what we paid for a 32 years old flop. This deal from an economical point of view was a terrible deal. The only thing we could be happy about is that "finally" a defender has arrived.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Valencia had the upper hand in negotiations. Only thing board could have done was pay up or move on to another target.

So buying an average 30-year old CB for 20M is OK, but selling highly respected striker Villa for 2M is also OK, because he was old. :lol:

He had massive wages and wanted to stay in Spain.

Well we need to sell alves for that. If we go for cuadrado instead of a CB it might happen. And going after cuadrado is just what barca will do mostly.

Alves only took the #22 as a one season tribute to Abidal.

F

Flavia

Mathieu is not exactly a guaranteed success. I'm not really counting on him as the definite starter. As of now I put Pique and Bartra ahead of him, until he proves himself. And if by any chance he fail here, 20m is flush down the toilet as no one will pay even 1/4 of what we paid for a 32 years old flop. This deal from an economical point of view was a terrible deal. The only thing we could be happy about is that "finally" a defender has arrived.

I don't think he'll flop. The guy is dedicated and was keen to join. He will give his best, and his strenghts are what Barça was lacking for a while. The 20m was the own board's fault, for taking so long to sign someone. Mathieu could had come last season, for 10m, and we'd probably would've won la liga. From an economical point of view, any club would try to get the maximum possible, Barça didn't have any upper hand. Now, that there is a cb, this might change.

Capitan Puyol

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/09...r-of-guardiola-early-on-but-barca-fight-back/

barca-valencia.jpg

Look this. The match is Valencia - Barcelona 2:2 (autumn 2011) - Mathieu is a wingback/winger, not a center back. He played well on the left wing under Emery in Valencia.

"Unai Emery tried his trick from last season against Barcelona, fielding two left-backs in Jeremy Mathieu and Jordi Alba down the left, in order to deal with the forward runs of Dani Alves."

"This was the key factor in the game. Emery’s double left-back strategy had worked well at the Camp Nou last year – Valencia scored with a break through Mathieu, and were 1-0 up at half time until Barca staged a second half comeback."

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans